Going from loader to unloader?

Hi all, I was recently hired as a PT loader for the twilight shift and it is :censored2: killing me. Not because of the weight of the boxes, but because of my height. Even with the load stand, I'm struggling to balance and tippie-toe on it just to fill up that top space. I'm a solid 4 inches shorter than the second shortest loader in my hub. I've only been here for a week. From what I've seen, unloaders have it way easier thanks to the assistance of gravity. My short height will greatly benefit from that. :-) Is it possible to ask my sup, shop steward, etc. to change me to an unloader? If so, how long should I wait before asking? Should I purposely slow my PPH down as an incentive? Sorry for the long post, but I need answers. I haven't asked management yet because I don't want to look like a pusillanimous, basically.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Hi all, I was recently hired as a PT loader for the twilight shift and it is :censored2: killing me. Not because of the weight of the boxes, but because of my height. Even with the load stand, I'm struggling to balance and tippie-toe on it just to fill up that top space. I'm a solid 4 inches shorter than the second shortest loader in my hub. I've only been here for a week. From what I've seen, unloaders have it way easier thanks to the assistance of gravity. My short height will greatly benefit from that. :-) Is it possible to ask my sup, shop steward, etc. to change me to an unloader? If so, how long should I wait before asking? Should I purposely slow my PPH down as an incentive? Sorry for the long post, but I need answers. I haven't asked management yet because I don't want to look like a pusillanimous, basically.
You are a wedge....a seasonal employee. If you can't hack it, they will find someone who can. Stop crying and be happy you have a job until after the holidays...if they decide to keep you. Once you make book, then request all you want.

AllOnTheHorses

Talk to HR. Tell them that you want to stay with UPS but that you are concerned about burning out in this current position and you want to know about shifting over to unload. Keep it informal. Don't mention it to your sup yet. You don't want to be labelled as a whiner. Just get a feel for the weather. IYKWIM

BrownBrokeDown

Yeah he's talking about moving out of loading the semi's to unloading the incoming freight, semi or package car.

If you are a seasonal, basically you do what they tell you to do if you want to stay. If your not seasonal, basically you do what they tell you to till your out of your 90. Loading kills everyone when they start if they have half a work ethic. I lost 50 lbs in my first 6 months loading. First week i was so sore/back seized up, my wife would have to help me into the tub each night to try to loosen up in hot water. It will get better, but I will say, loading is the :censored2: of the twilight shift.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

You are a wedge....a seasonal employee. If you can't hack it, they will find someone who can. Stop crying and be happy you have a job until after the holidays...if they decide to keep you. Once you make book, then request all you want.
As for this guy, I'm certainly not crying. It kills my back to tippie-toe to get every package up there. My PPH is way past what I'm supposed to have after the 30 day mark (I'm at 410-ish on week 2). I just hope most of the guys on here aren't as assumptious as you are.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
As for this guy, I'm certainly not crying. It kills my back to tippie-toe to get every package up there. My PPH is way past what I'm supposed to have after the 30 day mark (I'm at 410-ish on week 2). I just hope most of the guys on here aren't as assumptious as you are.
That's a chick telling you quit whining just FYI.