Give your new manager the "silent treatment"

tieguy

Banned
Great idea. I'll have to try it the next time I switch centers. I wonder what the drivers would think If I simply walked around and stared through them....:)

Some people need to play games to feel superior. ...:)

BigBrownSanta

I love it! I want to play, too. Next new sup we get I'm going for the record. Six weeks is a lofty goal, though. Anyone else up for taking on Soberups record? And what's the record for not saying anything to a sup you already know?

This wouldn't work in my center. Many of the drivers here actually pride themselves on how many times a week they have to talk to our center manager in the office.

dillweed

I don't chase after new CMs to make myself known or suck up but do smile, nod and make eye contact when passing them in the building.

These are human beings who probably feel some discomfort at being thrown into a new building with the task of maintaining some sort of order and producing numbers for the bigwigs.

I feel that disregarding them is rude and hurtful and that this behavior would bite me in the butt some day when I need their cooperation.

I'm a pretty jovial, happy go lucky kind of guy most of the time. I usually speak to everyone I pass in the building. It's not kissing up, I don't do it for them as much as I do for me, it makes me feel good.
There is one PT sup that works the preload, many times I have passed him and spoke...nothing, not one word. That kind of pisses me off, so one day this past week the same thing happened. As he got past me without returning the "good morning", I turned ans said. " speak ass, mouth won't." he never even broke stride.

Channahon

If giving the "silent treatment" to a new management person is you claim to fame at UPS, surely, you have something more mature to share with us.

Do you really think you are unique in your approach? I've seen and worked with many drivers over the years in my career, and quite frankly, the word regarding this type of behavior is usually passed on by the previous management person.

A new management person to your center/operations has enough to learn about their operation and employees, that one empoyee, using the "silent treatment' is really
no big deal.

But if your approach works for you and makes you feel good about yourself, thanks for sharing.

tieguy

Banned
Some people choose to feel superior by doing their job the right way without their management team having to micromanage them.:happy2:

Good answer.

Guess you and I would have problems. I personally believe I should make eye contact with and say hi to everyone I see thats part of the brown family.

your visions clouded by the tumbleweeds blowing around.:happy-very:
Is that really a comment? or a question? It's way too early in the year for tumbleweeds to be blowing, they've just started growin'. Now dirt blowin' Yep. And this is a relatively calm day
sandstorm2.jpg

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
I don't go out of my way to introduce myself to new managers or supervisors in my jobs. When I was with UPS, I stayed the h*ll under the radar, particularly when a well-respected supe was moved and replaced by a loud, intimidating supe. I think I went three weeks before I was sorting and he screamed my name, telling me to move a diverter. I looked at him, amused that he'd finally said my name. At a retail job, I was usually introduced to new managers the first day we were in the building together. At a restaurant job, we weren't even introduced. The existing management told the guy who I was, what a great job I did, etc, etc. He came over to my workstation and started chatting me up. I was amused and exchanged amused looks with a coworker scurrying around behind him. The silent treatment only works so long before someone tells him who you are. -Rocky

helenofcalifornia

Non sequitor (sp?) Just saw a bunch of tumbleweed blowing along Interstate 5 heading north of Kettleman. Maybe left over from last year or maybe they grow year round here in Cali. When I was a kid my grandparents brought us kids back some tumbleweed from out west and we were the hit in the neighborhood!

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Good answer.
Guess you and I would have problems. I personally believe I should make eye contact with and say hi to everyone I see thats part of the brown family.
You and I would get along just fine. I think you would come to appreciate the amount of time and work I would save you.
Ive heard management people refer to the "80/20" rule, where 20% of the people take up 80% of your time and vice versa.
I like to take it a step further. I want to be part of the 1% of your people that take up .000000001% of your time.
I am often critical of management, particularly upper level, but I am also aware of the stress and the workload you guys deal with. I prefer not to be a source of that stress or workload as much as possible.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I feel that disregarding them is rude and hurtful and that this behavior would bite me in the butt some day when I need their cooperation.
I dont disregard them. I smile and wave every day. I respond in the affirmative to any requests made. I just stay quiet. A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Cementups

Box Monkey
I guess I'll be the first to admit that I play this game as well. I have made it a couple months without talking to a center manager. I went through 3 whole DM without ever talking to them. that was over a 3 year cycle and is still going. I had a On-car one time for about 6 months that the only time I ever talked to him was when he was on the way out the door one of the last days he was there.

Sometimes it's just nice to be not known.

Non sequitor (sp?) Just saw a bunch of tumbleweed blowing along Interstate 5 heading north of Kettleman. Maybe left over from last year or maybe they grow year round here in Cali. When I was a kid my grandparents brought us kids back some tumbleweed from out west and we were the hit in the neighborhood!
LOL, yeah we have some stragglers also. I was mainly at Tieguy.

Helen, have you ever seen a Devil's Claw? they are quite wicked looking.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Trplnkl, I spent 4 years at Reese AFB in Lubbock; in fact, both of my kids were born at Lubbock General Hospital. I didn't mind the tumbleweeds so much as the dust storms and, of course, the tornadoes, which just seemed to love trailer parks. I can recall one time we were downtown having dinner and this dust storm blew through and we could not see our car, which was parked just across the street. I had also heard about car dealerships having to have "hail sales" but thought it was a myth until I went through our first hail storm and saw the damage that hail can cause. I really enjoyed Texas--we visited Dallas (watched a Cowboys game), San Antonio and other parts of the state.

Sorry for the tangent--the tumbleweeds comment(s) made me think of the time that I spent there.