Getting your 30 days in the Atlantic Area

wilberforce15

How do I know what counts as a day worked as a regular temporary driver in package cars?

When my route is cut, but I run 10 air stops and go home...is that a day? If I work 7 hours, is that a day?

Management is not keen on answering my questions, and my steward and BA can't seem to agree.

What's the deal? I might be on day 28, or day 20, depending on what counts.

Honestly, I kinda just want to know when I can stop running at stops and working off the clock before start time, and during lunch.

upschuck

Any day you get paid counts as a day. Sounds like you are on day 28 the easy way. Not in your region, but that should all be the same.

wilberforce15

Could they not claim I was doing a different job when I just went out with air? That I wasn't working as a reg-temp, but as an air driver?

wilberforce15

Bump for more opinions or evidence from the contract. I'd appreciate some input on this.

When a reg-temp delivers only air, does it count toward his 30-day qualification?

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Bump for more opinions or evidence from the contract. I'd appreciate some input on this.

When a reg-temp delivers only air, does it count toward his 30-day qualification?
Who is sending you out with these airs? If you're working for the delivery center then yes that day should count.

wilberforce15

Working for the same center, sometimes taking airs out from 'my' route that the more senior regular guy was doing.

Often, I wasn't even told whether I had a full route day, or just doing airs, until after the PCM.

wilberforce15

He got his answer. If he's working for the delivery center the day counts toward his 30.

I'm also looking for contractual evidence or cases that would help.

My center's management does not agree that those days count, and my BA thinks the precedent is solidly on their side, though I can't get him to explain why. I'm all alone on this one except for y'all.

Last edited:
I believe the problem may be in classification. If he is delivering or picking up ground he would be performing package car driver work and those days would count. If he is working under Art 40 exception Air driver the days would not count.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!

My center's management does not agree that those days count, and my BA thinks the precedent is solidly on their side, though I can't get him to explain why. I'm all alone on this one except for y'all.
What supplement are you under?

In the Southern, Article 49 Section 7 seems to imply that the only days that count toward your 30 are the days you are used as a TCD.

(E) Part-time coverage employees who complete a thirty (30) day qualifying period for a coverage position will not have to complete another probationary period if they are a successful bidder for a reg- ular full-time package car position. Additionally, he/she will not suffer a reduction in pay rate

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!

If you are covered by the Atlantic Supplement, I think it looks just like the Southern.

Looks like you may have to actually be used as a cover driver for that day to count toward your 30. Just delivering air is not covering for a package driver. If you're doing a route, it should count.

If you did cover for a driver, or did a route, I don't think it would matter that you did not get 8 hours. You were still covering a job.

Article 63 Section 2

5. Any employee who completes the thirty (30) day qualifying period as a regular temporary package driver will not have to complete another probationary period when he/she accepts a full-time driving job. If that employee accepts a regular job prior to completing the probationary period, he/she will only have to complete the remaining portion of the thirty (30) day period.

Whatbrownwontdoforyou

How do I know what counts as a day worked as a regular temporary driver in package cars?

When my route is cut, but I run 10 air stops and go home...is that a day? If I work 7 hours, is that a day?

Management is not keen on answering my questions, and my steward and BA can't seem to agree.

What's the deal? I might be on day 28, or day 20, depending on what counts.

Honestly, I kinda just want to know when I can stop running at stops and working off the clock before start time, and during lunch.
If you work and get paid for the day it counts towards your 30...........in my local anyway

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Atlantic supp article 46 section 1 you can find the contract at teamsters.org
Article 46 Section 1 only covers new employees. It does not cover PT employees transferring to FT. Under this section, a new employee just has to work for it to count as a day.

Qualifying as a package driver or cover driver from PT, only days worked as a driver count toward the 30 days. If they do not need you to drive a certain day, and you do not have your 30 days yet, and you go back to your preload job for that day, how can that count as a qualifying day for cover driving? It can't.

If you air drive for 4 hours and that's all you do, does this day count? It is not clear in the contract. As I mentioned before, I would say that any day you did what a package driver does, whether you worked 8 hours or not, counts as a day. Air driving for 4 hours you are "covering" an air driver, not a package driver.

You may have to grieve it to get a final "interpretation" of the language.

If you work and get paid for the day it counts towards your 30...........in my local anyway
Are you referring to a PTer trying to qualifying as a cover driver or just trying to gain seniority? If a PTer does his 4 hour sort job because he is not needed as a cover driver that day, how can that count as a qualifying day for cover driving?

Whatbrownwontdoforyou

Article 46 Section 1 only covers new employees. It does not cover PT employees transferring to FT. Under this section, a new employee just has to work for it to count as a day.

Qualifying as a package driver or cover driver from PT, only days worked as a driver count toward the 30 days. If they do not need you to drive a certain day, and you do not have your 30 days yet, and you go back to your preload job for that day, how can that count as a qualifying day for cover driving? It can't.

If you air drive for 4 hours and that's all you do, does this day count? It is not clear in the contract. As I mentioned before, I would say that any day you did what a package driver does, whether you worked 8 hours or not, counts as a day. Air driving for 4 hours you are "covering" an air driver, not a package driver.

Are you referring to a PTer trying to qualifying as a cover driver or just trying to gain seniority? If a PTer does his 4 hour sort job because he is not needed as a cover driver that day, how can that count as a qualifying day for cover driving?
I thought I read he was new......he was pt?

Whatbrownwontdoforyou

He said he del airs.....that's within the classification of the job he's trying to get