God bless this widow for standing up to UPS

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The cheap shot is dragging this out for years, take your blinders off for a minute hear, this company does ot care about you, me or anyone else anymore and they would rather just pay her off and buy her silence. I hope she takes it all the way to court just so we can see how much a life is worth to ups, because than the settlement will become public knowledge.

Red, I admire your compassion but respectfully think that it may be clouding your judgement. Even if the widow does see her day in court, the terms of the financial settlement, if any, are often sealed and may be awarded contingent upon her agreement not to discuss the circumstances of the incident so, in essence, she will be asked to agree to the gag order which UPS has already asked her to agree to in exchange for a financial settlement that she could have without the heartache of reliving this tragedy in a courtroom. There is always the possibility that UPS would prevail and there would be no financial settlement. No one is asking her to forget the past and no amount of money will bring her husband back but I think the realistic thing to do would be to take the financial settlement and agree to the gag order.

pretzel_man

I'm often amazed at this board. So many people believe their perspective is the only possible one and refuse to see facts stating the opposite. In fact, when presented with opposing information, they assume the other poster is the one with the jaded view.

Its funny, but this is the exact behavior they claim UPS management uses.

In one thread, people will complain that UPS is improperly pushing safety issues stating that "If you work at UPS and aren't smart enough to know there are UPS VEHICLES in the yard as you are walking around........"

In another, they complain that UPS is horrible because they are looking for a "gag order" in an accident settlement. The same people that complain management is brainwashed, only see a single side of a story. Even in a serious one where someone has died.

I find the use of the phrase "gag order" interesting. The following is the definition of a gag order: "A restrictive court order that prohibits all or some participants in a trial from speaking about a case or that stops publications and broadcasting stations from reporting on certain aspects of a case." From what I've been reading, it seems to be generally used to prohibit discussion of a case while a trial is going on.

I believe UPS is looking for a "confidential settlement agreement". Here are reasons why a defendant would want one: "A confidentiality agreement will usually be requested by a defendant. The defendant may wish to be able to publicly deny wrongdoing, and may be concerned that a large settlement will overshadow any protestations of innocence. The defendant may wish to avoid creating a precedent which might inspire other potential plaintiffs to make similar claims in the hope of achieving a similar settlement. A celebrity defendant might fear that lawsuits based upon false accusations might follow from public knowledge of a substantial settlement, or may hope that a confidentiality agreement will help facilitate recovery from career damage caused by high profile litigation."

My point is that I don't know the case details. People here do not either. But, because UPS wants some protection, the company is automatically wrong. Show me facts (not opinions) to the contrary and I will speak against the company. This is not what many on the opposite side are willing to do.

P-Man

The incident is unfortunate but they are probably asking too much $$$. Looks like the shabby treatment maybe coming from her attorney. He may have botch their case. Send in Ken Feinberg he can fix it.

tieguy

Banned
"Our side"? Apparently that's your job and you're winging it in your usual fashion. In a previous thread you asked for proof of the story in the form of an Associated Press article or a police ledger. Here Red provides just that and you are now angling that it's probably her lawyer! Why? Because "our" side can't be wrong. Turn up the volume Spin Doctor.

I am a management person so the context of our side would be correct.

It looks like UPS is willing to give the wife a settlement even though her husband jumped down behind a trailer that was backing up.
thats pretty generous.
ups obviously wants to keep this out of the press. More so the amount of the settlement so its not leveraged in future litigation.

Now lets. look at the press issue logically.
the wife could have gone to the press many times over if that was her intent. Its clearly not.
The lawyer however can gain a lot by using this settlement for bragging purposes to drum up future business. The last thing the lawyer wants is her signing a gag order.

Now I would expect Red to make himself an unwitting pawn of a greedy lawyer but I'm sure you already had this figured out?

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
cheap shot your spouse is dying and you are on fmla leave. ups sends you a letter of termination for missing too much work. your spouce receives it and kills himself the next day. leaves you a note this is better for you. thats a cheap shot. ups wanted me back to work day after funeral. I went they won. got me back to word full time.

Wow,
First of allI am very sorry for your loss.
Secondly, I have heard of some lowlife crap out of this company, but that has got to bo the lowest one ever. I do not know how you manage to get up and come into that place after something like that!!!!

You must be a very strong person!!!

tieguy

Banned
im sorry red I thought we were talking about a greedy lawyer who is using one of our widows and indirectly using schmucks like you to build up his personal wealth and reputation.

are we now on haz mats?:happy2:

Let me know if I should report myself for beating you to hard.

Bubbles you usually like to walk into a swinging door, why don't you jump in here and take some of Reds beating.:happy2:

705red

Browncafe Steward
im sorry red I thought we were talking about a greedy lawyer who is using one of our widows and indirectly using schmucks like you to build up his personal wealth and reputation.

are we now on haz mats?:happy2:
Theres your first mistake, trying to think! This thread is dedicated to outing maroon management that violate safety compliances which could result in serious injury to an employee or the general public, somewhere that we could post factual info without having a gag order put on it to cover it up.

Have I somehow outed your inabilities as a management person in this thread?

tieguy

Banned
Theres your first mistake, trying to think! This thread is dedicated to outing maroon management that violate safety compliances which could result in serious injury to an employee or the general public, somewhere that we could post factual info without having a gag order put on it to cover it up.

Have I somehow outed your inabilities as a management person in this thread?

Red this is where you tell me how the lawer is working pro bono and sleeps in a monastary at night...ROFLMAO. Comon bubbles save this guy.

Red I'm reporting myself. I've beat you so hard I deserve an infraction.:happy-very:

705red

Browncafe Steward
Tie, i understand that the new pig vavle might be wired a littl tight, but this has never been about the attorneys. This is how UPS treats people and violates whatever laws they want because they have the money and resources to do so.

You are always running to defend this company and for what? they do this to themselves and we should discuss this issues. If your not up for it read your Dr. Phil how to be a better lover book.

tieguy

Banned
Tie, i understand that the new pig vavle might be wired a littl tight, but this has never been about the attorneys. This is how UPS treats people and violates whatever laws they want because they have the money and resources to do so.

You are always running to defend this company and for what? they do this to themselves and we should discuss this issues. If your not up for it read your Dr. Phil how to be a better lover book.

Red,

I couldn't get a pig valve seems there was a run on them by union officials. I had to go with the all beef version. I eat a lot more chicken now.:happy2:

Honestly i have no problem defending this company against some slime ball lawyer using a widow to promote his own wealth and reputation.

My infraction got denied the moderator said you deserved it.:happy-very: j/k

705red

Browncafe Steward
Im posting nothing but facts that all have websites linked to them. I see now UPS plans on spending a billion dollars this year, but we still have people laid off. This is no time to be spending that money.

fxdwg

Long Time Member
The exchange between Red and Tie is why BC is turning off so many people.
Why don't you both argue via a PM or something?
No offense, but your public banter just feeds into the union/non-union division that exists and is seemingly being notched up on here.
Is there a reason?
Think about the affect on all of us................or don't!

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
No offense, but your public banter just feeds into the union/non-union division that exists and is seemingly being notched up on here.
Is there a reason?
LOL You haven't been around long enough to tell either one of them what to do and not do. Maybe when you get past your first 5000 posts....................................... or not!

fxdwg

Long Time Member
LOL You haven't been around long enough to tell either one of them what to do and not do. Maybe when you get past your first 5000 posts....................................... or not!

Yes I have been around long enough. Alright, just blow it off and then blame it on the management side. That seems to be the typical BC thing!

P

pickup

Someone suggested that it might be the lawyer pushing for a no gag order not to be attached to this settlement. I tend to disagree with this opinion. The widow is the probably the one pushing for this gag order not to be in effect. If she were just in it for the money, she would simply tell her attorney to take the money with the gag order. The attorney is probably working on consignment (i.e. 1/3 of settlement). If he is on consignment, then his payment is contingent on things being settled. The longer it takes for a settlement, the longer it takes for him to get paid.
As for the widow not saying anything over the years, perhaps she is following legal advice and common sense to not say anything that can be used to counter her claims.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Is there a reason?

Fixed, you make a very good point. What began as a civil debate over an unfortunate tragedy has devolved in to a union/mgt argument. I respect both Red and Tie both for their opinions and the experience that they bring to the discussion. It is when this discussion segways to a union/mgt argument that I, and many others, tend to lose interest.

What the hell difference does that make? Fixed was making an observation, which I find to be a valid one, and politely suggesting that they have this discussion privately and that this may be one of the reasons participation here has gone down in recent weeks. (I think the primary reason may be the site changes)

Yes I have been around long enough. Alright, just blow it off and then blame it on the management side. That seems to be the typical BC thing!

Fixed, it doesn't matter whether this is your first post or if you are nearing 8,000--every member is encouraged to offer constructive criticism which can only serve to make BC even better.

You don't like it................................................ you can always leave.

As can you and me and anyone else on here. No member is greater than another and each brings his/her unique perspective and set of experiences to the table.

jimstud

Banned
hey tiger why don't you and fxdwg get on your knees and worship at the altar of the ups supervisor. neitherone of you offer constructive anything but scarcasm and bullsh t when you don't agree with someone. so in your own words big yawn.