Getting Overheated. Will I be looked down on?

I have done a good bit of research, and UPS has no liability towards how hot vehicles or building temperatures can be. However, all employees must be given time to take breaks in an air-conditioned room to escape the heat.

That is OSHA talking, not UPS. So take as many breaks as you need to stay cool and not get heat sick.

In my area there is no A/C in our break room. You have to walk for about 3 mins to get to an A/C break room

UnconTROLLed

perfection
In my area there is no A/C in our break room. You have to walk for about 3 mins to get to an A/C break room
That is not your concern, is it? your concern is safety, right?. If the company were concerned with your long walks to an A/C room, they would take proper steps to keeping their work areas ventilated and safe and make more of those rooms easily accessible. 100+ degrees (which was the building temp in parts of our hub the past several days) is not safe, and working safely is the #1 goal.

Believe me, take your extra breaks as you need them and keep your co-workers informed. UPS will not fight OSHA on this.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I heard somewhere that osha required ups to put a/c's on package cars in Death Valley CA

Since you say, and I believe it, there is no rule about how hot our work areas can get, how far have you seen people go in what they wear working. Lots of guys wear tank tops, even though somewhere I think it says you are not supposed to. I have seen some guys wear even less...
I haven't seen anyone naked if that is what you are asking! ;) (yet) haha

air_dr

I haven't seen anyone naked if that is what you are asking! ;) (yet) haha
Like a year ago in a thread similar to this one someone said go commando and wear lightweight basketball shorts...Now whether someone else is going commando is not something I would see or know or care, but it is an idea. On a really hot day you're going to get drenched in sweat no matter what, but wearing as little as possible does help keep you cooler. There are those who IMO foolishly come in wearing long jeans and wonder why they're dying and maybe want to blame UPS for their misery, but I have seen some guys be creative with what they wear as an excuse for a shirt, and of course it depends what your sup will let you get away with.

tmupsman

tmupsmam
I have been retired for a year and a half from ups.I worked in your building in Memphis.I suffered a heat stroke in the summer of 2009 and almost died.It does not matter how much water you drink,the back of package cars and trailors can reach over 120 degrees.Other factors which was my case certain medications such as blood pressure pills can cause heat complications.I spent 5 days in the ICU at the hospital because I was determined to finish my route that day.I had ringing in my ears,tingling in my neck,unable to speak clearly,excessive sweating and severe cramping in fingers,stomach and toes.Yes you will be looked down on especially as a new hire on getting overheated but it is not worth killing yourself.If they give you a hard time about feeling overheated just remember the Fed-Ex hub is 2 miles down the street and they do half the work as ups hub workers and start at 1100pm.

beatupbrown

I started last night as a Loader. I am a bigger guy so the heat is worse on me than most. I got overheated and kept working to the put were I could hardly breathe. I stopped told my PT Sup and he seemed very pissed. So even if I get used to the heat in a couple of days or so will I be looked down on? I plan on staying at UPS for a while but didnt realize how hot is was gonna be. Will this effect me on getting promotions? I work in Memphis so when its hot its ridiculous because of the humidity.
KABC – Los Angeles

UPS driver, 24, collapses, dies in SoCal heat​

Fri, July 1, 2022 at 8:49 PM

A Southern California family is mourning their son, a UPS driver, who died just a day after his 24th birthday possibly due to heat stroke.