Good bye to the Friday after Thanksgiving

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
Where were you last year?

I assumed it was just a one time thing not an every year thing now. Then I realized I shouldn't assume things with ups because they do things backwards. Some reason they think it is a good idea to work the day after thanksgiving. They didn't gain or achieve anything last year from it. All you have to do is check their 4th quarter results. They got all these charts and projections from it and they still can't things right.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Looks like its probably going to go "back to normal" (or close to it) for package then. The volume was definitely there in the hubs, from what I saw last year. (300k+ on the sort that night last year and an almost 8 hour day for the PT'ers on a single shift).

Anybody foresee UPS wanting the Central Region to give up the day after Thanksgiving as a holiday in trade for keeping the pension offset clause in the contract in 2018?

upschuck

Anybody foresee UPS wanting the Central Region to give up the day after Thanksgiving as a holiday in trade for keeping the pension offset clause in the contract in 2018?
I would maybe go for that only if it is in there if that is permanent and could never be taken out. None of this contract by contract crap.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
That day is already gone.......... trade, or no trade.

I disagree. The day off for the holiday is already gone, but the double time for the day is not.

UPS would have to give us something good for us to vote to end double time for that day. They cannot just take it away. It has to be bargained.

Unless the union just gives it to them without a fight or without getting something major in return.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I disagree. The day off for the holiday is already gone, but the double time for the day is not.

UPS would have to give us something good for us to vote to end double time for that day. They cannot just take it away. It has to be bargained.

Unless the union just gives it to them without a fight or without getting something major in return.

Enjoy the extra pay now as it will be gone in 2018 with nothing offered to replace it.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Enjoy the extra pay now as it will be gone in 2018 with nothing offered to replace it.

If you can see into the future, why are you still working here? You should be retired with billions from lottery winnings.

I know you do not support the union and the contract, but this issue would have to be negotiated out of the contract in 2018.

UPS cannot just take it away. The contract is voted on.

Most of us in the Central will not just give it away without getting something in return. It is called bargaining.

Bottom rung

I would maybe go for that only if it is in there if that is permanent and could never be taken out. None of this contract by contract crap.
There's no way the pension offset is staying. It's over for cs. I hate to say it but there's no way the company will do anything for them. They paid their liabilities to the fund in full. They'll tell the media...."we gave cs the money" not our fault...

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
There's no way the pension offset is staying. It's over for cs. I hate to say it but there's no way the company will do anything for them. They paid their liabilities to the fund in full. They'll tell the media...."we gave cs the money" not our fault...

No. Here's what they are going to have to tell the media. If they don't, we will.

In order to exit from the CSPF, we agreed to the following 3 things:

1. We paid our withdrawal liability to the CSPF.

2. We set up our own pension fund for our employees.

3. We promised to make up any reduction in the CSPF for our current employees who may be collecting from that fund.

This statement was put out by UPS shortly after the law was enacted and the sole reason they got the carve-out from Congress in this law.

So now, they would have to tell the media that they changed their minds and are going to screw their employees and not make up any cuts.

The media was on our side in 97 during the strike. This would be a strike issue and the media will again be on our side.

Big Corporate America screwing their employees. America is tired of these big corporations. They will back us 100% during a strike over this issue.

Bottom rung

I'm with you on that mugarolla. I think that if ups has the opportunity to get it out of the contract, they'll do it. There's a new crisis every fifteen minutes. We'd be the news for fifteen and then on to the next crisis. I hope they keep their end of the bargain, but I'm not holding my breath. These guys would sell their soul for a raise. You and I both know they'd dump the pension guarantee given half the chance.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I'm with you on that mugarolla. I think that if ups has the opportunity to get it out of the contract, they'll do it. There's a new crisis every fifteen minutes. We'd be the news for fifteen and then on to the next crisis. I hope they keep their end of the bargain, but I'm not holding my breath. These guys would sell their soul for a raise. You and I both know they'd dump the pension guarantee given half the chance.

Yes they would.

And it is up to the union and us employees in the Central Region to make sure that it does not happen.

It is in the contract now, so that means it has to be negotiated out of it. We cannot let that happen, even if it means striking in the Central to protect our futures.

No1 Special

Long time listener, first time caller.
This still a thing? Black friday no holiday pay? also if you are put in as layoff before or after holiday will you get thanksgiving pay?
Did everyone get their UPS turkey today? Rumor in our building, was that we were the only local, in the country to get turkeys in the last contract.