Goin' Fishing!!

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
Like Over said,what happens on the trip ,stays on the trip. But I can't get this image out of my mind!!!!

default.jpg

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Hey Sober, you're back! How was the trip?

Had a great time, but the fishing was terrible.

The Chinooks in Tillamook Bay werent biting. Even the guide boats werent catching any, we only saw 2 or 3 get caught all week.

So we switched over to fishing for Coho salmon in the Nehelem river. They were biting, we caught over 40 of them, but you can only keep the hatchery fish and you are required to release the natives...which of course are the only ones that were biting.

We wound up with 4 keepers for the entire week; a 15 lb hatchery Coho, a 3 lb jack salmon, an 8" trout and a 4 foot shark that we caught in the bay.

The crabbing was somewhat better, we pulled in a couple dozen Dungeness crabs and boiled them up every day out in the garage and had a crab feed.

I caught 2 coho salmon, but they were natives so I had to release them. It isnt even legal to remove them from the water long enough to take a picture, so you will have to take my word for it.

We had some excitement when a guy on a nearby boat caught a salmon and before he could reel it in a harbor seal grabbed it and took off with it. You cant reel in a 400 lb seal with a fishing pole, the only way to make it let go of your fish is to chase it down with the boat. The seal will dive underwater, so you keep reeling in and circling the spot where your line is going into the water. The seal will be forced to come up for air in a few minutes and at that point will sometimes let go of your fish. This particular seal decided to take the salmon underneath and around our boat, causing the line that the salmon was hooked on to get tangled up with all 4 of our lines. Both boats had to cut all of their lines, the seal wound up with the salmon, and we were out $25 worth of lures and swivels and sinkers.:biting:

I won about $50 playing poker. Its easy to beat drunks at poker.:wink2:

Big Babooba

Had a great time, but the fishing was terrible.

The Chinooks in Tillamook Bay werent biting. Even the guide boats werent catching any, we only saw 2 or 3 get caught all week.

So we switched over to fishing for Coho salmon in the Nehelem river. They were biting, we caught over 40 of them, but you can only keep the hatchery fish and you are required to release the natives...which of course are the only ones that were biting.

We wound up with 4 keepers for the entire week; a 15 lb hatchery Coho, a 3 lb jack salmon, an 8" trout and a 4 foot shark that we caught in the bay.

The crabbing was somewhat better, we pulled in a couple dozen Dungeness crabs and boiled them up every day out in the garage and had a crab feed.

I caught 2 coho salmon, but they were natives so I had to release them. It isnt even legal to remove them from the water long enough to take a picture, so you will have to take my word for it.

We had some excitement when a nearby boat caught a salmon and before the guy could reel it in a harbor seal grabbed the salmon and took off with it. You cant reel in a 400 lb seal with a fishing pole, the only way to make it let go of your fish is to chase it down with the boat. The seal will dive underwater, so you keep reeling in and circling the spot where your line is going into the water. The seal will be forced to come up for air in a few minutes and at that point will sometimes let go of your fish. This particular seal decided to take the salmon underneath and around our boat, causing the line that the salmon was hooked on to get tangled up with all 4 of our lines. Both boats had to cut all of their lines, the seal wound up with the salmon, and we were out $25 worth of lures and swivels and sinkers.:biting:

I won about $50 playing poker. Its easy to beat drunks at poker.:wink2:
I've always had an easy time catching the crabs.