Gloves for loaders...

functionalfool

New to the site but not UPS (7 years). I load and/or scan about 3000-4000 pieces daily and have yet to find a pair of gloves, no matter how expensive, that can take 2 weeks of UPS abuse. Any ideas? Someone mentioned Gorilla gloves but they aren't cheap and in my experience the more expensive the quicker they dissolve!

I'm spending about $3/week now, my Wells Lamont latex 3/4 gloves cost $4.50 and get me 7 or 8 days. If you mention leather you are either an idiot or not a loader at a hub because they are burned in less than 2 days. Any ideas??? Appreciate any advice anyone has!

Highflex by Ansel gloves last me about a month. I'm a driver though. It's been a real long time since I was in the load but I remember that no gloves stood up. Either load less packages or get a job on an ireg train. This would help.

barnyard

KTM rider
I did not see the gloves I used to wear on the HF site. I wore the yellow gloves with the rubber cross hatch on them. The last longer if they are washed once a week or so.

laffter

I use/used these: Shop Blue Hawk Large Unisex Leather Work Gloves at Lowes.com

I'm not sure why the title says leather. They're not leather.

I am a package car loader, and these last me about two weeks. Three weeks is pushing it, but doable.

A driver I was helping yesterday gave me a pair of different gloves. I've never seen them in stores, and I can't remember the name of brand right now, but I'll check it and post later. They were very nice too.

Nimnim

The Nim
I'm not sure why people need gloves, I used to unload, and just got used to having no fingerprints because I slide my hands across the sides of the boxes so much. Now I am an irreg driver and when I put on gloves I can't maintain proper grip which is hazardous when more than half the things I handle are probably 90+ pounds.

Also your facility doesn't provide gloves at all? Mine likes to bitch and complain, but they still supply them to people who want them. They also don't have much of a leg to stand on when if anyone gets a laceration on their hand and files an injury report the first thing one of the safety type people says is "you should have worn gloves."

Last edited:

laffter

I'm not sure why people need gloves

You don't need them, you want them.

I started wearing gloves after I got a nasty cut on the hand, from which there is now a scar.
Also, my skin gets really dry from the cold, to the point where my knuckles can crack and bleed. Gloves help with that.
The right gloves also help you grip packages.
Some people don't want rough, callused palms.

Plenty of reasons...

tardus

UPS re-wrap tape around the each finger extends the life of leather work gloves for months. Start using the tape when the gloves are new and replace the tape daily.

Random_Facts

I don't scan or anything, but the best gloves I've ever used (and believe me, I've tried almost every kind). But the cheapest, and best, are the ones with the plastic on them. (they are referred to as Fish gloves). Found in the sporting section of any store, (fish/wal-mart sporting isle etc etc). They run anywhere from a dollar to 3 dollars. Depending on the number. They are also reversible, which I love! The fact you can wear it on any hand is a plus. They last twice as long that way. Go to google and type in (fish grip gloves) the orange ones you see as a picture. Are the ones I'm talking about. Of course they come in any color, so if orange isn't your thing. No worries. I currently have green myself.

gotbrown

i drive, for me the mechanix gloves you can get at your local auto parts store,or on line[h=1]Mechanix Wear MG-05-010 Original Glove, Black, Large[/h]

. they are the most durable glove i can find,

HubBub

Latex dipped gloves give the best grip. My hands are slick for some reason so the extra grip makes a huge difference. I use Red Steer Powertouch A201 gloves. They're the best I've found for grip/comfort/price/durability. I'll get around 3 weeks out of them before the holes in the fingertips get too big.

STFXG

Black rhino boxtas. The rubber grip parts will wear off after a few weeks but the glove will last a couple months.