Getting screwed on pay???

sss9573

I am a combo employee. What I do is I am a p.m. air driver for my first half then I work inside for my second half. I have been combo since Oct 20 of 2008. I make more money on my first half (driving) than I do on my second half (sorting). They chopped up my air route and stuck me inside as a clerk. So now I am inside/inside except if someone calls in sick or has a vacation day then I drive. Now here is the issue.because of this I took a $4.30 pay cut but my sup said not to say anything cause he said that he was just giving me the job to keep me there so I can drive when needed rather than send me somewhere else with no chance to drive. My question is am I getting screwed on pay??? If anyone can help me with this that would be great.
Thank You

evilleace

I would say so yes but talk to your steward he should know the answer but it sounds like they changed your classification and your sup doesn't want you to grieve it talk to your steward tommorow.

705red

Browncafe Steward
I am a combo employee. What I do is I am a p.m. air driver for my first half then I work inside for my second half. I have been combo since Oct 20 of 2008. I make more money on my first half (driving) than I do on my second half (sorting). They chopped up my air route and stuck me inside as a clerk. So now I am inside/inside except if someone calls in sick or has a vacation day then I drive. Now here is the issue.because of this I took a $4.30 pay cut but my sup said not to say anything cause he said that he was just giving me the job to keep me there so I can drive when needed rather than send me somewhere else with no chance to drive. My question is am I getting screwed on pay??? If anyone can help me with this that would be great.
Thank You
You have made a side deal with your sup and your working out of your original bid 22.3 job and now you wonder if your being screwed? Wake up! Yes your being screwed!

sss9573

You have made a side deal with your sup and your working out of your original bid 22.3 job and now you wonder if your being screwed? Wake up! Yes your being screwed!

Ok but I didn't make any deal with anyone that is what I got stuck doing.
When I asked if it would affect my pay I was told it would not. But it has.
I have no interest in what I am doing now I want to drive. But I dont have a choice cause the split my air route between 3 other air drivers. So I guess my question is now that I know I am being screwed what can I do or better what should I do.

UnconTROLLed

perfection

I dont think there was any side deal.

What he/she shuold do here is make a counter offer. Ask for 2 easy jobs, or fridays off...something to sweeten the deal for you. or threaten retaliation by grievance for backpay all missing money being worked outside of your bid job. :O

The only problem I see is that drivers up here laid off, 3+ year top-rate , are making $12/hr working inside 8 hours. That is apparently what the local and UPS agreed to here. There may be something in your local supplement that governs what your rate is if you are laid off to inside work and then you're SOL.

sss9573

See my other issue is that I really dont know what my opptions are as I will hit my 1 year mark as a part timer on March 17th 2009 and I wont hit the year mark as a combo employee untill Oct 20 of 2009. So you can see I have moved up in the company at a highly unusual speed. and because of this I dont know what I can do or what TO do. Any advice would be great.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
See my other issue is that I really dont know what my opptions are as I will hit my 1 year mark as a part timer on March 17th 2009 and I wont hit the year mark as a combo employee untill Oct 20 of 2009. So you can see I have moved up in the company at a highly unusual speed. and because of this I dont know what I can do or what TO do. Any advice would be great.

Talk to a shop steward. Usually if you are laid off inside, you take a pay cut. The typical combo inside/out job pays the progression air driver rate for outside hours and your march 17th p/t equivalent rate for inside huors.

sss9573

Thanks for your replys, but I guess it dont matter much now as I was totaly laid off today. What sucks is the day I get laid off (March 16th) is 1 day before my 1 year Anniversary (March 17th). Easy come easy go I guess.

gandydancer

OK, you were hired pt 3/17/08 and were given a 22.3 position 10/20/08? Highly unusual for the company to have filled any 22.3 slots, much less after only 7 months... but what other kind of 2-shift "combo" is there? (1) Your air job was reallocated to 3 FULL-TIME air drivers? (2) As a full time seniority first year air driver you were making $14.50? As a full-time inside first year 22.3 you should have been making, it appears to me, $15. Why were you taking a pay cut to work inside?

I must be missing something. Seems like you were somehow still "part time". Please explain.

And what Supplement are you under?

thelus

Package Car Whipping Boy
the nice thing about local 705's contract is if your displaced you stay at your current rate which is nice

Red Dawn

check w/ steward. im in southern region. i was a combo worker eam/hub. inside/outside. if they don't have work for you they will and seems that they have found work for you. You should still recieve your driving rate of pay while you work for that center. down here they do a 4 and 4hr shift. I would talk to steward fist and then sup. Let them know that they need to pay you your driving rate. If they don't then you may need to file for pay to be straight driving rate as you are now a inside/inside employee. when our drivers don't have work they still get their guarrentee and pay.

chopstic

we also have EAM driving/inside work combos where I work. But the hours for each are not guaranteed. They are guaranteed their overall 40 hours a week, but they're not guaranteed that a certain portion will be driving hours. Sometimes they will work 5 hrs inside/3 hrs driving and sometimes vice-versa. It doesn't look like like the NMA guarantees this either, so you would have to find it in your local supplement if it even exists.

Red Dawn

we also have EAM driving/inside work combos where I work. But the hours for each are not guaranteed. They are guaranteed their overall 40 hours a week, but they're not guaranteed that a certain portion will be driving hours. Sometimes they will work 5 hrs inside/3 hrs driving and sometimes vice-versa. It doesn't look like like the NMA guarantees this either, so you would have to find it in your local supplement if it even exists.

at our hub we got a guarantee of 4&4. if we worked longer on driving we would just get more drive pay. but if got back early we wouldn't clock out time 4hrs. I know each hub is different.

chopstic

come to think of it... you are getting screwed, because if you are not driving air then you should be under an article 41 inside/inside combo pay progression, not the article 40 air combo progression.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
come to think of it... you are getting screwed, because if you are not driving air then you should be under an article 41 inside/inside combo pay progression, not the article 40 air combo progression.

Technically, yes. But the union (at least up here) has been making side-deals with UPS allowing UPS to change 1/2 of your bid job, as you are only technically bidding start-times rather than the actual jobs at bidding time.

sss9573

OK, you were hired pt 3/17/08 and were given a 22.3 position 10/20/08? Highly unusual for the company to have filled any 22.3 slots, much less after only 7 months... but what other kind of 2-shift "combo" is there? (1) Your air job was reallocated to 3 FULL-TIME air drivers? (2) As a full time seniority first year air driver you were making $14.50? As a full-time inside first year 22.3 you should have been making, it appears to me, $15. Why were you taking a pay cut to work inside?

I must be missing something. Seems like you were somehow still "part time". Please explain.

And what Supplement are you under?

I have only been with UPS since 3/17/08 and am only making $10.20 an hour hub rate and was making $14.50 as a late air driver. Then was moved inside due to no work about a month ago at straight pay ($10.20 p/h) but all that changed as I started asking ?'s too many ?'s ='ed laid off. So now I have to call today to find out where I will be placed on Monday after being off unpaid for 1 week