Good Grief

SmithBarney

I eat the food too, but be very careful around the fresh baked goodies...
rumor has it, "someone" will bring some in, and there will be a little naughty baked in.
and next week random drug tests for everyone.. That's the October surprise!

LTFedExer

Well there you have it. Someone working Fred's plantation on a part-time basis is 30% better off than collecting welfare, eating on foodstamps and on Medicaid.

I wonder though, how about one of Fred's stepchildren working full-time with a family making $500 a week - how far above poverty is that?

$25,000/yr with no benefits for say a family of 3???

What's the poverty line for them?

Does Medicare kick in?

Who pays for that?

Is there really such a thing as low cost labor with no one else paying for it? (with the taxes I'm paying now, I'm sure as hell paying for it).

Or does Fred do what is so common place nowadays and do some "cost shifting" to someone else willing to take up the slack?
Starting pay here is around $15.50, I believe. I know of no Express employee with no benefits. If we're talking Ground, I'll hush. I have no clue whether FEDEX GROUND employees have benefits or not.
Looked it up. HHS sets the poverty level for 1 person at $11170 in the contiguous 48 states.
True
Don't know what payscale you are looking at but for the lowest payscale I think, but not sure, that starting pay is $14.46hr. $14.46 X 17.5(part-time minimum) X 52 weeks(no vacation first year) minus taxes, minus health care, equals ?. I'm assuming $11170 is take-home.
I assumed gross. The Census Bureau, which sets the number, uses before taxes.
So let me ask? If a fellow is above the poverty rate, say making $19k a year, does he have a quality life? If you have a job that makes absolutely no demands on you but only pays $19k a year and you are content with that more power to you. A job that has you running constantly, dealing with the public, dealing with traffic, dealing with weather, being constantly psychologically prodded by mgmt, making constant demands on your free time and holidays, should pay considerably more. That it pays a PTer a bit above the poverty line is nothing to be proud of.
So let's see. You apply for a PT position making (using your number) $19K/year with health benefits, sick days and vacation time. You get the position and then complain you don't make enough? Did I understand your post correctly?

Ricochet1a

I have no clue whether FEDEX GROUND employees have benefits or not.

The drivers who drive Ground trucks don't have any benefits (unless their "employer" pays for them out of his/her expected earnings) and make between $450 a week and about $800 a week in a few areas.

"Fred's Stepchildren" are the drivers of Ground. They aren't really "his" drivers, but they wear his uniforms and deliver his volume. They are barely 30% above poverty level (at $500 wk) if they are married with a kid - and they work full time.

bbsam

Staff member
The drivers who drive Ground trucks don't have any benefits (unless their "employer" pays for them out of his/her expected earnings) and make between $450 a week and about $800 a week in a few areas.

"Fred's Stepchildren" are the drivers of Ground. They aren't really "his" drivers, but they wear his uniforms and deliver his volume. They are barely 30% above poverty level (at $500 wk) if they are married with a kid - and they work full time.
So...I take it you have something better to offer? Maybe a President Romney with Fred S Secretary of Labor?

Bailey4

Good Grief sounds nieve.....just like many of the employees I work with. I have a feeling ..all their eyes will be wide open in the next 5 years or so. Sounds like nothing bad has happened to Good Grief yet so like many people .....no harm no foul in Good Grief's eyes. Some people are not affected as long as it is not happening to them.... at the moment.. and not sharp enough to see down the road. The house cleaning is just beginning so everyone is jumpy but they have yet to see the plan unfold. I cant blame Fedex 4 Life if he has an outside business to fall back on because he his getting a good deal on health insurance versus paying for it himself. However, he will have a bigger target on his back due to his pay grade I think. I guess time will tell.

vantexan

Starting pay here is around $15.50, I believe. I know of no Express employee with no benefits. If we're talking Ground, I'll hush. I have no clue whether FEDEX GROUND employees have benefits or not.

True

I assumed gross. The Census Bureau, which sets the number, uses before taxes.

So let's see. You apply for a PT position making (using your number) $19K/year with health benefits, sick days and vacation time. You get the position and then complain you don't make enough? Did I understand your post correctly?

Nope, I'm talking any job. Is $19k enough for a quality life?

DorkHead

These people bragging about how they don't eat any of the food at the free BBQs FedEx gives them sounds like angry people in general to me.That's my opinion.Or when someone says:

While he gets 75% off on a far superior product.They sound like they have more than just FedEx issues to me.

You are such a TROLL

DorkHead

Hello all, I stumbled across this forum surfing the net for FedEx buyout rumors. Well, I found them. I have never seen so many unhappy FedEx employees in my many years of service at FedEx. I have been lurking for a few weeks now, and just have to ask. If you all (or most) here are so freaking unhappy, why don't you just leave and find another job? I consider myself lucky to even be employed. I don't want to stir up trouble, it just blows my mind reading some of the stuff on here. I know I am about to get slammed, but that's ok.....I am a big girl, I can take it...so fire away :peaceful:

With that mindset, you are the company`s perfect employee. Won`t make waves. Others here want to be recognized for their hard work and effort, not have benefits stripped from them while doing more and more. Most here would say at one time they were proud to work for this company......not any more.

LTFedExer

Right...but FedEx employees get benefits.
Nope, I'm talking any job. Is $19k enough for a quality life?
$19K is not a lot of money until you have no job. Besides, that's PT and you also get benefits and the opportunity to go FT.

vantexan

$19K is not a lot of money until you have no job. Besides, that's PT and you also get benefits and the opportunity to go FT.

I'm talking about any job, not just FedEx. But concerning FedEx, looks pretty soon that one might land a PT job but have little chance to go FT, except maybe as a swing. That may be fine for some folks, but most people I've known are looking for a FT job that'll allow them to buy a house, buy a car they actually want, raise kids, educate them, have a few nice things, take a few vacations, and retire with some semblance of dignity. Guess they'll just have to do without. It's enough to know that their bosses will have enough to do that and then some. For generations.

SmithBarney

We don't "GET" benefits, we get the opportunity to "PURCHASE" benefits.

Take a look at Anthem, or Cigna's regular website, you can purchase nearly the identical plans for the same or less money than FedEx charges. Of course the exact same plan isn't available, otherwise folks would be able to tell how much we are getting screwed.

DontThrowPackages

Well there you have it. Someone working Fred's plantation on a part-time basis is 30% better off than collecting welfare, eating on foodstamps and on Medicaid.

I wonder though, how about one of Fred's stepchildren working full-time with a family making $500 a week - how far above poverty is that?

$25,000
/yr with no benefits for say a family of 3???

What's the poverty line for them?

Does Medicare kick in?

Who pays for that?

Is there really such a thing as low cost labor with no one else paying for it? (with the taxes I'm paying now, I'm sure as hell paying for it).

Or does Fred do what is so common place nowadays and do some "cost shifting" to someone else willing to take up the slack?

Is that before taxes or after??

Ricochet1a

Is that before taxes or after??

A Ground helper driver, making $500 a week (presumably getting two weeks off unpaid), will gross $25,000 a year BEFORE taxes. If that individual is married with a child (family of three), they will pay virtually nothing in Federal taxes, more likely than not will be eligible for EIC payment on their return, may be eligible for foodstamps (depending on what assets they hold free and clear), and would be very good candidates for some form of Medicaid.

Someone pays for all of these "supplementals" to keep this family out of poverty. Fred S CERTAINLY isn't paying it - the taxpayers of this country are subsidizing Fred's business model of "cost-shifting" from FedEx Corp, to US of A Inc.

jmeti000

A Ground helper driver, making $500 a week (presumably getting two weeks off unpaid), will gross $25,000 a year BEFORE taxes. If that individual is married with a child (family of three), they will pay virtually nothing in Federal taxes, more likely than not will be eligible for EIC payment on their return, may be eligible for foodstamps (depending on what assets they hold free and clear), and would be very good candidates for some form of Medicaid.

Because thats every Americans dream...to work a full time job and still not make enough to feed your family or pay for medical, not pay any taxes and leach off the gov., and never have enough to enjoy the fruits of your labor because your barely scraping by.