Going to Disney World in June. Anyone else?

M

moreluck

JMHO...I think the "happiest place on earth" is hell at any age.

I hate standing in line for ANYTHING!!!

G

gman

With a good plan and realistic expectations, it's not so bad. We plan to use the pool a lot (no waiting), we already have reservations for every meal (no waiting), reservations for recreation like parasailing and water skiing(no waiting), We are right next to Epcot and MGM and plan to get in for early admission and extra hours at night for the best rides to cut down on waiting and use fast pass for others the cuts way down on waiting. Of course if you show up at the gate at 10:30 AM and expect to ride the best rides and want to eat at Cinderellas Castle without reservations, you're in big trouble. We're more about the relaxation and pampering part of Disney than the rides anyway. There is no waiting for the sun shine to get a tan.

And as for taking the little ones too soon, your are absolutly right. I did it twice (slow learner). I would say at least six years old and seven or eight would be better. I am taking my baby girl this year though. But now shes 26 and married! My son has no interest. His daughter will be a year old (see picture to left) soon and he says go ahead and take her Papa. But I think when she is old enough, he will change his mind.

(Message edited by Gman on May 14, 2005)

M

mojobuc

rush, lol!
We learned atfer the first year to stay at one of the resorts on Disney.
This and a park hopper pass, and you can get there early, split to the room for a nap/drink/both, and then head back later all a short bus ride away.
HOPING to stay at the Contemporary this year, if all continues to go well, and make it even easier.
Also 3 days there, you can see pretty much all of the Magic Kingdom and Animal kingdom.
Once they get a little older(5 and 7 now) we'll hit Universal/MGM for the good rides!

M

ms.

The Boardwalk hotel is very nice. We stayed at the Dolphin and stopped at the ice cream shop next to the Boardwalk's pool almost every night. There is also a little concession stand by the pool that has really good chicken fingers!
Heed everyone's advise about the FastPass. Go straight to the ride and get one then walk around the shops or eat until it's time. You'll be standing in line for an hour or more anyway, might as well just come back in an hour. Another tip is go the opposite direction of the crowd, usually this means GO LEFT.

M

mojobuc

Just got back from our 'Happiest Celebration on Earth" vacation and thank God we went to Cocoa Beach for a few days after Disney!

We also took my 19 year old nephew with us, as a graduation present, and because of him, I got to go on all the rides I 've missed out on due to my kids young age and their common sense still being in tact.

Went on Space Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain for the ?? time at Disney, hopped over to MGM and went on Tower of Terror, 1st time, really cool, and Aerosmiths coaster, again 1st time and really cool.

Then went to Epcot for 1/2 a day, ate in Japan, and tried that ride Mission Space.
It is something I would only go on again as a dare with my brothers, or my kids when they get older.

Only ride I can think of that has barf bags in between the seats, just in case.
Wasn't a bad ride, but you do get disorientated if you look around and not stare directly at the screen in front of you.
It was pretty intense, and not something I would ever bring my kids on.

G

gman

I returned a week ago today. Not one of our better trips. Had a problem with our passes, computer glitch, and my wife twisted her knee our third day and couldn't walk to well the rest of the stay. Only rode a total of nine attractions in six days. Never made it to Animal kingdom or MGM. BUT, we ate like pigs (gained ten pounds in six days, went parasailing for the first time, went out on a fishing trip and caught six of the biggest bass I've ever seen, took a trip over to Jimmy Buffets Margaritaville at Universal City Walk and had a ball, went drinking around the world with my son-in-law and a couple of his freinds at Epcot, (I didn't quite make it around the world, the Margarita at Mexico killed me), did a little jet ski-speed boat action and closed Jelly Rolls dueling piano bar twice. Probably could have done the week without passes to the parks and never even missed it. Except for Epcot I guess.

I have to say, the help at Disney is not quite as freindly as it used to be. But for what they make, I hardly blame them for having trouble trying to find a smile for every tourist in 95 degree heat while wearing a long sleeve costume with long pants and a buttoned collar with a tie. But that won't stop me from going back in a couple years. The wife loves the dining plan.

M

mojobuc

gman,
one thing I don't get about Disney is every other park (Epcot, Animal Kingdom, and MGM) have those 'water misters' to keep cool, but not disney, except over at the Pirates of Carribean.
Disney is also so much more crowded, that it is in my opinion, the least fun of the bunch.

I am hoping to go to Universal in a few years when the kids get a little older, Island of Adventure sounds cool.
Also wife and I are going to wait until my parents or any responsible relative goes with us b4 we can close any bar again, but I do want to get over to City Walk as well.

happy.gif
A few years ago, my wife, young son and I met my 2 single brothers, my cousin, her husband and their late teen twin daughters, and early 20 year old daughter at Epcot.
Can say the females were lot more responsible then males, at least that day. Started in Mexico with a bottle of Tequila, and made it thru the day, every country, tried most every beverage.
Lots of fun, but a rough, rough, next day.
The jumping water was very fascinating that night as well.

Also met 'Tia and Tamara' the twin movie stars, they and my cousins talked a few minutes and took pictures with all us. they were very freindly and really cool, from what I remember.

T

traveler

mojo,

As to the water misters the original Disney park is the oldest of the bunch. I don't think old Walt knew how hot and humid Florida is in the summer! The newer parks are much more technologically advanced.

Living in this area, we don't go to the parks too frequently but I would rate "Islands of Adventure" as one of the best parks for teens and adults. The dueling dragons coaster is great. It appears as if the two coasters will crash into each other at one point in the ride. The Hulk ride is also a great roller coaster. I don't know if "Dr Doom?" ride is still operating but it scares the crap of of me every time
stars.gif
. Don't overlook Sea World either. It is not as intense as the other parks but it is very enjoyable. The even offer FREE beer at the pavilion at the back of the park! They do try to limit you to two beers but since my wife doesn't like beer
happy.gif
, well, you get the idea.

R

rushfan

As mentioned before, anything Disney+Kids=Hell on earth. Not till they are, well let's say um...25 I go to Disneyland or World with them. I know, I'm no fun.

542thruNthru

I was supposed to go for my 50th B-day but my son decided to get married, The next year my daughter got hitched so this year it's finally my turn! After dish out so much cash for weddings, I'm surprised my wife is willing to go. Anybody have any don't miss favorites in the World.

@MyTripisCut help this guy out would ya.