Good Books ( On Topic Please )

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I hate reading. I've finished maybe a handful of books in my life but the book "The South was Right" is a good read.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Th
Basically about how the civil war really had very little to do with slavery and that the south had a right to secede.
is book is right up my alley. there are always 2 or 3 sides to every story. I read the editorials about it on Amazon. The authors were castigated about it when it first came out but now with the passing of time their views are becoming more acceptable.

I like history books like this that give different perspectives of that war. ( I am originally from the Northeast ). It's true that a lot that was in our high school history books was erroneous. Now I am spending the time to learn more of the truth on American history.

A great book on that is titled " The People's History of the United States " by Howard Zinn

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
I go through different phases with my reading. Read a bunch of memoirs of Civil War soldiers. Then Tom Clancy thrillers. All of the Hitchhiker series. Somewhat eclectic mix. The last book I read was a history of breweries in Cleveland.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Tha
I go through different phases with my reading. Read a bunch of memoirs of Civil War soldiers. Then Tom Clancy thrillers. All of the Hitchhiker series. Somewhat eclectic mix. The last book I read was a history of breweries in Cleveland.
t is an eclectic bunch. I do the same as my interest are all over the map. One minute reading some history , the next reading a George Carlin book like Brain Droppings. For some reason I do not ever read one book at a time. Usually have 3-4 books going on at the same time. depends on my mood on what I pick up.

speaking of Cleveland........just read a couple months ago ."Kill The Irishman" then watched the movie and then the documentary on youtube.

one tough SOB.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
Ironically, it was shot in Detroit. Where he got blown up was in the parking lot of a suburban professional building that in no way resembled where they filmed the scene.

rod

Retired 22 years
What kind of books does she like to read? My Mom used to read about 5 books a week from the library but it was mostly fiction. I went thru a fiction phase in high school and college and for awhile was into Sci-fi.

now I find that true stuff is much more interesting.

She used to read that romance crap but now she is into mysteries and sci-fi. She belongs to two book/wine drinking clubs.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
She used to read that romance crap but now she is into mysteries and sci-fi. She belongs to two book/wine drinking clubs.
haha... is the two book/wine drinking clubs together? now those meeting minutes would be interesting reading.

Knothead

Yep.
I don't read books very often, but my mother-in-law bought me a copy of "A Land Remembered" by Patrick Smith for Christmas last year, and it was fantastic. Once I started reading it, I could not put it down. It was an excellent book and I would recommend it to anyone.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I don't read books very often, but my mother-in-law bought me a copy of "A Land Remembered" by Patrick Smith for Christmas last year, and it was fantastic. Once I started reading it, I could not put it down. It was an excellent book and I would recommend it to anyone.
Wow. looks like a "Hidden Gem ". I will check it out. thanks. looks like it would make a good movie.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
sorry about the derail---for some reason I thought I was in NF2
"no problemo" I have always enjoyed your posts. you must have a favorite book. what is it? one of mine which I read about once a year is "Travels With Charley" by John Steinbeck. true story about his trip around the United States.

dookie stain

Cornfed whiteboy
ImageUploadedByBrownCafe1473309882.963745.jpg
i also have the jay dobyns (atf agent) book where he talks about infiltrating the hells angels...that was a bad ass book

rod

Retired 22 years
"no problemo" I have always enjoyed your posts. you must have a favorite book. what is it? one of mine which I read about once a year is "Travels With Charley" by John Steinbeck. true story about his trip around the United States.

The last book I read was called Five Four Whiskey a memory of war by Robert Sweatmon. Its about life traveling on an Armored Personnel Carrier during the Vietnam war. The book pretty much could be a story of my experiences there. It brought back a lot of memories both good and bad.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
The last book I read was called Five Four Whiskey a memory of war by Robert Sweatmon. Its about life traveling on an Armored Personnel Carrier during the Vietnam war. The book pretty much could be a story of my experiences there. It brought back a lot of memories both good and bad.
I had this book on my "to read" bookshelf titled. "Letters Home From Vietnam" or something like that. it was actual letters, word for word , mainly from grunts about their lives during the war.

I didnt want to read it for over a year because I knew it would be hard. Finally read it about 6 months ago. It was heartbreaking . But that is the kind of book that everyone should read so we can someday end war.

edit; title is" Dear America, Letters Home From Vietnam"

Last edited:

BSWALKS

Fugitive From Reality
Used to love to read before bed, but haven't in a long time.
Usually I read some biker mag that catches my eye, but always get a copy of "The Horse ". Love the sories of George the Painter, and some of the bike builds.

Last book I read was probably by Steven King, or one of my wife's old trashy paperbacks by Dean Koontz.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Used to love to read before bed, but haven't in a long time.
Usually I read some biker mag that catches my eye, but always get a copy of "The Horse ". Love the sories of George the Painter, and some of the bike builds.

Last book I read was probably by Steven King, or one of my wife's old trashy paperbacks by Dean Koontz.
We have several boxes of Easyriders, Iron Horse , and Supercycle , from the 80's. wonder if they are worth anything? some of the fiction was surprisingly good.

After watching that 3 part Harley and The Davidsons on the Discovery channel last night , looking forward watching that new show Steel Bikes.