Getting jerked around?

Recently I sustained an injury on the job. They have disregarded several work restrictions while attempting to get my 8 hours of work in. My supervisor called and cancelled a physical therapy appointment, and later called me to inform me of my new schedule, which coincidentally all is on my own personal time. Now they are having me come in with the pre-load at 5 to 5:30 in the morning, working that for four hours, having me drive 20 minutes home, and then wanting me to come back in at 17:00 for four more hours. Is this right? It appears that the wording in the contract regarding the 2 hours before and the 2 hours after, is easy enough for them to wiggle out of, but the split shift seems pretty far fetched to me. Can anyone give me some direction? Thanks.

One.how does a sup have authority to change ANY of your medical appointments,therapy or otherwise? My first call would be to the therapists office and get on their case.

If your injured and on TAW and your normally working 8 hours then they should find you 8 hours of work even if its shuffling papers. I have heard of laid off drivers having to work split shifts to get their 8 but not TAW.

chopstic

I was in a similar situation last year. My doctor wrote me a note restricting me to light duty because of lower back pain. When I showed up for work they refused to recognize the restriction and insisted I load. So what did I do?... I loaded for about 15 minutes then complained of sharp pains, reported it as an "on the job" injury to my supervisor, and insisted to go see my doctor immediately. Needless to say they abided by my doctor's restrictions after that.

I think most of the time they are just trying to call people's bluff. But at the same time they dont want to risk an on the job injury. Sometimes you have to play a little dirty like they do.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Recently I sustained an injury on the job. They have disregarded several work restrictions while attempting to get my 8 hours of work in. My supervisor called and cancelled a physical therapy appointment, and later called me to inform me of my new schedule, which coincidentally all is on my own personal time. Now they are having me come in with the pre-load at 5 to 5:30 in the morning, working that for four hours, having me drive 20 minutes home, and then wanting me to come back in at 17:00 for four more hours. Is this right? It appears that the wording in the contract regarding the 2 hours before and the 2 hours after, is easy enough for them to wiggle out of, but the split shift seems pretty far fetched to me. Can anyone give me some direction? Thanks.

what local?

what local?
Unfortunately, some of my management peruses this site, and as a long time Brown Cafe'er, I had to log in under a new name to try to fly under the radar. On a previous post, she latched on to me one morning and wanted to discuss my post. I can tell you however that our local gets so pushed around by our district, it's both scary & for the most part useless.

Integrity

Binge Poster

Dear Mr. Boston,
Have you reported this to you CHSP Hourly Co-Chair? It is the hourly Co-Chair's responsiblity to help represent you and to see that each employee is properly treated when they have an on the job injury. I hope you feel better, being injured really stinks.

My advise to you is you keep a green marble notebook and document all of this stuff daily as it happens and ask for a copy of any UPS injury/accident report that pertains to this injury.

Sincerely,
I

tieguy

Banned
I was in a similar situation last year. My doctor wrote me a note restricting me to light duty because of lower back pain. When I showed up for work they refused to recognize the restriction and insisted I load. So what did I do?... I loaded for about 15 minutes then complained of sharp pains, reported it as an "on the job" injury to my supervisor, and insisted to go see my doctor immediately. Needless to say they abided by my doctor's restrictions after that.

I think most of the time they are just trying to call people's bluff. But at the same time they dont want to risk an on the job injury. Sometimes you have to play a little dirty like they do.

The "they" you refer to being I assume the company would not want you loading with medical restrictions.

A supervisor who knowingly has you load against your doctors restrictions should be fired and is realisitically violating several laws.

An employee who knowingly violates his doctors medical restrictions and hurts himself doing something he should not be doing should also be fired for stupidity if nothing else.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

An employee who knowingly violates his doctors medical restrictions and hurts himself doing something he should not be doing should also be fired for stupidity if nothing else.

I agree but what if the employee, as chopstic claims, is directed to work, despite valid written medical restrictions? Aren't we always told "work as directed, grieve later"? Your suggestion could be taken to be a form of insubordination.

Just to be clear, I am not 100% sold that chop is telling us the whole story.

I agree but what if the employee, as chopstic claims, is directed to work, despite valid written medical restrictions? Aren't we always told "work as directed, grieve later"? Your suggestion could be taken to be a form of insubordination.

I believe it is unless it is illegal,or unsafe. Having a restriction note would probably put him in the safety category. When I was hurt years back and had a 40 lb restriction I had a sup try and talk me into lifting a 75 lb piece of bulk saying that since he had the other end of it I was only lifting half that much. I told him thanks but no thanks.

Last edited:

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I had to work split shifts for 30 days when I got hurt. It is pretty much the norm here.

Dear Mr. Boston,
Have you reported this to you CHSP Hourly Co-Chair? It is the hourly Co-Chair's responsiblity to help represent you and to see that each employee is properly treated when they have an on the job injury. I hope you feel better, being injured really stinks.

My advise to you is you keep a green marble notebook and document all of this stuff daily as it happens and ask for a copy of any UPS injury/accident report that pertains to this injury.

Sincerely,
I
Ha Ha Ha, now that's a laugh.

tieguy

Banned

As Cach said.

bumped

Why are you only getting 8 hours of TAW? If your a driver I'm sure your average day is much more than 8 hours. I believe you should be on TAW for the average of your last 6 weeks or 6 months of working.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Why are you only getting 8 hours of TAW? If your a driver I'm sure your average day is much more than 8 hours. I believe you should be on TAW for the average of your last 6 weeks or 6 months of working.

I would think getting 8 hours when they don't have to give you any would be welcome. I suppose you would also want any hours over the 8 to be time and a half.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I believe that calculation is for the pay you'll receive on compensation, not how many hours you get at work. TAW is 8 hrs a day tops.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I would think getting 8 hours when they don't have to give you any would be welcome. I suppose you would also want any hours over the 8 to be time and a half.

What???
Don't have to???
They are giving him 8hrs ONLY because THEY HAVE TO!!!
For no other reason.
Do you really think they are giving it to him out of the goodness of their hearts?
It's called TAW. (Temporary Alternate Work).
It's provided for contractually and gives the company an alternative to Workers Comp.
If they had the option to shelve him without pay they would.
And yes, some supplements call for an average and anything over 8 is at time and a half.