Global warming

BrownArmy

Back to my point, the climate is currently undergoing change...

We can argue about whether or not it's man-made, to no avail.

In either case, it's changing, and the prudent case points toward adopting proper mitigation behaviors so that we're not caught at the last minute with our pants down 'round our ankles, wondering where we went wrong.

teamer

Back to my point, the climate is currently undergoing change...

We can argue about whether or not it's man-made, to no avail.

In either case, it's changing, and the prudent case points toward adopting proper mitigation behaviors so that we're not caught at the last minute with our pants down 'round our ankles, wondering where we went wrong.

the climate has always been changing. Its been doing so for 5 or six billion years and yet our pants are still up around our waist.

Sportello

Of course it's changing. When in the history of the earth has climate remained stable for even just hundreds of years at a time? What is the normal climate of the earth? What are the defined normal temps? No one can answer this question because there is no normalcy.

The earth has what, 3 known ice ages? The earth miraculously came out of those ice ages with extensive global warming without any SUV's around. Weird.

Where am I wrong?
Well, you are wrong right there. There have been 5 major Ice Ages. We are still in one, though the last glacial period ended 12000 years ago.

Stay in the kiddie pool.

Sportello

yea they used to call it global warming until the warming stopped. Had to do a name change.
Like the Democrats and Republicans?

If the warming stopped, how come it keeps getting warmer?

You are aware that a Republican came up with term 'climate change', right?

BrownArmy

the climate has always been changing. Its been doing so for 5 or six billion years and yet our pants are still up around our waist.

Correct.

Yet, it's changing at an unprecedented rate, at a scale and velocity unseen before in our historical record.

It's foolish, at best, to ignore the data about our current situation.

Even if you deny the cause, the data remains the same.

Hence my question, what should we do about it?

If it's just a 'quirk' in the climate, as some of you are proposing, well, the results are the same:

Water and food shortages, increased proliferation of pests (Zika?), rising sea levels, increased risk of drought and fire, threats to wildlife...

(Oh wait, that's already happening...)

Alrighty then, just don't worry about it, and everything will be fine!

Sportello

Correct.

Yet, it's changing at an unprecedented rate, at a scale and velocity unseen before in our historical record.

It's foolish, at best, to ignore the data about our current situation.

Even if you deny the cause, the data remains the same.

Hence my question, what should we do about it?

If it's just a 'quirk' in the climate, as some of you are proposing, well, the results are the same:

Water and food shortages, increased proliferation of pests (Zika?), rising sea levels, increased risk of drought and fire, threats to wildlife...

(Oh wait, that's already happening...)

Alrighty then, just don't worry about it, and everything will be fine!
But, but....
If I die with all the stuff I still win, right?

There ain't no heaven or hell, just now. Grab it while you can, life is short.