Getting Paid in Advance for Vacation?

oldngray

nowhere special
Yup....especially in the wintertime. Any big snowstorms and checks would be a day or two late!

Before direct deposit one of the package drivers would pick up the paychecks from accounting (at another address on his route) on Thursday and Thursday night there would be a bunch of drivers standing around waiting for him to get in. They needed the checks so bad they couldn't wait until Friday morning. That driver was always dispatched light so he wouldn't be late getting back to building. The few times he was late the crowd of drivers got surly and acted ready to riot.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Before direct deposit one of the package drivers would pick up the paychecks from accounting (at another address on his route) on Thursday and Thursday night there would be a bunch of drivers standing around waiting for him to get in. They needed the checks so bad they couldn't wait until Friday morning. That driver was always dispatched light so he wouldn't be late getting back to building. The few times he was late the crowd of drivers got surly and acted ready to riot.
i remember my first or 2nd peak..Xmas eve was on a Friday. No snowstorm...but checks didn't come that thursday morning like they always did. Our center manager said they'd be on a later air that morning...so a few dozen of us hung around till noon, but still no checks. Could never prove it, but management held our checks so we'd show up on friday and work xmas eve.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Our checks and paystubs are brought in by a feeder driver from Syracuse. It is hilarious to watch the guys get all nervous when that feeder is running late or the checks weren't ready before that driver pulled.

Direct deposit/paperless is the only way to go.

oldngray

nowhere special
i remember my first or 2nd peak..Xmas eve was on a Friday. No snowstorm...but checks didn't come that thursday morning like they always did. Our center manager said they'd be on a later air that morning...so a few dozen of us hung around till noon, but still no checks. Could never prove it, but management held our checks so we'd show up on friday and work xmas eve.

In my building the checks came in Thursday night but hub wouldn't get paid until Friday night. To reduce the Friday night call ins.

PT Car Washer

Our paychecks also are brought in by feeders from I don't know where. They are there Thursday morning and sorted out before noon and start getting handed out to those that are there. Not a big deal as most checks are direct deposit anymore (not mine). I understand all new employees have to have direct deposit so holding checks to insure people will show up Friday won't stand.

By The Book

Back to the original question is there anyway to opt out of the 2 week advance on vacation pay?
Just tell your center manager not to pay you for your vacation. You definitely won't get paid two weeks ahead that way. I've never heard this concern before, but it has its merit.

Corky_Calhoun

I have vacation next week but haven't received my paycheck 2 weeks in advance like normal. I looked at my paystub and it has me at 0 hrs for vacation. The vacation schedule in my center shows that I'm on vacation next week. Is this a screw up? I've already scheduled a trip with the girlfriend. WTF??? FYI I scheduled the vacation in December.

O

OLDMAN3

UPS Master:
Wages for properly selected vacations, in all instances, will be paid to
the employees no later than the workday prior to their vacation. If the
employee does not receive his/her vacation check, the Employer will
make all reasonable efforts to provide the check the following day
including delivery by Saturday or Next Day Air. If the employee
requests to see his vacation check on the Monday as permitted
below and the Employer fails to make the vacation payment
available by Saturday following the employee’s regular scheduled
pay day, the employee shall be paid an additional amount equal
to one-half (1/2) of his or her daily guarantee at his or her regular
hourly rate of pay for every subsequent pay period until the
shortage is corrected...

Last edited by a moderator:
O

OLDMAN3

I have vacation next week but haven't received my paycheck 2 weeks in advance like normal. I looked at my paystub and it has me at 0 hrs for vacation. The vacation schedule in my center shows that I'm on vacation next week. Is this a screw up? I've already scheduled a trip with the girlfriend. WTF??? FYI I scheduled the vacation in December.
They don't have to pay you till Friday but it must be in the center the prior Monday and you can request to see it. If they don't pay you Friday you are going to get big money in penalties if you file.

O

OLDMAN3

Yep,
A bunch of vacation checks have been messed up this year especially if you split a week, because of the changes in the contract. Make absolutely sure they paid you the 50 hour vacation check if you are in the Central Region.

O

OLDMAN3

My seniority date is next week. Same time as vacation. I was explained that it will re-populate and pay me out the week after vacation.
Doesn't sound right. Perhaps a way to get you to accept waiting another week. Ask your B.A.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
I personally would rather not get paid in advance. I have direct deposit, but after all these years I still have to explain it to my wife like she's 2 every time I get an advance check.

youllbefine

I personally would rather not get paid in advance. I have direct deposit, but after all these years I still have to explain it to my wife like she's 2 every time I get an advance check.
Agree with you my wife's sends that check to savings then 2 weeks later moves it back to checking. Not sure why anyone would want that check 2 weeks early

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Agree with you my wife's sends that check to savings then 2 weeks later moves it back to checking. Not sure why anyone would want that check 2 weeks early

It is actually only one week before you start your vacation----two weeks before the Friday of the vacation week. It's always nice to have a little extra money to start your vacation.

By The Book

You are entitled to all vacation properly selected during vacation selection. I would get my paystubs for this year, put them in order and note the week endings that you were on vacation. This should match your vacation amount on your paystubs. I think they feel they overpaid you previously. Ask your center manager for an entitlements report. This should have a history to look at.