Going to Integrad getting a lot of mixed information from fellow employees.

szak62

I used the Search function too! But I was just curious some people I work with told me that when you go down it's driving a manual in their mock town and an automatic out on the actual road for your final testing can anyone clarify this for me?

kingOFchester

Integrad = ridiculous waste of time and money.

You got that right!!

What they should do:

Road test in an old beater with Sup. 1 hour ride. Hills, traffic and highways. If they pass, they then go to the center they will drive in. 1 day of hazmats and all the legal requirements. Then 1 week with a driver that runs scratch or the driver closest to scratch that has been accident free for many years and been driving for many years ( 15years plus).

They would be getting one on one training from the best. 9+ hours a day for 5 days.

That is all they need. UPS would save a fortune and have better drivers out of the gate.

oldngray

nowhere special
Integrad only makes sense if everyone delivered in Clarkesville. On road exoerience in the center is quicker, cheaper, and a much better way of learning.

UPSER110

I used the Search function too! But I was just curious some people I work with told me that when you go down it's driving a manual in their mock town and an automatic out on the actual road for your final testing can anyone clarify this for me?

Yes you are correct for the landover MD Integrad. You will be in a newer 700 automatic on the real streets, and a p-32 stick shift no power steering in the parking lot town.

you aint even know it

Well-Known Troll
Troll
You got that right!!

What they should do:

Road test in an old beater with Sup. 1 hour ride. Hills, traffic and highways. If they pass, they then go to the center they will drive in. 1 day of hazmats and all the legal requirements. Then 1 week with a driver that runs scratch or the driver closest to scratch that has been accident free for many years and been driving for many years ( 15years plus).

They would be getting one on one training from the best. 9+ hours a day for 5 days.

That is all they need. UPS would save a fortune and have better drivers out of the gate.

Supervisors giving road tests? Do you know what madness that would cost? Who would become drivers? People who allowed the contract to be pissed on, or managements favorites? I would rather the division manager or center manager give me a road test before ANY sup. And I'm sure that IF you were a part timer and were to become a driver, you wouldn't want a sup to road test you? Your future in a sup's hands? Seriously!?

Overpaid Union Thug

A driver or supervisor with minimal experience can teach a newbie more practical info on road in one day than Integrad does in a week. And without the high costs of airline tickets, hotel rooms, per diem, and the price tag for the operating Integrad. If UPS is still looking for ways to cut costs and tricking their non employee stock holders into thinking that they have their shiiite together then Integrad should be at the top of their short list.

browndingo

This is true for the Franklin Park location. The on-road cars are automatic 700s with power steering and the mock town cars are manual 500s (without power steering).

You're going to hear a lot of garbage from drivers who have never been to Integrad that it's a waste of time and money and that you would get better training on the job. The thing is, at no point in your Integrad training are you told that this is all the training you will ever need. They are very up front that their job is to get you ready for your on-the-job training by giving you the basics on safety, using the DIAD and the 340 methods. It was never meant as a substitute for the experience the real world will give you. The teachers were all drivers at one point - many of them started in the days when your training was being given a carload and a clipboard and told "good luck."

They are also up front about the fact that not every center is the same. This is one of the first activities you'll do, in fact - talking to the other students about what's the same and what's different at their centers. What they focus on are the things that are the same almost everywhere - how to keep your load in good order, thinking ahead, learning your area, training your customers to help you. It's when you get back to the center and actually start to drive that you learn to put it all together.

It's funny that so many drivers (who have never been) will tell you "You won't learn anything at Integrad" because at Integrad they'll tell you "You're going to learn a lot from other drivers..."

Overpaid Union Thug

This is true for the Franklin Park location. The on-road cars are automatic 700s with power steering and the mock town cars are manual 500s (without power steering).

You're going to hear a lot of garbage from drivers who have never been to Integrad that it's a waste of time and money and that you would get better training on the job. The thing is, at no point in your Integrad training are you told that this is all the training you will ever need. They are very up front that their job is to get you ready for your on-the-job training by giving you the basics on safety, using the DIAD and the 340 methods. It was never meant as a substitute for the experience the real world will give you. The teachers were all drivers at one point - many of them started in the days when your training was being given a carload and a clipboard and told "good luck."

Garbage? So you are saying that recognizing that WASTING a ridiculous amount of money on putting newbies through a week long "training" regiment that does very little, if anything at all, to prepare drivers for the actual job is garbage? LOL! All of the drivers we've had that came through Integrad were no more prepared for driving then anyone before or after them that were just given the standard "three day ride." Look....it doesn't take a full week and a stack of cash for hotels and airline tickets to learn how to do this job. The worst driver in any center can teach a newb the complex, yet amazingly simple, series of events that lead up to completing a stop and then repeating that process over and over again throughout the day. Nor does it take that long and that amount of money to teach a newb how to work safe and how to apply the 5 seeing habits. It's just not that complicated. It is, in fact, a wast of time and money.

They are also up front about the fact that not every center is the same. This is one of the first activities you'll do, in fact - talking to the other students about what's the same and what's different at their centers. What they focus on are the things that are the same almost everywhere - how to keep your load in good order, thinking ahead, learning your area, training your customers to help you. It's when you get back to the center and actually start to drive that you learn to put it all together.

It's funny that so many drivers (who have never been) will tell you "You won't learn anything at Integrad" because at Integrad they'll tell you "You're going to learn a lot from other drivers..."

So, you think it makes good business sense for UPS to spend money to send someone halfway across the country and put them up in a hotel and pay for their food just to learn something that is the same everywhere? Why not let them stay in their home center and actually learn it there? And for less time and money. Nothing beats on the job training. I mean this whole deal is like paying expecting mothers to attend a week long class four states away with room and board on how to change diapers and feed their babies when they could learn it at home in less than a day for a cost that is negligible in comparison to the cost involved in attending the class. Its overkill. Plain and simple.

P

pickup

Not about you. But I dont know why some people bother signing that bid sheet when they know damn well they can't drive a manny.

Anyway , Junior, how did your road test for your driver's license work out for you in August? The fact that we heard about the test before it happened but not after , tells me that you probably failed as you Ain't all you think you are.

browndingo

So, you think it makes good business sense for UPS to spend money to send someone halfway across the country and put them up in a hotel and pay for their food just to learn something that is the same everywhere? Why not let them stay in their home center and actually learn it there? And for less time and money. Nothing beats on the job training. I mean this whole deal is like paying expecting mothers to attend a week long class four states away with room and board on how to change diapers and feed their babies when they could learn it at home in less than a day for a cost that is negligible in comparison to the cost involved in attending the class. Its overkill. Plain and simple.

Well, stopping at the gas station every day to pump up my leaky front tire is 25 cents. Getting the tire fixed is about $15. By your "business sense" it's better just to keep pumping it up than to fix it. Of course after I've put 60 quarters in the air pump at the station I've spent $15 anyway and I've still got the same problem.

The reason UPS developed Integrad is that 30% of new drivers were failing. That number for Integrad trainees is 10%. The money they spend on an Integrad student is cheap compared to the cost of constantly hiring new drivers to replace the ones that can't hack it.

UPS tracks Integrad trainees for a year after they finish. Like everything else, they measure it in terms of how much it costs. Not only how much it costs up front, but how much it costs in terms of what the company gets back. So far, Integrad must be worth the money. Just continuously pumping new hires into a system where a third of them are going to fail is not good business sense.

you aint even know it

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Anyway , Junior, how did your road test for your driver's license work out for you in August? The fact that we heard about the test before it happened but not after , tells me that you probably failed as you Ain't all you think you are.

thanks for asking, it went great! Got my license, saving up some money to buy a car.