Getting to Work On Time

ddwrt

I'm wondering if anyone has some good advice on how to fix attendance issues. Let me preface this with I really try to arrive at work on time. I'm never more that 15 minutes late, but I hear about every time I don't clock in on time. I understand UPS depends on people showing up on time to make the operation run, but between school, work and my weekend job .... I feel like I'm burning the candle at both ends.

Any advice on how to better organize my schedule & get the man off my back?

PS I work night sort

laffter

I'm wondering if anyone has some good advice on how to fix attendance issues. Let me preface this with I really try to arrive at work on time. I'm never more that 15 minutes late, but I hear about every time I don't clock in on time. I understand UPS depends on people showing up on time to make the operation run, but between school, work and my weekend job .... I feel like I'm burning the candle at both ends.

PS I work night sort

If it's a school issue, talk to your shift manager and about possibly setting your start time a little further?
Don't be whiny about it, obviously. Be honest about whatever the problem is.

If it's an issue of ... being "lazy", then ... it's all on you.

Something like this should be easier to resolve for the evening shift than preload. Preload is much more time sensitive.

PS I work night sort
Grow up put your big boy pants on and get there on time. How about you give me your number and ill call you everyday and make sure you get there on time. This would be ridiculous right. Yea about as ridiculous as a grown adult needing help to be at his job on time. I might seem a lot harsh but you need some tough love. Man up

Indecisi0n

Grow up put your big boy pants on and get there on time. How about you give me your number and ill call you everyday and make sure you get there on time. This would be ridiculous right. Yea about as ridiculous as a grown adult needing help to be at his job on time. I might seem a lot harsh but you need some tough love. Man up

Can you call me to?

ddwrt

Yes, you calling me would be ridiculous. I'm not trying to get sympathy. I'm simply asking what other people have done to re-balance their school / work / life balance. I have my big boy pants on, and am trying to correct a problem.

BSWALKS

Fugitive From Reality

PS I work night sort

Your kidding with this question, right?!

Ps
Your not for real are u?

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
I see this as a real question. I started as a loader when I was and back then a start time was usually around 2:15 in the morning. At first our plan was to just party up to the time we needed to leave for work. Well this was not a good plan. Eventually I just grew accustomed to arriving late to work and walking up to the line with my trucks stacked out. My thought was better late then never. Anyhow we got a new pre-load manager and he called me in to his office. He brought out my attendance and simply said no one likes getting up this early but if you want this job you better figure out how. So guess what. I no longer was an attendance problem. It just comes down to you. This job does not work for everyone.

UPSGUY72

PS I work night sort

Your going to school I'm sure your can figure it out. Get a watch or maybe a alarm clock.

Then show up on time like everyone else your not the only person that has other things going on besides working at UPS and most everyone else doesn't have a problem getting to work on time.

Those people that can't show up on time to any job UPS or not find themselves chronically unemployed....

BleedsBrown

my advice? get there on time and do your job and theres NOTHING they can say to you after that...and 15mins late is a bit ridiculous...if you were 3-5 mins late wouldnt be a big deal but 15mins late is bad...you can be a lazy good for nothing while at work but as long as your doing work and there on time, again nothing they can hassel you about then.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
If you are fifteen minutes late often, could you just leave your home fifteen minutes earlier? This doesn't sound complicated to me....

Justaname

PS I work night sort
It's hard at first but I have three alarm clocks scattered around my room that force me to get out of bed to turn them off. Also I keep supply's in my trunk (water, snacks, energy drinks, cigarettes) so no pit stops on the way ether. It's up to you to make it on time.

DiligentUPSer

Leave your home earlier and that will help your chances of arriving on time. On the other hand, if your problem is that you are fighting yourself each day to find the motivation to go to work then just give it up right now. Your co-workers will be glad you did.

old brown shoe

30 year driver
Need to figure out what is most important in your life. Sounds like school should be first unless you are just there to party. If you plan on staying at UPS then act like it. If your going to school to advance with the company better show up on time before you don't work there.

CAFAL

I see this as a real question. I started as a loader when I was and back then a start time was usually around 2:15 in the morning. At first our plan was to just party up to the time we needed to leave for work. Well this was not a good plan. Eventually I just grew accustomed to arriving late to work and walking up to the line with my trucks stacked out. My thought was better late then never. Anyhow we got a new pre-load manager and he called me in to his office. He brought out my attendance and simply said no one likes getting up this early but if you want this job you better figure out how. So guess what. I no longer was an attendance problem. It just comes down to you. This job does not work for everyone.

was the same for me. Worked three jobs starting with morning sort,full time then a third at a store. 16 hours a day of work,about 4 hours of partying and 2-3 hours of sleep. I had four alarm clocks waking me up at one point,with three far out of my reach. Almost lost the job for excessive 1 minute lates.

satellitedriver

ddwrt;1035254 I'm simply asking what other people have done to re-balance their school / work / life balance. I have my big boy pants on said:
Re-balance?
When I was in college, I worked a 47.5hr full time job, and never was a minute late for work.
In my 26+yrs at UPS I have never been a minute late and it took me 21yrs before I missed my first day of work.
The only balance I had to be concerned with was my bank balance.
Here is my simple answer to your question.
Sleep less, work more.
Worked for me.

The answer is simple