Glut of Ground Help Wanted Ads

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Check your local Craigslist. The one in my city has a lot of ads looking for Ground drivers...way more than I've ever seen before. A few are from Kelly Services, which provides temp drivers for peak, but most are looking for permanent employees. And the vast majority of those don't mention wages or salary, just that the job is "easy" or that the money is negotiable.

The ads that do mention money are right where they've always been....flat-rated salaries from $500-$650 per week depending on whether you drive a straight truck or a stepvan. On one hand, Ground is expanding, but on the other, it looks like they're short of drivers in an improving job market. Raising wages threatens the scam, so it will be interesting to see what Fred does.

HomeDelivery

in my region, they started last month, but are "lowering the requirements bar" somewhat to fill the spaces up by mid october.

it's my down time this week since i'm making the progression from becoming a contracted driver to an hourly temp driver right now... heck, i'm filling out a brown application to boot & see who's going to call me back 1st :P

vantexan

Check your local Craigslist. The one in my city has a lot of ads looking for Ground drivers...way more than I've ever seen before. A few are from Kelly Services, which provides temp drivers for peak, but most are looking for permanent employees. And the vast majority of those don't mention wages or salary, just that the job is "easy" or that the money is negotiable.

The ads that do mention money are right where they've always been....flat-rated salaries from $500-$650 per week depending on whether you drive a straight truck or a stepvan. On one hand, Ground is expanding, but on the other, it looks like they're short of drivers in an improving job market. Raising wages threatens the scam, so it will be interesting to see what Fred does.

If the endgame is to make Express mostly part-time and push as much freight as possible to Ground then seems inevitable that they have to hire more drivers. There are still millions of people making much less than $500-$650 a week who'd love a chance to make that much, especially if they are out of work. So a hiring binge seems much more in line with an improving economy increasing freight, and Ground the primary opco to handle it.

HomeDelivery

slightly offtopic: why are they using various temp agencies instead of just exclusively going with just one?

​in my region it's Kelly, Volt, and Randstad spread among 4 states

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
How much of a percentage are these temp agencies gonna take off the top of the wages? Between Fred's scam/Ground wages. the temp services taking a chunk and then taxes, there ain't gonna be whole lot left.

HomeDelivery

i dunno cactus, but the hourly pay plus overtime after 40 is still better than what some contractors are offering...

looks like someone is watching these forums; i just finished doing that online application for brown last night & team purple called me back first... back to hourly pay on Tues!

!Retired!

i just finished doing that online application for brown last night & team purple called me back first... back to hourly pay on Tues!

I had a 19+ year swing ride with me the other day. I asked her, 'knowing what you know.....if you were to apply for FedEx and UPS today, which would you apply to?'. She said UPS and I agreed. I then asked her '20 years ago when you started, who would you have applied to?' She answered that it didn't matter because everything (benefits, pay, etc) were a lot more equal.....I also agreed.

HomeDelivery - Take the FedEx job for now. If UPS calls you....run, don't walk there.

Nick9075

that should be a helpers salary.. Try $650 - $850 a week plus paid vacation of two weeks.... that should be minimum.. you aren't going to get qualified drivers for $500 a week in this job market and in the end if a driver messes up to an extent that it causes an integrity issue can cost contractor their contract...

tropolis

i thank you guys again for persuading me not to take the fedex job.

yes, there are classified ads every week. theres one outfit run by an indian and another run by someone named powers. when i went to the interview, it was all somalis in there.

i also have seen some temp agencies advertise for an employer they dont name which sounds like a fedex driver, but not 100 percent confirmed.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
in my region, they started last month, but are "lowering the requirements bar" somewhat to fill the spaces up by mid october.

it's my down time this week since i'm making the progression from becoming a contracted driver to an hourly temp driver right now... heck, i'm filling out a brown application to boot & see who's going to call me back 1st :P

there's a bar?

​sorry couldn't resist.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
i thank you guys again for persuading me not to take the fedex job.

yes, there are classified ads every week. theres one outfit run by an indian and another run by someone named powers. when i went to the interview, it was all somalis in there.

i also have seen some temp agencies advertise for an employer they dont name which sounds like a fedex driver, but not 100 percent confirmed.

When the Somali pirates got kicked out of their own country, they came here so they could still participate in piracy...the corporate kind practiced at Ground.