Good bye to the Friday after Thanksgiving

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Our local supplement has that day as a holiday (177), so no worries here.
Doesn't mean you won't work it. Just means you will get holiday pay.

I don't see this making much difference for Monday. If we make pick ups on Friday it could be even heavier on Monday. This was a huge day for me personally. I'm 4+ hours away from family and often don't get to spend Xmas with them. That 4 day weekend was huge because it meant I could always spend at least that one holiday with my parents.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

Just like with other holidays we work - eg Good Friday, MLK day, etc.-UPS will have us ask who is open for pickups and deliveries, so our cars should be relatively empty that day. IOW, we shouldn't be toting around cars full of closures.

In my local we get paid double time plus holiday pay. Therefore, I motion that we name this day "UPS 'K' Day", because that's about how much you'll make with a full day in a center like mine.

Will anyone 2nd my motion?

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Where do you see double time?

Its time and a half all day, there will be no 8 hours paid holiday.

TOS.
Because the day after Thanksgiving is a traditional UPS holiday, employees who work this day will be compensated based on current salary administration guidelines or at their supplemental holiday rate.

Read more: http://www.browncafe.com/community/...fter-thanksgiving.356376/page-2#ixzz32IJo6hZD

In southern supplement we are paid 8hrs holiday, double time for time worked, and guaranteed 8 if so desired. Article 60 section 4 for those covered under it.

Last edited:

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
I think UPS just notified you that, in addition to saving a Sick Day for the Saturday before Christmas, you need to save another for the Friday after Thanksgiving and make sure your attendance is pretty good leading up to those days.

Thanks again, Article 40.

rrenkin

Honestly...Anyone who believes the mindless drivel that you post needs their head examined.
The day after Thanksgiving remains a holiday and is paid the same as it always has.
that's what the PCM was this morning.so i would like to thank all the yes voters for the contract.ups will take everything they can from us for the 70cent an hour you wanted

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Our union is absolutely spineless.
Do you know how to read? Did you read the comments in this thread?

There is nothing the union can do about it. As my BA has said many many times. We can't tell them how to run their operation. The union is there to make sure you're fairly compensated and not harassed.

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
that's what the PCM was this morning.so i would like to thank all the yes voters for the contract.ups will take everything they can from us for the 70cent an hour you wanted

Article 40 came about in the late 80's, so that is who you want to thank.

Bottom rung

Do you know how to read? Did you read the comments in this thread?

There is nothing the union can do about it. As my BA has said many many times. We can't tell them how to run their operation. The union is there to make sure you're fairly compensated and not harassed.
Fairly compensated...just ask the drivers in progression before the contract was ratified who just got the shaft by the union. I'm sure they think it's fair.

Sent using BrownCafe App

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
As has been stated ups could make us work all the holidays they want. What's in the contract is how we will be paid for those days.

The supplements have always provided, what the "premium" would be....

There is only 1 major Holiday, the company cannot require employee's to work....

Without further negotiation with the IBT.

Anyone know ?

Bueller ??

-Bug-

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
On UPSers.com, click my workspace tab, corporate PCMs, then click "Friday after Thanksgiving Operations (as soon as possible)" :

{{Text edited out by cheryl. Please don't copy and paste text copied from upsers.com.}}

1) Our contract does not set which days UPS will be open for business, which days ground is delivered, or which holidays we get off. Our contract(s) only list which days are designated holidays and how we shall be paid for them and how we shall be paid if we work on the holiday. Our contract has provisions for us being paid to work on any holiday.
2) The company is not required to bargain with the union on which days we will be open for business.

Here it the Central it does, or at least it did. No mention of this is the 2013-2018 Central Region Supplement.

Article 15 Section 1

A regular seniority employee shall not be required to work on

the following eight (8) named holidays-New Year’s Day,

Memorial Day, Fourth of July, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day,

day after Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day and New Year’s

Eve-regardless of the day of the week on which the named

holiday falls, provided they comply with the qualifications set

forth hereinafter.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Labor Day?

We have a winner.

Here it the Central it does, or at least it did. No mention of this is the 2013-2018 Central Region Supplement.

Article 15 Section 1

A regular seniority employee shall not be required to work on

the following eight (8) named holidays-New Year’s Day,

Memorial Day, Fourth of July, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day,

day after Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day and New Year’s

Eve-regardless of the day of the week on which the named

holiday falls, provided they comply with the qualifications set

forth hereinafter.

Now read Article 15 Section 4.

And get back to me.

-Bug-

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
We have a winner.

Now read Article 15 Section 4.

And get back to me.

-Bug-

Yes, I know. Section 4 contradicts Section 1. Section 1 says employees shall not be required to work... Section 4 says employees required to work on the above named holidays shall receive double time.

Which is it? Typical contract mumbo jumbo.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
All the small details have not been worked out. A lot of planning still to do.

The holiday is not canceled.

You will be compensated.

You can expect 75% of your routes to be in (my guess). Retailers and others want a pickup on that day. Center phone rings off the hook with customers asking when are we making the pick up.

It will make dispatch easier on that particular day.

If you have enough seniority you might get the day off, bottom guys better plan on working.