Google robot is 'the end of manual labor': VC

Returntosender

Boston Dynamics' new "Atlas" robot is a game changer, not just for companies, but for society, Insider.com CEO Jason Calacanis said Wednesday.

"This is really the end of manual labor. When you watch this video, he's walking through the snow; he's wobbly, but he gets back up," the tech investor told CNBC's "Squawk Alley."

"Manual labor is going to end in our lifetime, and in this video you can see how close we really are. It's a huge societal issue with jobs, but it's going to be a huge lift in terms of efficiency of companies that nobody expected."

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/02/24/google-robot-is-the-end-of-manual-labor-vc.html

Orion inc.

I like turtles
Boston Dynamics' new "Atlas" robot is a game changer, not just for companies, but for society, Insider.com CEO Jason Calacanis said Wednesday.

"This is really the end of manual labor. When you watch this video, he's walking through the snow; he's wobbly, but he gets back up," the tech investor told CNBC's "Squawk Alley."

"Manual labor is going to end in our lifetime, and in this video you can see how close we really are. It's a huge societal issue with jobs, but it's going to be a huge lift in terms of efficiency of companies that nobody expected."

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/02/24/google-robot-is-the-end-of-manual-labor-vc.html
Well then 70%?of the population won't have income or jobs. Then who's going to buy anything these companies sell?

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
Well then 70%?of the population won't have income or jobs. Then who's going to buy anything these companies sell?

This is actually a very serious discussion our society is going to have to have in the next 25 years or so as automation really cranks up. At that point, we're going to have to consider a basic guaranteed yearly income for people.

UPS "probably" won't be able to automate package delivery while you (or even me) are still working. But it's going to eventually happen.

clean hairy

Suppose the day comes when these things are loading at UPS.
How will it react when a Sup mentions it had 6 misloads the day before, and the pph are low, and it better speed up?
It might just stare at the Sup and say "that does not compute!" or, "while you were babbling, I could have loaded 16.8 boxes, are you done spewing senseless human nonsense?"

Orion inc.

I like turtles
This is actually a very serious discussion our society is going to have to have in the next 25 years or so as automation really cranks up. At that point, we're going to have to consider a basic guaranteed yearly income for people.

UPS "probably" won't be able to automate package delivery while you (or even me) are still working. But it's going to eventually happen.
I was thinking the same. The R and D for this is in the billions. By the time they get the technology stable, the per piece cost of one robot unit could be astronomical. It'll only look attractive to ups and others when the robot AI technology is "affordable ".

Kind of like when cell phone technology or computers came out. The costs were crazy but then 20-30 years later, it's cheap. That's my guess of how this plays out.

I'm betting a new driver starting now has 35 years before this technology becomes affordable.

They will be the last generation of human labor

Big Arrow Down...D

Leave the gun,take the cannoli
What's he going to do 5 stops an hour?
image.gif

Yes...

Faceplanted

I was thinking the same. The R and D for this is in the billions. By the time they get the technology stable, the per piece cost of one robot unit could be astronomical. It'll only look attractive to ups and others when the robot AI technology is "affordable ".

Kind of like when cell phone technology or computers came out. The costs were crazy but then 20-30 years later, it's cheap. That's my guess of how this plays out.

I'm betting a new driver starting now has 35 years before this technology becomes affordable.

They will be the last generation of human labor
Exactly what I said In the other thread and everybody thinks I'm a nut. No need for humans in another 20 or so years at ups. maybe to ride shot gun in the "older" pcs to walk packages to the door with the truck using self driving technology

Orion inc.

I like turtles
Exactly what I said In the other thread and everybody thinks I'm a nut. No need for humans in another 20 or so years at ups. maybe to ride shot gun in the "older" pcs to walk packages to the door with the truck using self driving technology
I'm thinking that'll happen in 30 or so years. Not 20.

clean hairy

Teamster Thug!
Not following methods!
"grip and pick up box on opposite corners"
What will keep a person from trippng the robot and stealing the box?
The robot is going to chase after the person and beat them up for stealing the box?
The robot will be fired, zero tolerance for workplace violence!

PT Car Washer

Not following methods!
"grip and pick up box on opposite corners"
What will keep a person from trippng the robot and stealing the box?
The robot is going to chase after the person and beat them up for stealing the box?
The robot will be fired, zero tolerance for workplace violence!
Robot will record the thief in HD and turn the pics over to law enforcement.