Going "Viral"

vantexan

This is what I have been saying all along.

But you want us to write to the very people who are doing all of this and ask them to reconsider. If they didn't want to do this they wouldn't. What it appears you don't want is open criticism of FedEx that people outside of the company might hear about. Keep our dirty laundry out of sight. And you've been telling us in mid-range that things will get better in time, just hang in there. After almost 14 years things have only gotten worse and are about to get much worse. I've said before that I'm glad it's worked out well for you, but don't tell me I should be happy with the company because you are.

Goldilocks

But you want us to write to the very people who are doing all of this and ask them to reconsider. If they didn't want to do this they wouldn't. What it appears you don't want is open criticism of FedEx that people outside of the company might hear about. Wrong, just do it the right way first then hit them where it hurts Keep our dirty laundry out of sight. And you've been telling us in mid-range that things will get better in time, just hang in there. I truly believed that it would, After almost 14 years things have only gotten worse and are about to get much worse. I've said before that I'm glad it's worked out well for you, but don't tell me I should be happy with the company because you are. Never meant that at all, just wanted you guys to use whats in front of you. For example, I now take 17 saturdays a year off. I broke up my weeks (2 weeks alowed at my station) 4 days personel and floaters and 3 scheduled holiday. I know how to play the game...lol..

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Has anyone considered contacting the New York Times? Spell out the contrast between a unionized UPS and a prevented from unionizing Express. The campaign contributions to get favorable Congressional treatment which is leading to taking Express couriers completely out of the middle class.

The pen is mightier than the sword. And calls to action to throw monkey wrenches are falling on very few ears. I doubt the public is going to be sympathetic to tactics that could escalate into something dangerous. Look at the nutjob who killed those moviegoers in Colorado. Turn the public against you by going just a little overboard and you risk undoing any sympathetic support.

So why don't I write the NY Times? I've bourne the brunt of management misdeeds and mid-range corporate policy for almost 14 years since being rehired. I haven't seen topped out couriers come to my and other mid-range employees' defense. I have seen a few smirks here and there, and have heard plenty of "it's been great for me, why don't you just shut up and live with it" comments. Now topped out couriers, who are still in a better position to handle less hours than mid-range employees, are going to get a taste of what it has been like to struggle to make ends meet. Only it's going to be worse for many of you. I've never been in a position to buy a home or finance the kind of vehicle I'd like. Not so topped out couriers. I'm amazed at some of the vehicles parked at my station. Make no mistake about it though. Each employee is personally responsible for his obligations. I'm not going to risk my employment, my future, or even my freedom because you've suddenly found yourself in dire straits. I absolutely hate what the company has done and is about to do. But ultimately it's their company and I serve it at their pleasure. The only things that will ever inspire physical retaliation in any form from me is if they get physical, if they falsely accuse to get rid of me, or if they don't pay the pension I've earned. I will go to war then. I don't ever see any of that happening, and like I've done for most of my time at FedEx I'll just take it until I can finally leave. It didn't turn out like I hoped, but then very few things in life do.

I have written 60 Minutes several times requesting that they do a story on FedEx. No response at all, and I think I know why. FedEx is a major advertiser, and if CBS or any other network ran a hit piece on the company, FedEx would simply withdraw their advertising dollars. They don't want to alienate a major customer, even if that company runs a dirty operation.

One would think that the media would find a backstory on the real FedEx very interesting, and perhaps writing to newspapers and magazines might create enough interest that the FedEx dirt would finally get exposed. If your station is particularly bad, the local liberal weeklies often do exposes' of shoddy and shady companies. One would think that Ground would also be a good place to go given the way those folks are treated. The Ground safety record and the eligibility of many Ground employees for public assistance might also draw attention to FedEx practices.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
We can fight back. Massive sick-outs, work slowdowns, and other tactics could basically shut Express down. Despite all the bluster and threats of OLCC's and letters, we need to stand-up against this BS and take action. If the whole station sits down on their bumpers and watches the freight go down the belt, we send a big effing message. The same if we all call in sick and cripple the operation. I am so sick of the Purple People saying "we can't do that", or "I'll get an OLCC". Guess what? Grow a set and fight back!! They can't fire everyone, because nothing would get delivered, and thousands of customers would just shift their business over to UPS.

"NO, we can't do that!!" Sorry, but yes you can, and you need to start doing it soon or Fred S is going to just keep on taking. He knows that there is no history of fighting back, and he isn't expecting much resistance. Piss in this bastard's Cheerios, because he is surely going to piss in yours.

You've been threatening that (among other things) off and on for years now. Talk minus action equals zero.

bbsam

Staff member
If they don't really care about the practices at Walmart, why would they care about Ground? And when I say they don't care about Walmart, I mean the practices are brought to light, there's a momentary flash of outrage, maybe a couple cosmetic changes and then nothing more. In fact, an expose' on Ground would bring very mild response. Almost like people are numb to the idea that corporate America is bending them over. The real surprises are the companies that treat their people well.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
You've been threatening that (among other things) off and on for years now. Talk minus action equals zero.

True, but times seem to be changing don't they? That's why you are on here all the time trying to prevent people from taking action. Yesterday's Kool-Aid drinker is today's pissed-off employee who sees a 25% wage cut on the horizon and is wondering how he/she is going to make ends meet. That person is a lot more likely to act than they were previously, even if it's just calling in sick more often or not going over and above.

You see, Dano, people are finally waking up to the fact that they are being exploited, have been exploited, and are about to be really exploited by a company that thinks they are a cost, not an asset. Fred is like Mitt Romney, a ruthless corporate "leader" that sees only maximizing profits and none of the human fallout.

Maybe employees will start fighting back, and maybe they won't, but they're dumb if they just stand there and wait for the steamroller to take them out. It's like the scene in Austin Powers where the bad guy guard stands there for 30 seconds and just waits for the roller to run him over. He does nothing, and just awaits his fate. Dumb.

Goldilocks

If they don't really care about the practices at Walmart, why would they care about Ground? And when I say they don't care about Walmart, I mean the practices are brought to light, there's a momentary flash of outrage, maybe a couple cosmetic changes and then nothing more. In fact, an expose' on Ground would bring very mild response. Almost like people are numb to the idea that corporate America is bending them over. The real surprises are the companies that treat their people well.

I have often thought about finding another company that is young and just starting out. Fed was only 12 years old when I started.

59 Dano

What it appears you don't want is open criticism of FedEx that people outside of the company might hear about. Keep our dirty laundry out of sight.

That's the pragmatic way to go about it. Go to the NYT and tell them that Express is going to cut your hours (the generic you, not you specifically). Assuming that the NYT doesn't tell you to get in line because it is doing 100 other stories on 100 other companies doing the same thing, the average reader won't care. Some just don't. One guy won't care because he didn't lose hours, but his job entirely, because technology made him obsolete. Another guy won't care because his job got shipped to a 3rd world country. Yet another guy would care, but he's too worried about his own job. At best, Express would get a lot of apathy.

At worst, well, it gets worse. If Express is made out to be the corporate embodiment of evil, people will stop using it, which reduces volume/revenue, which reduces the need for couriers. It would not end well.

As always, anyone can do whatever he or she wants, but the best plan in the world isn't worth a penny if it's poorly executed and the best execution in the world doesn't mean anything if it's a bad plan. To whomever it may concern, have at it as you wish.

Goldilocks

That's the pragmatic way to go about it. Go to the NYT and tell them that Express is going to cut your hours (the generic you, not you specifically). Assuming that the NYT doesn't tell you to get in line because it is doing 100 other stories on 100 other companies doing the same thing, the average reader won't care. Some just don't. One guy won't care because he didn't lose hours, but his job entirely, because technology made him obsolete. Another guy won't care because his job got shipped to a 3rd world country. Yet another guy would care, but he's too worried about his own job. At best, Express would get a lot of apathy.

At worst, well, it gets worse. If Express is made out to be the corporate embodiment of evil, people will stop using it, which reduces volume/revenue, which reduces the need for couriers. It would not end well.

As always, anyone can do whatever he or she wants, but the best plan in the world isn't worth a penny if it's poorly executed and the best execution in the world doesn't mean anything if it's a bad plan. To whomever it may concern, have at it as you wish.

Nice!!

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

Slurp, suck, grovel... It's "bad" to take action because "it would not end well". BS..maybe it wouldn't end well for your Lord and Master Mr. Smith? Oh, and MT3 called. He says he's got a smudge on his Gucci's. Can you take care of that? Better get on it quick.

59 Dano

True, but times seem to be changing don't they? That's why you are on here all the time trying to prevent people from taking action.

LOL!! I couldn't keep someone here from taking action if the life of my family depended on it. The climate of this board is all talking and no walking, so I wouldn't really have to do anything anyway.

You see, Dano, people are finally waking up to the fact that they are being exploited, have been exploited, and are about to be really exploited by a company that thinks they are a cost, not an asset. Fred is like Mitt Romney, a ruthless corporate "leader" that sees only maximizing profits and none of the human fallout.

Maybe employees will start fighting back, and maybe they won't, but they're dumb if they just stand there and wait for the steamroller to take them out. It's like the scene in Austin Powers where the bad guy guard stands there for 30 seconds and just waits for the roller to run him over. He does nothing, and just awaits his fate. Dumb.

Let me know when you finally do something. You've been promising so much for so long and haven't delivered anything but movie analogies. I'm starting to doubt you.

59 Dano

Slurp, suck, grovel... It's "bad" to take action because "it would not end well". BS..maybe it wouldn't end well for your Lord and Master Mr. Smith?

Your reading comprehension is about as reliable as your big talk. It would not end well if whatever action taken caused us to lose enough volume that there would be no way to avoid cutting couriers.

Oh, and MT3 called. He says he's got a smudge on his Gucci's. Can you take care of that? Better get on it quick.

The internet: for when talking trash in person is just too scary.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Your reading comprehension is about as reliable as your big talk. It would not end well if whatever action taken caused us to lose enough volume that there would be no way to avoid cutting couriers.

The internet: for when talking trash in person is just too scary.

The biggest reason we are losing volume is the corporate decision to shift that volume over to Ground. Just admit it already. And as far as talking trash goes, I can't come to your cubicle and read you the riot act in-person, so I am forced to allude to your postion as Lackey/Grade Level 25. And being the MEM shoeshine boy/shill has it's drawbacks, doesn't it?

59 Dano

The biggest reason we are losing volume is the corporate decision to shift that volume over to Ground. Just admit it already

Ground is often cheaper than Express for comparable services and customers aren't stupid. Can't say the same for you.

. And as far as talking trash goes, I can't come to your cubicle and read you the riot act in-person, so I am forced to allude to your postion as Lackey/Grade Level 25. And being the MEM shoeshine boy/shill has it's drawbacks, doesn't it?

If you'd like to PM me, I'm SURE we could arrange a meeting and you could deliver your personal insults in person. You seem eager to do so and you talk such a big game, I'd hate to let the opportunity slip away.

Goldilocks

Ground is often cheaper than Express for comparable services and customers aren't stupid. Can't say the same for you.

If you'd like to PM me, I'm SURE we could arrange a meeting and you could deliver your personal insults in person. You seem eager to do so and you talk such a big game, I'd hate to let the opportunity slip away.

I have tried to PM MrFedex but his pm message board is full.

vantexan

If it equaled zero you wouldn't be here countering everything said. At some point down the road, in a few years at most, Express will be a fundamentally different company from what it is now. And those that remember a very different company will be less and less in time. At some point there won't be much point to be extremely angry with them, it's just take it or leave it. But we who've been affected most have every right to be angry. We worked hard in good faith only to find that our future has been greatly compromised by corporate greed. It's not about saving the company. They could have handled this better. Top people out in 10 years since after all they won't be getting overtime. Keep the traditional pension for those who were hired with that as part of their compensation. After all, if you are only getting 35-37 hrs that year won't be part of your 5 highest paid year average. So instead of transitioning us in a fair, decent way they chose to hurt us. Too bad for us, huh? As far as all talk, no action I told a director in a station meeting that what they are doing to us in mid-range is extremely unfair. He said twice that if I'm not happy why don't I leave? If the economy hadn't tanked shortly after the traditional pension was terminated I would have left. It is what it is, but it's a damn shame how it got here, and these people aren't heroes to anyone but those who are sucking on the company teat. That's both Wall Street types and those who's better pay depends on them doing what they're doing to the rest of us.

Goldilocks

If it equaled zero you wouldn't be here countering everything said. At some point down the road, in a few years at most, Express will be a fundamentally different company from what it is now. And those that remember a very different company will be less and less in time. At some point there won't be much point to be extremely angry with them, it's just take it or leave it. But we who've been affected most have every right to be angry. We worked hard in good faith only to find that our future has been greatly compromised by corporate greed. AGREE, It's not about saving the company. They could have handled this better. Top people out in 10 years since after all they won't be getting overtime. Keep the traditional pension for those who were hired with that as part of their compensation. After all, if you are only getting 35-37 hrs that year won't be part of your 5 highest paid year average. So instead of transitioning us in a fair, decent way they chose to hurt us. Too bad for us, huh? As far as all talk, no action I told a director in a station meeting that what they are doing to us in mid-range is extremely unfair. He said twice that if I'm not happy why don't I leave? That pisses me off!!! If the economy hadn't tanked shortly after the traditional pension was terminated I would have left. It is what it is, but it's a damn shame how it got here, and these people aren't heroes to anyone but those who are sucking on the company teat. That's both Wall Street types and those who's better pay depends on them doing what they're doing to the rest of us.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

Tough talk for a lackey. Keep defending Fred's actions, and you'll keep getting shot down. Gee, what happens when your Sales Department no longer sells one of your services? Volumes drop. I guess you just cannot figure that out.

vantexan

Tough talk for a lackey. Keep defending Fred's actions, and you'll keep getting shot down. Gee, what happens when your Sales Department no longer sells one of your services? Volumes drop. I guess you just cannot figure that out.

What I want to know is if Ground can deliver EXPRESS 2 day without violating the RLA exemption, what's to stop them from delivering overnight Express? Could they possibly have Express be a pickup service only, and have everything delivered by Ground? Would that satisfy legal requirements?