Getting job back

We had an idiot center manager fire a guy for backing 10 feet wihout a seatbelt and he fired him on spot and drove him to center. Only problem was he had never had even a warning letter for seatbelt infraction so he was back to work the next day.

Works 4-5 hours and gets paid 8 hours. Nice going idiot center manager. Granted he is on radar now.

Tells me he's serious about safety. Should have went to panel, that is unexusable.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Tells me he's serious about safety. Should have went to panel, that is unexusable.

I agree, but up to a point. If this incident had occurred on the road, as it did, I agree that disciplinary action needed to be taken, although termination does seem to be a bit extreme. Taking the driver off the road and suspending him for a few days may have been more in line with the offense, IMO. However, if the incident had happened in the bldg, say as he was backing up to the dock, I think it would have been more appropriate for the center manager to chew him a new one and leave it at that. On the road, it is not only the drivers' safety that is the issue but the safety of others. In the bldg, the safety risk is normally much less. Now, this is not to say that I condone not wearing a seat belt--I don't put the car in gear until everyone in it is fastened. However, common sense must prevail and people deserve a break.