GM going e-bay !

klein

Für Meno :)
Now whats the thought on that ?

They say 75% of people do research on purchasing a new car online anyways, and GM will be the first to actually sell them online.

I think heads up, great idea !
I think GM shares will be up today.

outamyway

It still doesn't change their **** reputation.

I can say that too, because I, as well as everyone else, owns a piece of that company.

They can fail and die like they should have for all I care.

klein

And another new weapon they are comming out with:

GM CEO Fritz Henderson announced today that the Chevrolet Volt extended range electric car has been given an official EPA rating of more than 230 MPG city and a combined city/highway average fuel economy of more than 100 MPG.

I think that car is comming out this fall, looks great too. Could be wrong though, maybe next year.

GM isn't bad, we like GMC trucks here, and I also like my Pontiac Grand Prix.

BTW: as of noon today, shares of former GM is up 12.5%. (now MTLQQ)

diesel96

Government Motors? Nah, they can keep their crap. I'm only buying Ford or foreign and nothing else.

And the privately owned GM did such a stellar job? What an act with all the folks who say government ownership will ruin GM.. Private ownership already ruined GM, whats wrong with the government trying to keep a once great America Co. thats built many of our "Freedom Fighting" war machines, not to mention some jobs available and avoid a devestating domino effect of job losses. Or did I miss something, maybe the private ownership is not at fault, maybe the sun was in it's eyes or it was the wind ....

And another new weapon they are comming out with:

GM CEO Fritz Henderson announced today that the Chevrolet Volt extended range electric car has been given an official EPA rating of more than 230 MPG city and a combined city/highway average fuel economy of more than 100 MPG.

I think that car is comming out this fall, looks great too. Could be wrong though, maybe next year.

GM isn't bad, we like GMC trucks here, and I also like my Pontiac Grand Prix.

BTW: as of noon today, shares of former GM is up 12.5%. (now MTLQQ)

At $40,000 dollars a pop and a ten year life span on the batteries, hope theres enough well paid yuppies to bring the price down in a few years...America's love affair for big cars, suv's, oil/gas guzzling and gas hogs, mirrors that of our population's fat a $ $ waistlines and consumption. Will we ever learn ? Or just freak out and complain everytime gas prices rise.
In Europe.... Ford, Peugeot, Volkswagen, Fiat, Opel, Nissan, Renault all have vehilcles with mpg figures between 45 and 60

.....Going off topic.... If Americans are serious about our carbon footprint, think birth control. The greenhouse gas impact of each extra child increases multiple times more significant by such practices as driving a fuel-efficient car, recycling, light bulbs, electric, and appliances to name a few....

brett636

And the privately owned GM did such a stellar job? What an act with all the folks who say government ownership will ruin GM.. Private ownership already ruined GM, whats wrong with the government trying to keep a once great America Co. thats built many of our "Freedom Fighting" war machines, not to mention some jobs available and avoid a devestating domino effect of job losses. Or did I miss something, maybe the private ownership is not at fault, maybe the sun was in it's eyes or it was the wind ....

Survival of the fittest. If GM can't compete in a free market then they should not be competeing at all. In the long run it would have been better for GM to file bankruptcy as a private company than survive as a government run company. This just does not bode well for its future.

At $40,000 dollars a pop and a ten year life span on the batteries, hope theres enough well paid yuppies to bring the price down in a few years

Its a GM, their cars are notorious for fast depreciation.

...America's love affair for big cars, suv's, oil/gas guzzling and gas hogs, mirrors that of our population's fat a $ $ waistlines and consumption. Will we ever learn ?

Its called freedom, I have two cars I can choose from for my daily commute, one is a 35 mpg car, and the other is a 14 mpg truck. Just for you I will start driving the truck from now on. Gotta keep that oil consumption up you know. :p

Or just freak out and complain everytime gas prices rise.
In Europe.... Ford, Peugeot, Volkswagen, Fiat, Opel, Nissan, Renault all have vehilcles with mpg figures between 45 and 60

A lot of this has to do with current government policy. Those cars you mentioned are mostly diesels, and our government views diesels as more polluting than gasoline powered cars. To bring a diesel vehicle to market here is very difficult and expensive. If the government would just let up on small diesel cars we would probably have more to choose from than we currently have.

.....Going off topic.... If Americans are serious about our carbon footprint, think birth control. The greenhouse gas impact of each extra child increases multiple times more significant by such practices as driving a fuel-efficient car, recycling, light bulbs, electric, and appliances to name a few....

So why did you have children? I, along with most people, don't care about the environmental impacts of bringing a new life into this world. When I feel damn good and ready I will do so, but bringing up the environment to someone who wants to have kids is not going to have much of an impact.

JimJimmyJames

Big Time Feeder Driver
Survival of the fittest. If GM can't compete in a free market then they should not be competeing at all.

GM's primary competition, besides the other domestics, is the Japanese auto industry. The Japanese government has always been very proactive in supporting their private commercial entities. They are both on the same team. And that team's goal is complete domination of the competition.

Our government, on the other hand, has been almost the antithesis of that.

I am all for competition. I just don't appreciate having a hand tied behind my back in the fight. Especially by my own manager!

It is ironic that our government is now left to clean up the mess it helped to create.

diesel96

Survival of the fittest. If GM can't compete in a free market then they should not be competeing at all. In the long run it would have been better for GM to file bankruptcy as a private company than survive as a government run company. This just does not bode well for its future.

So the same should bode well with the private health care/ins industry as well. If American car companies can't compete with Japanese backed car companies, and the private healthcare sysytem can't compete with the public opt, then the private healthcare system should not be competing...

Its a GM, their cars are notorious for fast depreciation.

Thier high end cars actually hold up pretty well....it's their middle of the road and low end cars that depreciate. That's probably the result of bad marketing, not engineering.....

Its called freedom, I have two cars I can choose from for my daily commute, one is a 35 mpg car, and the other is a 14 mpg truck. Just for you I will start driving the truck from now on. Gotta keep that oil consumption up you know. :p

Your not doing it for me, your doing it for Chavez, the Saudis and Canada

A lot of this has to do with current government policy. Those cars you mentioned are mostly diesels, and our government views diesels as more polluting than gasoline powered cars. To bring a diesel vehicle to market here is very difficult and expensive. If the government would just let up on small diesel cars we would probably have more to choose from than we currently have.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=why-european-diesel-cars

So why did you have children? I, along with most people, don't care about the environmental impacts of bringing a new life into this world. When I feel damn good and ready I will do so, but bringing up the environment to someone who wants to have kids is not going to have much of an impact.

Obviously, politics influences your attitude towards our enviroment. I raised two sons and a nephew. But if you want to go Octo-mom on us, and breed eight, ten, twelve kids, then your only kidding yourself if you don't think that multiplys a carbon footprint tenfold on our enviroment than it would with 2 or 3 kids.

brett636

So the same should bode well with the private health care/ins industry as well. If American car companies can't compete with Japanese backed car companies, and the private healthcare sysytem can't compete with the public opt, then the private healthcare system should not be competing...

Typical liberal tactic. You cannot win an argument so you change the subject. Thats fine. Unfortunately for the private health insurance industry they cannot go out into the private sector and take money from people by force like the government can. The interesting thing about the car business is the one non government controlled car company is the one competing successfully against the Japanese and other foreign automakers. In fact, Ford is the first American car company to post a profit since this auto industry slump began.

Thier high end cars actually hold up pretty well....it's their middle of the road and low end cars that depreciate. That's probably the result of bad marketing, not engineering.....

Just wait a couple of years and you can pickup a used Volt with less than 20k miles on it for under $20k. Perhaps then it would make sense to purchase one.

Your not doing it for me, your doing it for Chavez, the Saudis and Canada

I am doing it to increase my carbon footprint in honor of all the good cars lost in the Cash for Clunkers program.

Even the article states that diesel taxes are higher making gasoline the cheaper alternative. Most people don't realize there are more BTUs of energy in a gallon of diesel than in a gallon of gasoline. Thanks in part to government regulation/taxes and GM's pathetic attempts at diesel vehicles in prior decades public support for small diesel vehicles is not as high as it should be. In fact several automakers have dropped plans to introduce more diesel vehicles including Ford, GM, and Toyota. I'm sure if they thought there was a market there they would be making them.

Lets also look into the fact that the diesel option is much more expensive due to all the extra pollution controls required. The diesel option on a new F250 adds an extra $9k to the price of the truck, while the V10 gas engine option is 1/10th of that with similar capabilities.

Obviously, politics influences your attitude towards our enviroment. I raised two sons and a nephew. But if you want to go Octo-mom on us, and breed eight, ten, twelve kids, then your only kidding yourself if you don't think that multiplys a carbon footprint tenfold on our enviroment than it would with 2 or 3 kids.

You'd be kidding yourself if you believed bringing any kids into this world did not increase your carbon footprint. My point is people limit the number of children they raise based on the overall costs of raising a child, not the size of the increase of their carbon footprint. Not like it really matters, the entire global climate change is being caused by humans theory is bogus and has been debunked many times already.

klein

Even the article states that diesel taxes are higher making gasoline the cheaper alternative. Most people don't realize there are more BTUs of energy in a gallon of diesel than in a gallon of gasoline. Thanks in part to government regulation/taxes and GM's pathetic attempts at diesel vehicles in prior decades public support for small diesel vehicles is not as high as it should be. In fact several automakers have dropped plans to introduce more diesel vehicles including Ford, GM, and Toyota. I'm sure if they thought there was a market there they would be making them.

Lets also look into the fact that the diesel option is much more expensive due to all the extra pollution controls required. The diesel option on a new F250 adds an extra $9k to the price of the truck, while the V10 gas engine option is 1/10th of that with similar capabilities.

So, your saying the Europeans are behind in gas milage and diesels ?
And they are bigger polluters then americans?
Even in Canada, 2 out of 3 gas stations have diesel. And we have plenty of them, not as much as in Europe, but lots.
Our UPS center has 70% ultra low diesel vehichles.
I can drivbe a whole week, without fueling up. (gas every 2nd day, if I drive one of them that UPS also has).

Btw, diesel is taxed here just as much as gasoline is (current price: 77.9 cents/liter for diesel, 87.9 cents/liter for gas).

Here are the true facts about diesel and BTU's :

Fuel Economy
Advantage: Diesel

Diesel fuel has a higher energy density than gasoline. One gallon of diesel contains approximately 147,000 BTUs of energy, while a gallon of gasoline only has 125,000 BTUs. This means it takes more gasoline to equal the power output of diesel, making diesel engines more efficient per gallon of fuel burned. Also, because diesel engines use the more efficient direct fuel-injection method (fuel injected directly into cylinder) compared to the port fuel-injection setup in gas engines where gas is mixed with incoming air in the intake manifold, the diesel system has little wasted or unburned fuel. Diesels also use about one third as much fuel at idle as gasoline units. Even though there are no official EPA-mileage figures for 3⁄4-ton and bigger trucks, we've seen diesels get six to eight more mpg than similar-weight gas pickups. Over the life of the truck, this advantage could be significant, especially if you drive a lot of miles.

Besides all that: A Diesel Engine has about douple the lifetime then a gas engine does.

brett636

So, your saying the Europeans are behind in gas milage and diesels ?
And they are bigger polluters then americans?
Even in Canada, 2 out of 3 gas stations have diesel. And we have plenty of them, not as much as in Europe, but lots.
Our UPS center has 70% ultra low diesel vehichles.
I can drivbe a whole week, without fueling up. (gas every 2nd day, if I drive one of them that UPS also has).

Btw, diesel is taxed here just as much as gasoline is (current price: 77.9 cents/liter for diesel, 87.9 cents/liter for gas).

Here are the true facts about diesel and BTU's :

Fuel Economy
Advantage: Diesel

Diesel fuel has a higher energy density than gasoline. One gallon of diesel contains approximately 147,000 BTUs of energy, while a gallon of gasoline only has 125,000 BTUs. This means it takes more gasoline to equal the power output of diesel, making diesel engines more efficient per gallon of fuel burned. Also, because diesel engines use the more efficient direct fuel-injection method (fuel injected directly into cylinder) compared to the port fuel-injection setup in gas engines where gas is mixed with incoming air in the intake manifold, the diesel system has little wasted or unburned fuel. Diesels also use about one third as much fuel at idle as gasoline units. Even though there are no official EPA-mileage figures for 3⁄4-ton and bigger trucks, we've seen diesels get six to eight more mpg than similar-weight gas pickups. Over the life of the truck, this advantage could be significant, especially if you drive a lot of miles.

Besides all that: A Diesel Engine has about douple the lifetime then a gas engine does.

You are fighting the wrong battle. I do not believe that diesels have lower mpgs or are more polluting than gas engines. Its the environazis here in the states that believe diesel is more polluting than gas. There are 6 states which have very strict emissions standards for small diesel cars. So far only the Germans have dared to bring diesel passenger cars to the U.S. and personally I would like to see more. Honda, Toyota, even GM, Chrysler, and Ford all have diesel powered cars they sell to the rest of the world. Just not to the U.S. Partly because of the strict guidelines which increase the cost of bringing a diesel passenger car to market, and the stigma associated with passenger diesel cars here in the U.S. due to GM's miserable failure with diesels in the 70s.

klein

You are fighting the wrong battle. I do not believe that diesels have lower mpgs or are more polluting than gas engines. Its the environazis here in the states that believe diesel is more polluting than gas. There are 6 states which have very strict emissions standards for small diesel cars. So far only the Germans have dared to bring diesel passenger cars to the U.S. and personally I would like to see more. Honda, Toyota, even GM, Chrysler, and Ford all have diesel powered cars they sell to the rest of the world. Just not to the U.S. Partly because of the strict guidelines which increase the cost of bringing a diesel passenger car to market, and the stigma associated with passenger diesel cars here in the U.S. due to GM's miserable failure with diesels in the 70s.

How many websites shall I send you ?
Here's another 1 : http://en.autos.sympatico.msn.ca/GreenCentre/article.aspx?cp-documentid=5499526

70's are long gone, back then diesel was dirty. It's much more high tech now.
40% of all European cars are diesel.

Anyways, just google : diesel compared to gas

brett636

How many websites shall I send you ?
Here's another 1 : http://en.autos.sympatico.msn.ca/GreenCentre/article.aspx?cp-documentid=5499526

70's are long gone, back then diesel was dirty. It's much more high tech now.
40% of all European cars are diesel.

Anyways, just google : diesel compared to gas

Wow, you are truly one thick headed fool. No wonder you thought it was a good idea to drink alcohol on company time.

I am agreeing with you on diesels. I want to see more diesels in this country. I am stating to you why there are few diesel passenger cars in this country. I am seriously considering a diesel VW as my next car. What else do you need me to spell out for you so that you understand?

sheesh!

klein

You are fighting the wrong battle. I do not believe that diesels have lower mpgs or are more polluting than gas engines. Its the environazis here in the states that believe diesel is more polluting than gas.

Don't give me sh.t for your typos...LOL

brett636

Don't give me sh.t for your typos...LOL

I see no typo on my part, simply a reading comprehension problem on yours. I guess public education was seriously lacking in quality wherever you came from.

Anywho, glad you finally caught on. :knockedout:

JimJimmyJames

Big Time Feeder Driver
Since I am a vehicle nut (be they trucks, cars, bikes, or trains) I would love a rational policy in America when it came to diesels.

If we would combine a direct injection turbo diesel with hybrid electric technology, I think even the Volt's admittedly great fuel economy numbers can be topped.

And if it ran on biodiesel it would further decrease our reliance on foreign energy.

Instead of ethanol, which has proven to be a failure except when used as a 10% +/- additive, biodiesel should be our ultimate near term alternative fuel source.

But, as brett636 has pointed out, there is strong resistence to diesel based on past perception and because of the hippies (I have been wanting to throw that word out there for some time :funny:) and their noble, but I feel ultimately misplaced, environmental concerns (given the strides made in cleaning up diesel emissions).

With proper education I think both obstacles can be overcome. But here is the big question: does big oil want them to be?

klein

Since I am a vehicle nut (be they trucks, cars, bikes, or trains) I would love a rational policy in America when it came to diesels.

If we would combine a direct injection turbo diesel with hybrid electric technology, I think even the Volt's admittedly great fuel economy numbers can be topped.

And if it ran on biodiesel it would further decrease our reliance on foreign energy.

Instead of ethanol, which has proven to be a failure except when used as a 10% +/- additive, biodiesel should be our ultimate near term alternative fuel source.

But, as brett636 has pointed out, there is strong resistence to diesel based on past perception and because of the hippies (I have been wanting to throw that word out there for some time :funny:) and their noble, but I feel ultimately misplaced, environmental concerns (given the strides made in cleaning up diesel emissions).

With proper education I think both obstacles can be overcome. But here is the big question: does big oil want them to be?

Don't worry about big oil, it takes more oil to produce diesel, then gasoline.
And personaly, big oil has no more bondage to the goverment anymore.
Goverment owns the cars... and they want them to sell.

Biofuel, there is a major concern .
Which state is it ? Think Minnisota... more of thier corn is going for bio fuels then for food.
It's not substainable, to use most of farmland to fuel our cars.
We got to eat, too.

I think electric cars are the future, but as for torque (towing something, like a camper trailer) we will need hybrid diesel.