Global Warming/Climate Change

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by 804brown, May 11, 2013.

1. 804brown

804brown Well-Known Member

2. Upsmule

Upsmule New Member

Carbon Dioxide currently at 370ppm, for it to be dangerous it would have to be at 15,000ppm. This could not be reached even if every fossil fuel was burned.

Thousands and thousands of studies show that higher levels of co2 are good for plants. Many scientists believe plants still aren't getting enough co2.

http://www.globalwarminglies.com/CarbonDioxide.html
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Upsmule

Upsmule New Member

The NY Times? Ha!

"It symbolizes that so far we have failed miserably in tackling this problem,” said Pieter P. Tans, who runs the monitoring program at the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration that reported the new reading."

Damn....maybe if we hasn't been so gullible back in the 70's when the "facts" said there would be another ice age and global cooling?

Wow.....
  4. roadrunner2012

roadrunner2012 Four hours in the mod queue for a news link Troll

Nice link, sure looks trustworthy. Do you have so much as a GED?

Can you link to say two scientific, peer reviewed papers proving your point, never mind thousands and thousands?

Why do you hate science?
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Brownslave688

Brownslave688 You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

Maybe we are still coming out of the last ice age. Or headed for another large tropical period. Although our life cycles are relatively short earths is much longer. We still have a lot to learn.
  6. Upsmule

Upsmule New Member

RR.....that link couldn't be any less agenda driven than the NYT's no?

My simple point proven, thanks.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. roadrunner2012

roadrunner2012 Four hours in the mod queue for a news link Troll

Seriously? The guy was asking for money, never mind the 80's web design.

Also, he's not a 'scientist'.
  8. 804brown

9. Upsmule

Upsmule New Member

10. wkmac

wkmac Well-Known Member

11. quamba 638

quamba 638 Member

My state was covered in a glacier scientists say, several times over....what caused them to melt? Global warming?
  12. rod

rod retired and happy

Global warming? Bull %&*$. Up until the third week in May we still had ice covered lakes. From then until now it has been one cool/rainy day after another with it hitting 70 degrees maybe only a couple of times. You know it been cold in Minnesota because its now June 3rd and the mosquitoes still haven't hatched. Its going to be one hell of a short summer around here.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. wkmac

wkmac Well-Known Member

Could be but then others offer a far more radical reason. Interesting hypothesis to say the least but thought provoking when considering the electric universe model. But others argue this model is debunked.
  14. moreluck

moreluck golden ticket member

For a gazillion years, weather cycles happened........now the world is loaded with Chicken Littles .
    • Like Like x 1
  15. 804brown

16. BrownArmy

BrownArmy Super-Bored

Here's the thing though, we haven't lived on this planet for a 'gazillion' years.

Our planet has gone through massive CO2/temperature/climate shifts in the last 6,000,000,000+ years, obviously.

Human existence on this planet (in terms of the age of the Earth) is a tiny, insignificant blip.

Climate and weather are two different topics, however, ninety percent of scientists agree that human industrial activity has had an effect on our aggregate ecological system.

Are tornadoes caused by global warming? Probably not.

Hurricanes? We don't have enough data. Maybe (probably not).

Is glacier melt at the poles caused by global warming? Maybe; there's enough data to suggest that humans have an influence, but again, we haven't been around long enough to collect enough data to draw a statistically convincing mathematical portrait.

But...

Having said all that, I think a more important thing to pay attention to is the fact that we're polluting our air and water to such an extent that we're destroying our capacity to live on this planet.

(P.S. the Earth has an approximately sixty-mile bubble of atmosphere surrounding the planet...after that there's......A BUNCH OF NOTHING, FOR A 'GAZILLION' MILES).

Maybe we should listen to some of the 'chicken-littles', who are sounding the canary-in-the-coal-mine call.

No matter what happens, the Earth will live on without us (for at least 2.8 billion years, until our sun goes nova and the Earth gets roasted and ultimately consumed by the dying sun).

It would be nice to be able to live out another 10,000 years as a species on this planet, instead of dying in our self-imposed noxious chemical soup.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. 804brown

18. tourists24

tourists24 Well-Known Member

Is Mr Gore still flying around is his gas guzzling plane? He did move into a very small house now didn't he? Practice what you preach. Or is it possible that we aren't actually making the temperatures go up by just our doings? I have a 1700 sq ft home and own 2 cars. I have only flown on any kind of plane once in the past 5 years
  19. klein

klein Für Meno :)

It's still in my life that LA, NY, and the Great Lake area citys had heavy smog.
    Does anybody think it was a bad idea, that we managed to control it now ?
    Or does anyone think we shall just let it be, as in China's bad smog problem (hang on - they are catching up now, too - slowly)...
    I rather breath clean air - and it must be good for the atmosphere, too.
  20. moreluck

moreluck golden ticket member

We should "cool it" 'til China's numbers are as good as us with the smog. Why should it be all one sided......it's all common air. We eventually all breathe it.
    Let those that do nothing ......catch up.