go FT or stay PT

S

speeddemon

If your going to make UPS your career, you need to go fulltime so you can start to acrue full time credit toward you pension.

tieguy

Banned
Yeah, that is why i posted this question up. If you work in a big hub they are alway going to need help. If you're on the extra work list and have high seniority you are guaranteed to get a chance to double shift. I don't think UPS or the union would have a problem with that. It's kinda equals out to fulltime work but you get to choose to work when you like to instead of working 8 hours a day. Plus 1.5 after 5 hours. I know somebody that has over 10 years and is still PT.

Your question depends on what you want. If you want guaranteed hours then go full time. If you like having the flexibility of walking away after 5 hours when you need it then stay part time.

helenofcalifornia

Isn't your pension based on hours worked? So if he worked a ton of hours, that would all go to his pension hours accrued. Isn't it 2000 hours a year to score a full year of pension? So maybe he is working close to the 2000 hour level. I agree with another poster though, if UPS is going to be your career, jump in the pool and go full time.

barrycold

I'll probably go back to FT when they offer me my job back. Can't really live off of part time status just doubling all the time.

Overpaid Union Thug

In my situation I got laid off my combo job that I only had for a couple of months. I went back to where I came from. I will be the first person to be offered the same job. Now I have a choice to be FT or stay PT.

Full-timers can't go back to part-time. Last time I checked anyway. We have a couple of 22.3 people that work hours only 90% of the time but are still full-time according to HR's books.

Mike Hawk

If your going to make UPS your career, you need to go fulltime so you can start to acrue full time credit toward you pension.
I got enough hours for FT credit last year, $1200 annual benefit accrued. Helped during peak, but I had 2 months off for a broken collar bone.

barrycold

Full-timers can't go back to part-time. Last time I checked anyway. We have a couple of 22.3 people that work hours only 90% of the time but are still full-time according to HR's books.

When you get laid off you go back to PT. I know full timers can eventually go PT now but that's a long process. It's in the new contract.

Overpaid Union Thug

When you get laid off you go back to PT. I know full timers can eventually go PT now but that's a long process. It's in the new contract.

You can demand your 8 hours. As a driver I do this occasionally when we have too many drivers. I've worked all kinds of different cobinations of jobs to get my 8 hours.