Glad I'm out of this Part2

M I Indy

Considering how many stories I get from the first gens about most of the first gens and how many lost contracts on forgery, lack of work ethic, despise for any pickups, etc. I am not too indebted. Power to the ones that did a good job but I am not pulling info out of thin air, it is what was told by others that were there. Unlike you I don't claim they were all bad, as you claim most of us multi contractors pay nothing, can't treat our drivers well, and are liars if we refute you.
I pay just fine and there are other threads going into that, I'm tired of talking about it. I'm not sure what your point is about creating a route, yes you create a supplemental, those supplementals turn to high to max thresholds when I make them, fairly easy to do when you have many routes (they make money). I have gained two PSAs in the last two years from sups I created, I would think that breakdown was pretty self explanatory.

You're metro area right? Did you ever consider the first gen's in your

FedGT

You're metro area right? Did you ever consider the first gen's in your

Not sure what your question entails, can go many ways:
Implying that they had huge areas little stops at first?
Harder to make supps?
No contractor ever is at fault and we should all get a ribbon or medal every day?
If they would have stuck it out and dealt with stricter guidelines they would all be millionaires now?

Maybe the smuggy air here is clouding my judgement on which route I can take to answer your question.

M I Indy

Not sure what your question entails, can go many ways:
Implying that they had huge areas little stops at first?
Harder to make supps?
No contractor ever is at fault and we should all get a ribbon or medal every day?
If they would have stuck it out and dealt with stricter guidelines they would all be millionaires now?

Maybe the smuggy air here is clouding my judgement on which route I can take to answer your question.[/QUOTE
]
Sorry, it didn't all go through. In short, just reminding you that X has to cover everywhere not just your neighborhood. Without bacha and dmac your only customer wouldn't need you. Just be a little open-minded, or go buy 5 rural routes and show everyone here how to do it. BTW, what guidelines are sticter? And earlier you stated about what X wants......not about that anymore, more about what they can do with in the law. As dmac stated X will not be able to keep up with individual state laws.

bacha29

GT Just what exactly is a "threshold".? For those of us who are Day 1, we know what it really is. It is nothing more than a poorly disguised production quota It seems that you are among the few who don't know that.When it comes to creating a truly new route rather than another supplemental which is what you are referring to, the TM has to request it when preparing his budget for the coming year. At small terminals getting approval for an actual new route practically takes an act of Congress or an act of God. Small terminal mangers have little or no spending authority especially during times of extreme cost cutting. I saw sitautions when the TM had to call Pittsburgh for approval to get our unpaved parking lot plowed in the winter as well as authority to buy a few gallons of kerosene to try to bring our uninsulated metal building's temperature above zero some mornings.

FedGT

GT Just what exactly is a "threshold".? For those of us who are Day 1, we know what it really is. It is nothing more than a poorly disguised production quota It seems that you are among the few who don't know that.When it comes to creating a truly new route rather than another supplemental which is what you are referring to, the TM has to request it when preparing his budget for the coming year. At small terminals getting approval for an actual new route practically takes an act of Congress or an act of God. Small terminal mangers have little or no spending authority especially during times of extreme cost cutting. I saw sitautions when the TM had to call Pittsburgh for approval to get our unpaved parking lot plowed in the winter as well as authority to buy a few gallons of kerosene to try to bring our uninsulated metal building's temperature above zero some mornings.

Really??
Pretty pathetic argument, don't go after someone based on nothing. I never said threshold is not based off production "quotas". You sir are the naive one if you think they are "disguised" at all. That is exactly what it is, I do not argue that, I have never said that it is not so why do you portray that I have, don't need to be day 1 for that.
I don't know if you want sympathy because you are in a tiny terminal that can't get PSAs or what. You chose to get into this in a small town, that is not anyone else's decision but your own.

bacha29

When it comes to groundless unsupported arguments you pal have set a standard none of the rest of would ever begin to try to match. One other fact remains. Your arrival on the scene was years if not decades removed Day1. Therefore your daily experiences really have little or no bearing. Am I seeking sympathy? No. Quite the contrary. All I seek to impart is a simple warning. Believe only what you see. Never what you hear. And X is your adversary. Don't ever for a moment think of them as your friend.

FedGT

Someone that can shine light on the other side of the argument, has quite a bit of success in the current market, works in a metro area, can tell the truths of what will affect individuals looking to buy in the current form compared to a disgruntled individual that never took the time or or chance to grow, in a rural route, that believes the business he works with is pretty well the most evil company in the world. I feel quite confident about the info I put out there, it comes with truth not jaded hard feelings.
You take things said much more personally than me. I'm only on this board to show the other side and to tell the truth. I almost didn't get into this because of all the negativity and lies. I got in and truly do like what I do, plenty of ways to make good money, treat drivers well, and not be a door mat.

bacha29

Two important facts stand out here. First of all when it comes to the economic success of a contractor demographics play as important a role as management. Thirty years ago when Dan Sullivan and the 2 UPS mangaers rented a room by the Pittsburgh Airport their freely admitted focus was the major metropolitan areas of the nation. That is why you have a basic business model that was designed for a metropolitan area in a warm climate with flatter terain a modern highway system with higher population density and high percapita consumption. The other important point is that this company requires a person to take a fairly large sum of money in most cases borrowed money and place that money at risk in a business environment in which it maintains complete and aboslute control whereby it's one and only overriding concern is the growth and preserveration of shareholder equity. A respectable return on the contractor's investment is no concern of theirs and the contractor has to get that for himself within the heavy restraints the company maintains. As time goes by and when the contractors only saving grace and that is access to cheap labor starts getting hard to come the pressure from management will escalate dramaticly and we'll see how much of that you can take. One other intersting point. Of the 4 Day1 contractors which I was one of, not a single one of them became a multi route contractor despite plenty of opportunities to do so including having newly created route offered to them for free. That should clearly set the record straight about the difference in work experiences and economics between a generation ago and the difference between a rural and metro environments.

It will be fine

Two important facts stand out here. First of all when it comes to the economic success of a contractor demographics play as important a role as management. Thirty years ago when Dan Sullivan and the 2 UPS mangaers rented a room by the Pittsburgh Airport their freely admitted focus was the major metropolitan areas of the nation. That is why you have a basic business model that was designed for a metropolitan area in a warm climate with flatter terain a modern highway system with higher population density and high percapita consumption. The other important point is that this company requires a person to take a fairly large sum of money in most cases borrowed money and place that money at risk in a business environment in which it maintains complete and aboslute control whereby it's one and only overriding concern is the growth and preserveration of shareholder equity. A respectable return on the contractor's investment is no concern of theirs and the contractor has to get that for himself within the heavy restraints the company maintains. As time goes by and when the contractors only saving grace and that is access to cheap labor starts getting hard to come the pressure from management will escalate dramaticly and we'll see how much of that you can take. One other intersting point. Of the 4 Day1 contractors which I was one of, not a single one of them became a multi route contractor despite plenty of opportunities to do so including having newly created route offered to them for free. That should clearly set the record straight about the difference in work experiences and economics between a generation ago and the difference between a rural and metro environments.
You really like repeating yourself.

Bounty

If iwbf doesn't sell he will learn the hard way! Never ever ever trust x

bacha29

Bounty Thank you. The only point I tried to get across was simply a warning to every contractor and contractor wanabe based on first hand Day 1 experiences and that warning is never overestimate your value to X because you exist only until another way that better serves X's ambitions comes along and limit the amount of money expended on growth speculation until X is first made to show it's hand. With geopolitical tensions growing and the stock price dropping those warnings are now more credible than ever.

It will be fine

Bounty Thank you. The only point I tried to get across was simply a warning to every contractor and contractor wanabe based on first hand Day 1 experiences and that warning is never overestimate your value to X because you exist only until another way that better serves X's ambitions comes along and limit the amount of money expended on growth speculation until X is first made to show it's hand. With geopolitical tensions growing and the stock price dropping those warnings are now more credible than ever.
Might want to look into commas, periods even. It would make your rambling easier to follow.

bacha29

Even if I did IWTF, I still couldn't break it down simple enough for you to understand. At the same time when you have severe bilateral rheumatoid arthritis punching keys period get painful. Despite that fact I beg your forgiveness in light of your master's degree in English literature.You see Mommy and Daddy. didn't send me to college. The day after high school commencement I did'nt enroll in my first college class I milked 40 cows and put 500 bales of hay in the barn.

FedGT

I'll explain it for you. You think your more important than you are. You are exactly the dumb dumb x wants.

Way to go on the personal attacks again bounty. Also I don't think the constant reference to stock price is relevant to this argument. DOW has dropped over 2500 points in the past 2.5 months, there are handfuls of companies that are even to their numbers of the last 3 months. The world is in for another big hurt but Ground has been X's biggest asset in general and their only asset during the last recession and it will be again can the numbers drop yeah but it grew during the last and probably will again. Dropping market cap is the largest argument against a drastic change in the structure due to substantial costs that don't favor pps appreciation.

Bounty

Way to go on the personal attacks again bounty. Also I don't think the constant reference to stock price is relevant to this argument. DOW has dropped over 2500 points in the past 2.5 months, there are handfuls of companies that are even to their numbers of the last 3 months. The world is in for another big hurt but Ground has been X's biggest asset in general and their only asset during the last recession and it will be again can the numbers drop yeah but it grew during the last and probably will again. Dropping market cap is the largest argument against a drastic change in the structure due to substantial costs that don't favor pps appreciation.
The Kansas Supreme Court concluded that “the employer/employee relationship between FedEx and a full-time delivery driver . . . is not terminated or altered when the driver acquires an additional route for which he or she is not the driver.”
Just a matter of time.

It will be fine

The Kansas Supreme Court concluded that “the employer/employee relationship between FedEx and a full-time delivery driver . . . is not terminated or altered when the driver acquires an additional route for which he or she is not the driver.”
Just a matter of time.
How does that apply to people like myself that are not full-time delivery drivers? I do everything I can to not drive. Most days the closest I get to inside a truck is the morning when I walk by to check on my drivers. It's a dramatically different relationship.

CJinx

I saw sitautions when the TM had to call Pittsburgh for approval to get our unpaved parking lot plowed in the winter as well as authority to buy a few gallons of kerosene to try to bring our uninsulated metal building's temperature above zero some mornings.
No, you didn't. While station management does not have the final say in if/when a supplemental ever becomes a route, the buck does stop with them for their station's maintenance budget. A/B size stations routinely go over budget and the district doesn't bat an eye unless its egregious. No SM would ever let their warehouse freeze as it would cause severe damage to equipment and utilities.

Last edited: