Glad I'm out of this Part2

It will be fine

Maybe it doesn't apply to you, but a lot of multiple route owners are driving in my terminal.
I think that's why they made the new minimum scale 5 routes. It's too difficult to manage that and drive full time, it eliminates that argument. They take their lumps with lawsuits and keep adapting.

M I Indy

How does that apply to people like myself that are not full-time delivery drivers? I do everything I can to not drive. Most days the closest I get to inside a truck is the morning when I walk by to check on my drivers. It's a dramatically different relationship.

Is it? What makes you different than an Express manager? X's normal\original business model. Remember the Missouri 8 factors.

M I Indy

I think that's why they made the new minimum scale 5 routes. It's too difficult to manage that and drive full time, it eliminates that argument. They take their lumps with lawsuits and keep adapting.

How is it eliminated? You are a manager/supervisor that provides some tools needed for job production because X decided to skirt the law and duped you and all of us at one time. Just because you're doing it doesn't mean it's legal. Fool me once.........

bacha29

Cjinx. You see pal you weren't there. I was a Day 1 contractor one of 4 in 1992. The building as a small metal building with no heat in it. The only heat source was a couple of ineffective kerosene space heaters. The office was a detached trailer. The TM during one of many RPS austerity drives had and he told me this himself no spending authorization and during the times when he did and there weren't many of those he had $500 max. As for budgets. Every year for the past two years or more assets dedicated to a peak season that failed to materialize resulted in budget overruns that resulted in the suspension of temps for an indefinate period of time usually months until things leveled out. Doesn't matter now since they have or will soon be eliminated .So don't t ry to tell me overruns don't matter because they also impact TM bonuses. Freezing equipment?The 4 of us went out everyday and delivered in temperatures as low as -34 degrees. That is just how hard things were in the early going.

STFXG

The Kansas Supreme Court concluded that “the employer/employee relationship between FedEx and a full-time delivery driver . . . is not terminated or altered when the driver acquires an additional route for which he or she is not the driver.”
Just a matter of time.
Before ISP.

It will be fine

Cjinx. You see pal you weren't there. I was a Day 1 contractor one of 4 in 1992. The building as a small metal building with no heat in it. The only heat source was a couple of ineffective kerosene space heaters. The office was a detached trailer. The TM during one of many RPS austerity drives had and he told me this himself no spending authorization and during the times when he did and there weren't many of those he had $500 max. As for budgets. Every year for the past two years or more assets dedicated to a peak season that failed to materialize resulted in budget overruns that resulted in the suspension of temps for an indefinate period of time usually months until things leveled out. Doesn't matter now since they have or will soon be eliminated .So don't t ry to tell me overruns don't matter because they also impact TM bonuses. Freezing equipment?The 4 of us went out everyday and delivered in temperatures as low as -34 degrees. That is just how hard things were in the early going.
I hope you wore a jacket, maybe a hat too.

CJinx

Oh, so the days of RPS when it was a subsidiary of Caliber Systems? Great. We're not talking about RPS management.

FXG SRMs have the reigns of their own budgets and the DM only intervenes if they do stupid crap like buy a pinball machines for the office (yes, really happened) or, more realistically, spend tens of thousands of dollars for repairs because the pipes froze / heavy machinery seized because they wouldn't spend the money to keep the warehouse above freezing. (you'll get a new SM if that happens)

The district level is fairly understanding of uncontrollable costs causing stations to be unprofitable according to the FEZ; they tend to get pissed when they see things like employee injuries or avoidable damage to company assets eating up the budget.

Smart SMs think long term and make sure to end the year slightly in the red. Any money you don't spend, you lose. If the station operates successfully at 90% budget, 90% is the new 100% next fiscal year and you just lost 10% of your budget. This is why you see a lot of overdue building maintenance in April-June.

bacha29

Still the same company'just a different parent firm. In fact I came in before Cailber System. What I am telling you was experienced first hand. What is quite clear is that you have not been associated with FXG very long . Therefore you are in no position to comment or dismiss events that occurred years if not decades before you arrived on the scene. Obviously in your minds eye if you weren't there to see an event ,it didn't happen and clearly you are not comfortable when someone pulls back the curtains of a company you worship and idolize an expose it's ugly side.

It will be fine

Still the same company'just a different parent firm. In fact I came in before Cailber System. What I am telling you was experienced first hand. What is quite clear is that you have not been associated with FXG very long . Therefore you are in no position to comment or dismiss events that occurred years if not decades before you arrived on the scene. Obviously in your minds eye if you weren't there to see an event ,it didn't happen and clearly you are not comfortable when someone pulls back the curtains of a company you worship and idolize an expose it's ugly side.
Pull back the curtain? It was cold in the trailer you did the sort in 20 years ago. I think it's time to let it go. You sound like a crazy old man, "back in my day we walked 20 miles to every stop, uphill both ways in 30 ft of snow!" If it was so bad you'd have left for all those better paying jobs in your area. Get off my lawn!!

bacha29

Mr. IWBF. You're just unhappy about the fact that I did indeed pull back the curtains and expose the ugly truths surrounding a company that you worship and idolize. A company in whose hands you have placed your entire future well being. Yet it is a company that does not consider your contribution large enough or important enough to be worthy of employee status. In addition the conference call following the release of quarterly operating results never once mentions the contribution of or the future economic viability of G's contractors. Why? Because they just don't matter. The one and only thing that matters is making the EPS numbers the stock analysts project. Nothing more. Now you are always talking about planning. Well, plan on this. With the stock down 20% , the economy slowing and Ground X's only profitable unit everything now hangs on peak. You highly competent multi route contractors are going to be under the full might and power of Fedex to deliver value even more disproportionate to the value they give you in return. And if you fail to deliver that value or get yourself in a jam they' re not going to get out of it.

It will be fine

Everything always hangs on peak. That's where I make most of my profit for the year. Is this another one of your amazing revelations? Peak is important, FedEx is a for-profit corporation, it's cold in the winter. How will you blow our minds next, Bacha?

bacha29

ITBF. I'm not going to get into a spiting contest. You're not my family and you're not my friend. All you represent to me is well, just so many people. In fact your bare existence is of no consequence to me.I have tried to call attention to the history of bad treatment of contractors . I didn't just hear about. I saw it happen in person . All of which was undertaken in an effort to caution people in regard to their blind servitude , wrongly believing that "it will be fine".ITBF I read one of your earlier posts where you're bragging about how your routes will in the future will be sold for millions.Read the damn contract then tell me just what the hell it is you're basing it on. Show me the specific langauge that assures if not quarantees you that windfall. I'll be waiting.Don't try to sidestep it. It's the one you are subjugated to and the one they beat you over the head with everyday.

It will be fine

ITBF. I'm not going to get into a spiting contest. You're not my family and you're not my friend. All you represent to me is well, just so many people. In fact your bare existence is of no consequence to me.I have tried to call attention to the history of bad treatment of contractors . I didn't just hear about. I saw it happen in person . All of which was undertaken in an effort to caution people in regard to their blind servitude , wrongly believing that "it will be fine".ITBF I read one of your earlier posts where you're bragging about how your routes will in the future will be sold for millions.Read the damn contract then tell me just what the hell it is you're basing it on. Show me the specific langauge that assures if not quarantees you that windfall. I'll be waiting.Don't try to sidestep it. It's the one you are subjugated to and the one they beat you over the head with everyday.
The contract does not guarantee a purchase price. That doesn't even make sense and shows how little you understand. I base the value of my company off, among other things, a recent purchase of a smaller company in my area for $1 million. Mine is currently larger and will continue to grow for the foreseeable future. Yes, things could change and the value could disappear, but in the mean time I'm making good bank without much hard work. It's a risk, that's because it's a business.

bacha29

You are still not answering the question. Where is the language that supports your claim to future riches. It's all in the contract language or the lack thereof. Without it, it becomes pure wishful thinking and nothing more. Right it is risk. And it's a risk you can't manage because it's in the hands of someone else and should they do something that is not in your best interest , you have no way to respond because you don't have the contract language that will provide you with a response. That is all I have been trying to say. Riches you keep dreaming about could be gone tomorrow at the hands of a company that offers nothing in the way of protecting the investment they require of you. If you are the wise and astute manager you claim to be then you're going to stop for a moment and take stock of the options you have at your disposal when it comes to protecting your investment. The dumb assumption that somebody just walk in there some and offer you a big wad of cash is simply not realistic.

bbsam

Staff member
You are still not answering the question. Where is the language that supports your claim to future riches. It's all in the contract language or the lack thereof. Without it, it becomes pure wishful thinking and nothing more. Right it is risk. And it's a risk you can't manage because it's in the hands of someone else and should they do something that is not in your best interest , you have no way to respond because you don't have the contract language that will provide you with a response. That is all I have been trying to say. Riches you keep dreaming about could be gone tomorrow at the hands of a company that offers nothing in the way of protecting the investment they require of you. If you are the wise and astute manager you claim to be then you're going to stop for a moment and take stock of the options you have at your disposal when it comes to protecting your investment. The dumb assumption that somebody just walk in there some and offer you a big wad of cash is simply not realistic.
You are describing an investment. There are no guarantees. Not in gold, oil, stocks, bonds, mutual funds...no investment is guaranteed, seemingly not even pensions anymore. So what so you suggest? What investment is so strikingly solid that you would recommend making it?

OUMick

It's extremely realistic. They are selling all the time. Contractors that have a set of routes that are up to scale that are well run demand a premium. You may know more about the inner workings of routes than me but I doubt you know more about aquisitions than I do. He's right on the money thinking he will have a big a pay day. Especially if his business is as organized as he says. The good routes sell extremely quickly usually for all cash. I have yet to see a business that guarantees a selling price in a contract. That's just absurd.