God, Religion, Wampeters, Foma & Granfalloons

over9five

Staff member
Re: United Way Intimidation

I can change my beliefs if one of you "intelligent" chaps can create a human life out of a lump of clay. Any takers?

Nope, I can't do that. Perhaps you could arrange a demonstration?

So you are saying anyone with intelligence cannot possibly be Christian?

Sorry, not at all. I agree that it is an emotional need. Old people, nearing death, wanting desperately to believe there's something after. If it gives them some sort of comfort, that's just great.

Sometimes it just bugs me that an otherwise intelligent person could possibly believe in all that. I just never understood "why". Because you read a book, and believed magic happened 2000 years ago? Or was it because you were indoctrinated as a child, and had no choice BUT to believe it? Now you spend every Sunday in the church/temple/mosque listening to the magic words waiting for...what? Well, when it happens, give me a call. I'll believe it when I see it.

I apologize to anyone I've offended with my beliefs (or lack thereof!)

I'm out.

tieguy

Banned

Its apparent you didn't attend that biology class or this subject is way of your pedotrolling head. To deny the foundation of christian beliefs you have to be able to create a life form out of a non life form.

thus my question is there anyone that would like to convert me to atheisim by creating a lifeform out of a lump of clay? Perhaps someone has a special microwave oven that can do this?

tieguy

Banned

I learned in 1990 how the shakedown was for the United Way. I had previously donated to the UW the year before. The following year I was informed that my donation(same as the previous year), by the manager standing outside the pcm door in front of everybody, was unacceptable. In conclusion, I have not given to UW since. However, I do donated to another cause.

absolultely its a known fact that all employees screwing their managers united way fund give generously somewhere else:happy2:

If this is a logical response to your manager in 1990 then my question would be is it ok to discharge you for something someone else did. After all following your applied logic through it appears you have decided to punish all of your management teams , all of ups and all of those in need in society due to one person back in 1990 being an ass?

Last edited:

tieguy

Banned

For most people religious faith fills an emotional need, I don't think intelligence really has anything to do with it.

thats totally illogical for someone with intelligence to argue. Emotional needs are short term and not lifelong habits.

tieguy

Banned

Nope, I can't do that. Perhaps you could arrange a demonstration?

you guys "of intelligence" have not thought your beliefs through. If Your arguement of intelligence against religion is on a firm basis then you have to be able to demonstrate the ability of creating life out of a non life form. If you can't do that then the only possible argument for the creation of life is that it was created by a higher life form. What you choose to call that higher life form is your choice.

tieguy

Banned

I got sidetracked from the point i started to respond to. I think This world is slowly gone to hell over the years. Religious teachings actually provide a good foundation for raising your kids. If you decide you can somehow raise your kids the "right" way without any religious influences you will eventually be drawn back to the same foundation , the same teachings the same moral guidance provided by many of todays religious institutions. why fight it ?

jimstud

Banned

I got sidetracked from the point i started to respond to. I think This world is slowly gone to hell over the years. Religious teachings actually provide a good foundation for raising your kids. If you decide you can somehow raise your kids the "right" way without any religious influences you will eventually be drawn back to the same foundation , the same teachings the same moral guidance provided by many of todays religious institutions. why fight it ?

that is total bull. you can raise your children and teach them right from wrong without religion. look back to the events of sept. 11th all done in the name of god. people have been murdering their fellow human beings in the name of god since the dawn of time.

UnconTROLLed

perfection

he / she (don't want to offend anybody) would hve a couple of teamsters do it with lifting aids . don't forget god is management. can't you tell by tie / socks and all other management posts.

That one was too deep for you .

Yes, you may be joking (or not) ...l I agree though, a small but fair portion of management have that classic UPS holier-than-thou, narcissistic attitude. One of the classic signs of a true narcissist ( I learned *ahem* years ago in psych) are knowingly/unknowingly comparing themselves with Jesus, God or other omnipotent figures. Scary!

UnconTROLLed

perfection

Tie, a good moral foundation and lifestyles begin at home through teachings and guidance, from birth and continued into adulthood.
A happy and stable early family life, thus leading to a successful individual, DOES NOT require the influence or persuasion of the church.
You can argue this until you are blue in the face and blue in font color, nothing's going to change that.

I would also like to say that, if you believe in God, you should not judge others capabilities and intellect level of those who do not have the same beliefs.
Likewise, those who do not believe should not cast aside believers as lacking intelligence.

moreluck

golden ticket member

The Golden Rule......whether you consider it religious or not is the simple way to do right without a lot of rules. I think spirituality makes sense. Better to ask W.W.J.D. (what would Jesus do) than W.W.L.G.G.D. (what would Lady Ga Ga do)?

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!

It amazes me how this thread turned from U.W to GOD . I don't understand how we all bellieve the things from the past that we never saw,such as our for/ fathers comming here & starting the new world.
None of us ever saw the Frech Revelution,Napoleon,Gangis Kahn or Alexander conquor the world. We never saw the civil war,a slave ship or a Roman legion march onward!!! Yet we all believe it!!
Why because Some one in the past saw it and wrote it all down thus becomming history.Just like the 12 men who followed Jesus everywhere & wrote it all down,never mind the thousands who heard Him speak or were cured by HIm !
I think there are things science can not prove,proving how the universe came to be is not as simple as the science of turning water into ice.
When science can prove that you can walk on un frozen water such as Jesus,I may change my view,for now I will go with God as the answer.

jimstud

Banned

It amazes me how this thread turned from U.W to GOD . I don't understand how we all bellieve the things from the past that we never saw,such as our for/ fathers comming here & starting the new world.
None of us ever saw the Frech Revelution,Napoleon,Gangis Kahn or Alexander conquor the world. We never saw the civil war,a slave ship or a Roman legion march onward!!! Yet we all believe it!!
Why because Some one in the past saw it and wrote it all down thus becomming history.Just like the 12 men who followed Jesus everywhere & wrote it all down,never mind the thousands who heard Him speak or were cured by HIm !
I think there are things science can not prove,proving how the universe came to be is not as simple as the science of turning water into ice.
When science can prove that you can walk on un frozen water such as Jesus,I may change my view,for now I will go with God as the answer.
what amazes me is how some equate a belief in a higher power with organized religion. tell me covemaster do you think the 12 men who followed jesus would approve of the crap going on in the catholic church ,priests molesting children and then upper management covering it up. how about the true followers of allah and the killing of innocent people with airplanes.

moreluck

golden ticket member

The buildings with all the ornate decorations and statues and stained glass windows is not the church! Organized religion is the invention of man. Believing in a higher power is what constitutes "religion" to me. It doesn't have a specific name. It's knowing that your destiny awaits you and how you handle it is what builds your character.

tieguy

Banned

what amazes me is how some equate a belief in a higher power with organized religion. tell me covemaster do you think the 12 men who followed jesus would approve of the crap going on in the catholic church ,priests molesting children and then upper management covering it up. how about the true followers of allah and the killing of innocent people with airplanes.

your union has a pretty crappy record rife with stories of corruption. you withdraw from them yet? You making any posts anywhere badmouthing the union?

how you teaching kids the ten commandments without crediting the teachings of a religion? Or did you deciide to skip those teachings when you raise your kids using "your better way"

tieguy

Banned

Well, covemaster , I unfortunately started this tangent with my above post, but my point was to show that some people's version of the united way (with the belief that this is the best way to donate and therefore the element of some coercion is okay) is very similar to the way the Catholic Church used to operate.

And for some people who argue that the United way has fed starving children(and I am not saying the organization hasn't). It can be presumed that some of those kids have grown up and might be working in some ups hubs right now. Where is the charitable approach in the hubs? Why feed them so they can grow up and then unfairly treat some of them like garbage once they work in the hub ? Anyone reading this post knows what I am talking about.

Why does ups seemingly care so much about charity (read their press releases ) but there seems to be a lack of charitable feelings within the organization?

Ultimately the people that make up ups have done so much to better their community. Your attempt to tie that into the worst side of religion does not change the good that upsers have done.

tieguy

Banned

So now we find out that most of you who believe in screwing the poor in order to screw the boss are also godless. For some reason I'm not surprised. :happy2: