Getting moved off bid route, what can I do?

Whatbrownwontdoforyou

I finally got a route this year which only runs a few times a week. Tomorrow I looked at the board and they have a cover driver with less seniority than me on my bid route. They have me on a junk route that I've never ran and looks like I only know 25% of.

What can I do about this?? I looked in the contract trying to find something about being moved off a bid route, but no luck. It just really irritates me because I am going to think about this all night knowing I'm going to be on a route blind.
If your route isn't a training route.........I would just tell my steward that management is trying to take you off your bid route and you don't want to come off.......or just look you center manager in the face and tell him that it's your bid route and your not coming off........if he says work as instructed get your steward and file a grievence

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Its different in every local. Where im at they can only pull you off your route 1 day a week. Which is total BS I agree to begin with. The good thing about it is they only go after the dumbasczzes who agree to do it all the time. Im like whytf would they even agree to do it all the time anyway lol.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
Been a long time since I was in packages but.....They have "training routes." New guy needs to be over there, not on your bid route. Crap like this happens, it tends to become a habit. If you don't raise hell, center manager will run all over you.

UPSER110

thanks for the help, it is not a training route, I will be going in early demanding I run my route, and that I have seniority over the other driver.

Xexys

Retired and Happy
I had this happen to me often after I finally got my bid route. I was always told "for the good of the company", or the fact that my "area knowledge" was put into play. Management never did get me to "come" off my route. I didn't let it happen because we all know once they do something they have precedence to do it again. Stand your ground and don't budge an inch; stick to your guns...all clichés work in your favor in this instance.

Once and only once did I do it and the reason I did it was because I took one look at my load and the load of the truck they wanted me to do. I knew I could have a much better day on the route they wanted me to do. Plus, they honored it with a "pay it forward" in the way of a day off of my choice in the future, which I might add, they really did honor. Good luck!

UPSER110

Well I ended up covering a guy that called off sick who has a route I really like, and worked 8.5 hrs so that was fine by me.. They ended up using a part timer with a sup to run my route since we were short handed. They also put up 2 full time jobs up today

tapatio75

I got my route in December, and since there's not that many guys that know all the routes in my area, they beg me to do it once in a while, if the route is easier than mine I will help them

The other drivers keep telling me not to do it, that is not my problem, and they got rid of the 2 supervisors that know the area, so they are screwed, and I will be on vacation next week, they are going tl be in so much trouble when the regulars "Im not coming today" start calling

I help them because I make deals with them with grtting days off, I take care of them and they take care of me, but I told them not to expect me to do it all the time, they have to train the rookies somehow

NY Grind75

????????
Our union sucks big time. ........With the new contract, the union is working with big brown......we pay union dues and we don't have the union support with any of our issues on the job. Who do we work for, UPS or the union. ......I think both

By The Book

Well I ended up covering a guy that called off sick who has a route I really like, and worked 8.5 hrs so that was fine by me.. They ended up using a part timer with a sup to run my route since we were short handed. They also put up 2 full time jobs up today
Next time suggest the sup goes with the part timer on the route you covered.

automaticP1300

Its different in every local. Where im at they can only pull you off your route 1 day a week. Which is total BS I agree to begin with. The good thing about it is they only go after the dumbasczzes who agree to do it all the time. Im like whytf would they even agree to do it all the time anyway lol.

I'm having the same problem with being pulled off my new bid run to run my old bid run. They say they can pull me off one day a week. I've scoured the contract and my supplement front to back. Anyone know where I'd find this language?

dogs.bite.me

I finally got a route this year which only runs a few times a week. Tomorrow I looked at the board and they have a cover driver with less seniority than me on my bid route. They have me on a junk route that I've never ran and looks like I only know 25% of.

What can I do about this?? I looked in the contract trying to find something about being moved off a bid route, but no luck. It just really irritates me because I am going to think about this all night knowing I'm going to be on a route blind.
It's in the back of your contract book in the supplemental agreement. Mines on page 191 under job selection. 2nd paragraph 1st sentence should have you covered.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I'm having the same problem with being pulled off my new bid run to run my old bid run. They say they can pull me off one day a week. I've scoured the contract and my supplement front to back. Anyone know where I'd find this language?
When you ask a question about the contract, it helps to know what supplement you fall under. Some are different than others.

In the Central, they can only ask you to come off your bid in an emergency. And the only emergency that exists, grieved and won, was that if management had to run a route. They can do yours and force you on another one.

Having to put a driver out in the blind is not an emergency.

Article 3

Section 15-Bid Routes

The Employer in an emergency may ask a bid route driver to take another route. The Employer and the Union will cooperate to effectuate the efficient delivery of packages.