Good bye to the Friday after Thanksgiving

10 point

Maybe the air drivers will get the day off now. Unless they're forced to deliver ground and get drivers wages due to call offs.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
What if the union got everyone to work that day? They would have to lay off the bottom and give them other work. Problem is, they might not be running the hub.
As long as they gave notice the day before they could then "layoff" as many people as they need without them being able to file for unemployment because they are still receiving 8 hours holiday pay for the day.

phester7

hey i have a ?...i have worked inside hub for four yrs. i just started driving. my ? is if i make book do i keep my vactions i already have because next april ill have 3 weeks vacs. or do i lose it and start over again

Way back in pre-history when I started, we worked the Friday after Thanksgiving. We also got our birthday off. Sometime in the early 80's, we lost our birthday and in exchange got that Friday.

I was lucky, because early on there were enough drivers wanting to work (and later I had enough seniority) that I never again worked that day.
Was Casey your jumper?

bumped

All the small details have not been worked out. A lot of planning still to do.

The holiday is not canceled.

You will be compensated.

You can expect 75% of your routes to be in (my guess). Retailers and others want a pickup on that day. Center phone rings off the hook with customers asking when are we making the pick up.

It will make dispatch easier on that particular day.

If you have enough seniority you might get the day off, bottom guys better plan on working.

I don't believe this for a second. Are there some businesses asking for a pick up, yes, a one or two package shipper. And, then they want an earlier pickup time because they close early. The larger shippers on pickup accounts are closed that day anyway. Large retail businesses sure don't want deliveries on their busiest day of the year. Its always a cluster holding out all the closed businesses on a holiday. The Monday after is not that bad of a day. I have very little air, so I'm able to get right into trace.

What are the odds that UPS will use helpers that day also, so they can load up the routes they do run. The helpers I'm sure will just get paid straight time.

30 to life

hey i have a ?...i have worked inside hub for four yrs. i just started driving. my ? is if i make book do i keep my vactions i already have because next april ill have 3 weeks vacs. or do i lose it and start over again
You keep what you got you might have to pick vacation next year with the driver's

10 point

I always vote no
OK. I'll say it.

The job I had right before ups hired me paid $9.95/hr and overtime was after 40 hrs. We got a 5¢ raise every year. Insurance was not part of the deal.
Looking back at how happy I was to work at ups the first few years reminds me of the huge chasm between many and most jobs still in the blue collar market and full-time wages at ups.
The only reason I am able to give up working black Friday is because I make plenty of money prior to working that day.
If I was still making $10 to $20 per hr I would jump at making triple ups ft wages on one day. Heck, I pay more in taxes per paycheck now than I made in a week at that old job.

Sometimes, I have to readjust my attitude by remembering where I came from and be thankful for a job (that we all break our backs to keep prosperous) like few others in the USA.

bumped

We all whine that the company fails every peak. Now we can whine about the plans being made to avoid failing again.

We fail at peak because

We don't have enough drivers
We don't have enough package cars
We don't have enough helpers

Same story every year. We're short...

Our center had to get rentals last month because of late air. In April, not enough cars.

bumped

We WORK for UPS for a living. Not the union.

We are compensated fairly, contractually, and by all accounts the union makes sure of this. There's a price to be paid for being a top earner, be it unloading trailers for 6 years, waiting 4 years for top rate, or working on Black Friday. CHRIST 40% of the employees work that day anyways.

Some consequences for a full day of work will be :

1) That some businesses who usually close because of non-pickups by us will stay open. Now those businesses will run meaning other employees who are used to the day off will be working.
2) Now Fed-Ex will match us so they won't lose important holiday volume from us.
3) Possible mass callouts because of family commitments.
4) Union may not ok helpers so most drivers will be required to work regardless of family commitments

Being forced to work on a holiday will pay BIG on that paycheck.

What makes you think UPS is going to ask the union if they can use helpers?