Global Warming

moreluck

golden ticket member
A tale of two houses

This is a very interesting piece to read, will take all of 2 minutes and well worth it and will also cause you to do some very serious thinking.

House 1:
The four-bedroom home was planned so that "every room has a relationship with something in the landscape that's different from the room next door. Each of the rooms feels like a slightly different place." The resulting single-story house is a paragon of environmental planning.

The passive-solar house is built of honey-colored native limestone and positioned to absorb winter sunlight, warming the interior walkways and walls of the 4,000-square-foot residence. Geothermal heat pumps circulate water through pipes buried 300 feet deep in the ground. These waters pass through a heat exchange system that keeps the home warm in winter and cool in summer. A 25,000-gallon underground cistern collects rainwater gathered from roof urns; wastewater from sinks, toilets, and showers cascades into underground purifying tanks and is also funneled into the cistern. The water from the cistern is then used to irrigate the landscaping around the four-bedroom home,
(which) uses indigenous grasses, shrubs, and flowers to complete the exterior treatment of the home. In addition to its minimal environmental impact, the look and layout of the house reflect one of the paramount priorities: relaxation. A spacious 10-foot porch wraps completely around the residence and beckons the family outdoors. With few hallways to speak of, family and guests make their way from room to room either directly or by way of the porch. "The house doesn't hold you in. Where the porch ends there is grass. There is no step-up at all." This house consumes 25% of the energy of an average American home. (Source: Cowboys and Indians Magazine, Oct.
2002 and Chicago Tribune April 2001.

House 2:
This 20-room, 8-bathroom house consumes more electricity every month than the average American household uses in an entire year. The average household in America consumes 10,656 kilowatt-hours (kWh) per year, according to the Department of Energy. In 2006, this house devoured nearly 221,000 kWh, more than 20 times the national average. Last August alone, the house burned through 22,619 kWh, guzzling more than twice the electricity in one month than an average American family uses in an entire year. As a result of this energy consumption, the average monthly electric bill topped $1,359. Also, natural gas bills for this house and guest house averaged $1,080 per month last year. In total, this house had nearly $30,000 in combined electricity and natural gas bills for 2006. (Source: just about anywhere in the news last month online and on talk radio, but barely on TV.)

House 1 belongs to George and Laura Bush, and is in Crawford, Texas.

House 2 belongs to Al and Tipper Gore, and is in Nashville, Tennessee.

govols019

You smell that?
And I ignore him like I've always done. What he think has no bearing on what I do.

I am glad he invented the Internet, though.

Overpaid Union Thug

I live in Tennessee and he is ignored here too. He lost Tennessee in the 2000 election. That stuff about his house hit the local news and talk shows months ago. He is a joke.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
But without Al we wouldnt be here! Thanks Al.
I need some global warming in Ohio. Today it got to almost 60, but last week it was snowing. Last month it was 79, and the next it was 12. Send some here.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
WTF, now that was one of my favorite movies. Tipper isnt dead is she? Told ya Im bad on history.

Ali Mgraw was so beautiful. I was pretty young :then: and I wanted to watch it and cried every time I did.

This was too wonderful of a movie to be about him.

Sammie

moreluck;188783 [U said:
House 1:[/U]

The passive-solar house is built of honey-colored native limestone and positioned to absorb winter sunlight, warming the interior walkways and walls of the 4,000-square-foot residence. Geothermal heat pumps circulate water through pipes buried 300 feet deep in the ground. These waters pass through a heat exchange system that keeps the home warm in winter and cool in summer.

And they say there's nothing new under the sun:

Underfloor heating was first used by the Romans. Their system was based on ducts that lay under the floor and flues that were built into walls. Hot air or steam from fires circulated up through this system, warming the floor and walls, with heat passing into the rooms.

It's probably good that Gore didn't admit he'd invented this one, too...:bored:

satellitedriver

WTF, now that was one of my favorite movies. Tipper isnt dead is she? Told ya Im bad on history.

Ali Mgraw was so beautiful. I was pretty young :then: and I wanted to watch it and cried every time I did.

Cool part about the book the movie was based on was that it was a bet between college students. One bet the other he could write a tear jerking book,with no experience, he wrote the book. He won the bet and became rich when he sold the movie rights. Tip is still around and sadly, so is Al.

Sammie

No, sweetie. Just another of Al's hysterical "claims to fame"....

I guess ya gotta at least give the guy an A for effort for all of these movies and inventions....???....

Last edited:

wkmac

I'll never forgive Tipper for going after the music industry. ROCK ON Dee Snider!!!!!

PMRC, what a bunch of losers and don't forget the late Frank Zappa in that deal. I'm not a fan of Twisted Sister but Dee did an awesome job before Congress.

wkmac

BBC NEWS | Entertainment | Crow calls for limit on loo paper

I wonder if Cheryl Crow would be willing to make a YouTube instructional video on just how this would work and still maintain the highest of sanitary conditions. One of the biggest reasons that massive disease problems is not what is once was is because of "extra paper" in the bathroom.

Hey Ms. Crow, instead of going this route why not join the push to end the ban on industrial hemp where 10 times the paper product is gained from the same amount of tree pulp. Could that mean a huge reduction in deforestation, a boom for marginal farmers out there and even an export product to other countries in the form of paper, cloth and other products obtained from hemp?

For you religionist drug war warriors out to save the souls of the world, industrial hemp has almost no THC compound in it so smoking it is a huge waste of time and a waste of good rolling papers!
:lol:

BTW: If the Iraq war is a waste of time then IMO Iraq pales in comparision to the idiotic War on Drugs! Now talk about lunacy and no I don't use illegal drugs as except for a couple of cold beers when I grill, I rarely introduce anything into my body that effects the mental outlook. I like the taste of a cold beer on a hot summer day by the grill but actually I think alcohol is not good for the body for the most part. As for the War on drugs? It's just absolutely stupid IMO as was prohibition which was repealed in the end.

R

RLindsay

This stuff about Gore's energy use has been going around the 'net for a while, but there are always some facts inconveniently left out such as --

* The Gore home is NOT an average home. It is four times larger than an average home, it is used as an office for both Al and Tipper, and this is a 70-year old home! They were not built energy efficient back then. (The Bush residence is relatively new.) HOWEVER --

* This year Gore was finally given the green light by city planners to install solar panels and other green additions at his mansion. Previously, town zoning laws did not permit residents of the upscale neighborhood to install solar energy technology because they were considered generators, and therefore, unsightly. Gore had been quietly protesting these laws for some years, but when an audit of his energy use surfaced in February he was raked over the coals, even though plans were underway to make his home more efficient and eco-friendly. Now he's able to make green renovations in addition to the solar panels; he is also upgrading the furnace, windows, and light switches, as well as installing new floor radiant heat and solar vents, to improve the home’s energy standards
(ref: http://www.ecorazzi.com/?cat=21&paged=3)

* Gore pay a premium in order to get some of their electricity from Green sources. He purchases enough energy from renewable energy sources such as solar, wind and methane gas to balance 100 percent of his electricity use.

Sometimes when people don't like the message -- in this case that global warming is real -- it's convenient to attack the messenger. Should Gore work on the energy consumption level of his house? Yes, of course, and he IS doing so! Should the CURRENT energy consumption of his home obscure his efforts to alert the country and the world to an impending crisis, as this sniggering account tries to do? Of course not!

Individual homes aside, this is a scurrilous attempt to divert attention from the fact that Al Gore (as a private citizen without any responsibility to lead the world) has worked very hard to draw attention to and to find solutions for the problem of global warming. Meanwhile George Bush (as President of the greatest country on Earth and thus the person with the greatest responsibility of anyone on Earth to lead the world) has dragged his feet in getting our country to pay attention to this impending global crisis.

satellitedriver

This stuff about Gore's energy use has been going around the 'net for a while, but there are always some facts inconveniently left out such as --

* The Gore home is NOT an average home. It is four times larger than an average home, it is used as an office for both Al and Tipper, and this is a 70-year old home! They were not built energy efficient back then. (The Bush residence is relatively new.) HOWEVER --

* This year Gore was finally given the green light by city planners to install solar panels and other green additions at his mansion. Previously, town zoning laws did not permit residents of the upscale neighborhood to install solar energy technology because they were considered generators, and therefore, unsightly. Gore had been quietly protesting these laws for some years, but when an audit of his energy use surfaced in February he was raked over the coals, even though plans were underway to make his home more efficient and eco-friendly. Now he's able to make green renovations in addition to the solar panels; he is also upgrading the furnace, windows, and light switches, as well as installing new floor radiant heat and solar vents, to improve the home’s energy standards
(ref: http://www.ecorazzi.com/?cat=21&paged=3)

* Gore pay a premium in order to get some of their electricity from Green sources. He purchases enough energy from renewable energy sources such as solar, wind and methane gas to balance 100 percent of his electricity use.

Sometimes when people don't like the message -- in this case that global warming is real -- it's convenient to attack the messenger. Should Gore work on the energy consumption level of his house? Yes, of course, and he IS doing so! Should the CURRENT energy consumption of his home obscure his efforts to alert the country and the world to an impending crisis, as this sniggering account tries to do? Of course not!

Individual homes aside, this is a scurrilous attempt to divert attention from the fact that Al Gore (as a private citizen without any responsibility to lead the world) has worked very hard to draw attention to and to find solutions for the problem of global warming. Meanwhile George Bush (as President of the greatest country on Earth and thus the person with the greatest responsibility of anyone on Earth to lead the world) has dragged his feet in getting our country to pay attention to this impending global crisis.

Firstly, the term Global Warming has become synonymous with it is human caused warming,
that is yet to be proven.
What has been proven is, this earth has gone thru 32 ice ages and rewarming in a geological time frame. Before mankind even knew how to build a campfire.
It is also known that volcanos spew out more carbon gases than all pollution produced by man.
As to the motives of Al "moonbeam" Gore, well lets just say, his reported networth, before his mockumentry, was just at 3 million. Since then, it has jumped to over 200 million.
He can now easily afford to upgrade his home to be "green" friendly. He just had to make some "green" to make it happen.
PAX