Ghost Packages

onewithedd

We Love Logistics!

May 18, turned out to be a interesting day. Our center had over 70 ghost pkgs.

All of these packages were in our DIADS in EDD. I arrived at one stop EDD said I had 2+4 I had the 4 Ground but no Air. Turns out I was missing 6 pkgs throughout the day.

I tracked all of them on my lunch and the results for each were as follows:

2 of them were voided and never sent.
2 of them were created but never tendered to UPS for shipping.
1 of them was a Smart Post Delivered to New Orleans LA Post Office some 2500
miles from my location.
1 Left a hub and was scheduled for delivery the next day.

Bizzarro World or what?

I thought the only way packages could be in EDD was if they were spa'd in by preload with a physical scan of the pkg.

Figure that out LOGISTICS team!

washington57

I remember doubling on the preload and having a ghost truck! they ran out of trucks but had set up an entire route. was told to just stack it all out. 5 managers all staring at the pile of 400 packages for an hour wondering what to do until finally some other preloader was like "what about the NDA?"

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
And I thought this thread was going to be about "advanced" loads. Lately every Monday, we have a lot of routes that get busted out because of light volume. I heard that the Preload doesn't even touch full trailers that get to our Hub earlier than scheduled because of the weekend. :huh:

Re-Raise

For some reason at my center all of the send agains get back into your EDD the next day even if they hold them for pick up.

If you can't trust the system how good is it to the driver. I get tired of looking for packages that aren't there.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
On a different side of the same coin, I've also had pkgs spa'd to my rt and stickered, but not in my edd list. I've figured it is either a salt, or it is the result of crappy add/cut procedures.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

For some reason at my center all of the send agains get back into your EDD the next day even if they hold them for pick up.

If you can't trust the system how good is it to the driver. I get tired of looking for packages that aren't there.

If you don't put them on Will Call or Future at the time of delivery they will be in your EDD the following day.

barnyard

KTM rider
Lately, I have had packages that are in my EDD, I scan them and it scans as a duplicate package and does not get removed from the list.

Example, I have 21 boxes for a stop, I scan them all, the last one scans and says, "Duplicate, this is package #18" or something like that. Package # 18 is from the same shipper, but it does not look like the packages have been banded and the bands broke. I have 21 boxes on my cart, but 20 scans in my board. If I hit "find bc" I can type in the last 4 and a tracking # will come up, hit enter and it will be my 21st package.

The above scenario has happened at least 6 times in the last couple of months, but I did not figure out the 'find bc" solution until the last time it happened. Every other time it happened, I was called into the office for a package that showed out for delivery, but no scan.

Our PAS/EDD rollout was 2 years ago. It was not horrible, but it has been getting to the point where it is costing more than it is saving. Like every other month or so, a new 'feature' is rolled out that effs things up just a little bit more than the previous eff up.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Lately, I have had packages that are in my EDD, I scan them and it scans as a duplicate package and does not get removed from the list.

Example, I have 21 boxes for a stop, I scan them all, the last one scans and says, "Duplicate, this is package #18" or something like that. Package # 18 is from the same shipper, but it does not look like the packages have been banded and the bands broke. I have 21 boxes on my cart, but 20 scans in my board. If I hit "find bc" I can type in the last 4 and a tracking # will come up, hit enter and it will be my 21st package.

The above scenario has happened at least 6 times in the last couple of months, but I did not figure out the 'find bc" solution until the last time it happened. Every other time it happened, I was called into the office for a package that showed out for delivery, but no scan.

Our PAS/EDD rollout was 2 years ago. It was not horrible, but it has been getting to the point where it is costing more than it is saving. Like every other month or so, a new 'feature' is rolled out that effs things up just a little bit more than the previous eff up.

Had the same thing happen to me, but only on a 4 pkg shipment.
Because I was only sorting it out amongst 4 pkgs rather than twenty or more, I was able to figure out that although all four packages had different 1Z numbers, two had the same barcode.
So no matter how many times I scanned them the DIAD claimed one to be a duplicate and counted only three packages while I'm staring at 4 with 4 different 1Z numbers.
I eventually typed in the missing 1Z number and removed the labels from the two boxes for the center manager to look into, as missing scans were the flavor the week at that time.
Never did hear back as what was going on, but haven't had any more sit downs with drivers for missed scans.

DS

Fenderbender
We don't have EDD yet so our ghost packages are missed scans.
If we miss some old scratched out label from some old reused walmart box from 2 years ago its a missed scan.I can't believe that ups technology would not automatically kick out previously used tracking numbers as such.

There are no friendly ghosts at ups.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Had the same thing happen to me, but only on a 4 pkg shipment.
Because I was only sorting it out amongst 4 pkgs rather than twenty or more, I was able to figure out that although all four packages had different 1Z numbers, two had the same barcode.
So no matter how many times I scanned them the DIAD claimed one to be a duplicate and counted only three packages while I'm staring at 4 with 4 different 1Z numbers.
I eventually typed in the missing 1Z number and removed the labels from the two boxes for the center manager to look into, as missing scans were the flavor the week at that time.
Never did hear back as what was going on, but haven't had any more sit downs with drivers for missed scans.
Every once in awhile I'll catch a shipper sending out multiple packages with one 1Z. The last one was an RS NDA (5 pkgs). They were lab packs and the cutomer hadn't received new shipping labels so the customer copied them.