Good news from the NLRB

hypocrisy

Banned
Labor board approves new rules to speed up union elections by reducing delays and litigation

By Associated Press, Wednesday, December 21, 11:29 AM

WASHINGTON — In a win for organized labor, the National Labor Relations Board on Wednesday approved sweeping new rules that would speed the pace of union elections, possibly making it easier for unions to gain members at companies that have long rebuffed them.
Business groups quickly denounced the move, saying it limits the time that employers have to educate workers about the impact of joining a union. The U.S. Chamber of Commerce has already filed a federal lawsuit challenging the rules.

The rules, which take effect April 30, simplify procedures and reduce legal delays that can hold up union elections after employees at a work site gather enough signatures to form a union.

“This rule is about giving all employees who have petitioned for an election the right to vote in a timely manner and without the impediment of needless litigation,” board chairman Mark Pearce said.

Last edited by a moderator:

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Why? UPS still makes huge profits regardless of what other companies do.

Not about profit ... it's about maintaining jobs and wages.

Every year our margins are squeezed on Ground deliveries and most of our drivers spend the majority of their time delivering and picking up Ground.

Premium services, International services and Logistics is where UPS makes most its profits these days.

hypocrisy

Banned
Be careful about falling into the trap of thinking that the way things are is the way they will always be.

Union workers like us generally make 30% more than non-union workers in the same industry.
Taken another way, that means labor at non-union companies like Fedex is 30% cheaper.
While there isn't a current 30% price gap between the two services this may not always be.
To ensure a better future for us at UPS it is in our best interest to unionize our competitors to narrow this gap (and at the same time bring them up to our standards of wages and benefits).

Everyone should help by talking about their excellent wages and benefits they enjoy because of the Teamsters negotiating efforts at UPS whenever interacting with non-union workers such as Fedex employees. That simple act can make the difference in how someone perceives a Union vs. Non-Union workplace. Don't say "UPS gives me a great pension" but instead say "The Teamsters negotiated us an excellent pension."

bbsam

Staff member
In your best interest to unionize.... Would you offer to pick up that tab? Since it is in your best interest, that is.

hypocrisy

Banned
I guess I'm not following you. I personally donate quite a bit of my time helping organize other companies as well as internal organizing, so in a way I am picking up some of the tab.