Good bye to the Friday after Thanksgiving

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
They can operate all they want on Friday after Thanksgiving, doesn't mean we have to work.

Now, if one does choose to work, we better as an Union make darn sure it's not 12 hours plus crammed down out throats like Xmas eve was last year.

Ron Carey lives on

MLK should be a paid holiday. The day after Thanksgiving is forced from bottom up at doubletime or volunteer s by seniority. That language must be proposed in 710 contract?

Sent using BrownCafe App

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
We have in the contract how many holidays we are to be paid this year. UPS could not change that part.

Unless you are in a massive retail area, it will be an easy day with most businesses schools, colleges closed. My heaviest daily pickup is always open that day so they will be happy and the only wrinkle that I foresee is if helpers will still be used.

All in all, that bulked-out Monday we've been used to the past few years after the 4 day weekend should be relieved.

iowa boy

You have to wonder if UPS will change this to a non holiday to avoid paying all of us two or three times our normal wages to work?

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
Looks like we can add this to the long list of things these bastids have taken from us. I wonder if Scotty boy will be in his browns to help out as needed.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
You have to wonder if UPS will change this to a non holiday to avoid paying all of us two or three times our normal wages to work?
I'm sure it will be talked about in 2018, until then they pay what your supplement says, Article 60 section 4 for those blessed by god to be in the southern supplement. Also article 64 should be used if you don't want to work that day and they have lower guys available.

oldngray

nowhere special
Just to clarify, it appears this has nothing to do with negotiations. UPS has unilaterally decided to make that holiday a full ground operation day. It has ALWAYS been an operating day, but it has in the past been an air only special operating day. So, in a center with say 60 daily routes, you would see around 15-20 routes sent out with air deliveries only and air pickups for UPS stores, letter boxes, and special requests. The top seniority drivers would be offered the 15-20 spots, then the bottom seniority would be forced in to fill whatever was not met. Those who came in would get whatever working holiday rate is in their supplement, plus the day of holiday pay that everyone gets. Now, UPS is saying it will be a full operating special operating day. All the same rule apply except that the number needed will be closer to the full 60.
Good news for the lower senior guys who wanted the extra work in centers where higher senior drivers usually come in, bad news for the middle seniority guys who do not want the work in other centers.

Incorrect. A long time ago it was a normal working day for UPS with normal ground deliveries. It was changed to a negotiated paid holiday because UPS was wasting money trying to deliver on a day when almost all businesses were closed. It was later changed again to have air delivery on that day.

jaker

trolling
I waited 10 years so I wouldn't have to work and wouldn't you know it I finally get enough people under me and now it's a regular work day

Oh well guess I will be sick that day

opie

I wonder if this will affect PT inside employees. I figure since UPS is making it a regular operating day, that they will run the regular sort(s).

Griff

Really doesn't come as any surprise. The company does whatever they damn well please. Look at the last 2 contracts. They have completely revamped the union culture in most buildings. They forced most of the older drivers out and now they have the young runners who are thrilled to make $15 an hour for four years. In a few years we will be delivering on Sunday just like the post office started doing.

Sent using BrownCafe App