Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by TooTechie, Jan 17, 2013.

1. TooTechie

TooTechie Geek in Brown

I'll probably sound like a big pussy but wondering if any drivers use gloves?

I've worked inside for the last few years as a sorter, loader, unloader, train driver, etc and always have worn work gloves mostly because of the spit, blood, etc I've seen from the inside employees and because of the occasional leaker.

I've just started driving recently and my hands are perma-dirty & can't get them clean at the end of the day no matter how many times I wash them, they're cracked etc. I think I'd look dumb walking into a business wearing work gloves and if I wear my winter leather gloves it might not work great with the diad and can't wear them in the summer.

Yes, I feel like a b**** typing this but wondering if any drivers wear gloves?
  2. Anonymous 10

Anonymous 10 Guest

I wear gloves

Who cares what people think? They are your hands. I wear gloves especially in the winter. I wear black atlas nitrile gloves.
  4. hurricanegunner

hurricanegunner UPSPoop

Footjoy Wintersof gloves. They keep my hands warm and I can work the diad all day long.
  5. serenity now

serenity now Guest

mechanix wear with thin leather palms * you can drive and operate the diad with these on
  6. Bagels

Bagels Family Leave Fridays!!!

I'm a Preloader, but I've done my share of air, coverage & seasonal driving. I have very soft, feminine skin; my hands crack & bleed real easily so I always wear gloves. Most days, I unload, spa & sort, handling over 5,000 packages in less than four hours - thus finding comfortable, durable gloves is a challenge. For the past several years, I've been using a pair of Home Depot-branded gloves -- they grip strongly (especially important when unloading) and typically last about a month before wearing out (as measured in 'when my hands become dry and dirty'). When I drive, they last much longer -- typically two to three months. And best of all... a 12-pack is less than $10. (And no, I don't have any problems using the touchscreen on DIAD V). I've spent that much for a single pair of "fancy" gloves that didn't last much longer.

It also helps to use moisturizing soap & lotion daily. Dollar Tree sells a large selection of generic brands for $1 -- hand soap, bath soap & moisturizing creams. You should also have the "good stuff" -- e.g. Lava soap & Aveeno land lotion -- available for when things get bad, especially in the winter.
  7. Macaveli

Macaveli New Member

I wear gloves
  8. Brownslave688

Brownslave688 You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

I wear natures gloves.
  9. Notretiredyet

Notretiredyet Active Member

I wear carpenter gloves, thumb,index and middle finger tips are open. You can use your pen and diad without taking them off.
  10. Cementups

Cementups Box Monkey

Ironclad box handler. I've worn these for years. They are a bit pricey at $20/pair on Amazon but I still have full function with diad and even reaching in my pockets for things. And once they get worn in a little I can even text on my iPhone with them still on. Some of the older models had some issues here and there but the new ones are SUPERB!!!!.

11. Jackburton

Jackburton Gone Fish'n

My gloves are made of callous's, my wife likes the textured feel.
  12. Brown287

Brown287 Im not the Mail Man!

I wear Ironclad like Cementups. They are great and you can work the DIAD with zero issues using the alpha key. The touch screen is horrible with no gloves so it obviously wont work with gloves.
  13. Brownslave688

Brownslave688 You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

Yep. I just can't think right of a man when I shake a mans hand and they feel like a teenage girls.
  14. Bagels

Bagels Family Leave Fridays!!!

I have no problems using the touchscreen on the DIAD, my iPhone or the self check-out at my local grocery store. You just gotta get use to it.
  15. Anonymous 10

Anonymous 10 Guest

I can use my iPhone and the diad touch screen with my Ansell Highflex gloves.
  16. Buck Fifty

Buck Fifty New Member

X2 Youngstown gloves. Usually get 2 winters out of them.
  17. uber

uber Guest

How do those size? I'm thinking about ordering a pair, but not sure what size to get. I have pretty small hands, not ridiculously small, but small.
  18. I just ordered a pair from Amazon....will be here Tuesday. I went with the Medium's as my hands are not that big either.
  19. kingOFchester

kingOFchester Well-Known Member

No gloves. My hands sweat like a pig. Then I get the hand funk smell after a few days. Several drivers I drive with wear gloves, and during the PCM I can smell the funk coming from their hands.
  20. Indecisi0n

Indecisi0n Well-Known Member

I wear these because I can still type on my Iphone with the cut out fingers.