GOP Wants To Raise FT Status to 40 Hrs

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I wonder what type of CEO would back this kind of plan, or throw money at Republicans to try and "make it so"? My guess would be Frederick W. Smith, who could then deny the majority of his workforce any healthcare whatsoever. This is how Republicans think, and their supporters are dumb enough to follow along, even if it hurts them tremendously on a personal level.

So, how about it, van and Sniper? How do you defend this kind of gamesmanship that will destroy the "little guy" and hugely benefit the 1%? This would be a corporate giveaway, plain and simple. Where is the integrity in a proposal like this? Frederick must be rubbing his greedy little palms raw over the prospect of this ever becoming law.

vantexan

I wonder what type of CEO would back this kind of plan, or throw money at Republicans to try and "make it so"? My guess would be Frederick W. Smith, who could then deny the majority of his workforce any healthcare whatsoever. This is how Republicans think, and their supporters are dumb enough to follow along, even if it hurts them tremendously on a personal level.

So, how about it, van and Sniper? How do you defend this kind of gamesmanship that will destroy the "little guy" and hugely benefit the 1%? This would be a corporate giveaway, plain and simple. Where is the integrity in a proposal like this? Frederick must be rubbing his greedy little palms raw over the prospect of this ever becoming law.

Hadn't heard this, but under Obamacare companies with 50 employees or more with at least some fulltimers must provide acceptable insurance. This has already caused many companies to push people to part-time status to avoid this. That hurts the worker as part-time legally is under 30 hrs a week. The proposal would help people to work up to just under 40 hrs a week. However I can see FedEx getting rid of it's 35 hr guarantee under this for Express, and yes, it would in effect eliminate the employer mandate. FedEx employees would end up on Obamacare most likely. The thing is, the Republicans can propose, but if the Senate doesn't go along with the House, and the President vetoes it if they do, it won't happen. However if they do go along and the Prez signs it into law then once again you'll have been sold out by your favorite party.

!Retired!

From DOL's website:
How many hours is full-time employment? How many hours is part-time employment?

The Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) does not define full-time employment or part-time employment. This is a matter generally to be determined by the employer. Whether an employee is considered full-time or part-time does not change the application of the FLSA.

vantexan

From DOL's website:

The Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) does not define full-time employment or part-time employment. This is a matter generally to be determined by the employer. Whether an employee is considered full-time or part-time does not change the application of the FLSA.

Every state job bank I've ever looked at defined FT as 30 hours or more. It may vary state to state.

DontThrowPackages

Reminds me, not too long ago, when Paul Ryan had the great ideal of wanting eliminate overtime pay. Gee, I wonder who would benefit from that law? These guys don't care about blue collar people. Why some people freely vote against their best interest so that those with so much can have even more, I will never understand. The GOP prove time after time, they are here only for the corporate types. Imagine a baseball player who spent 10 years in the minors and just getting cut from single A crying, not for being cut, because his parents and their friends favorite multimillion dollar player lost his starting position? I can say the same for Steven Spielberg vote democrat but he doesn't seen nowhere near delusional.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
From DOL's website:

This is for the purposes of the ACA, but it might also affect the FLSA as well.

TUT

This has already caused many companies to push people to part-time status to avoid this.

Right, laws that try to help, then get twisted by business to make them worse than what was previously had (which was crap and really needed addressing), twist it totally out of the spirit of the plan, right back into another loophole. Companies have been abusing the part time loopholes for at least a decade now, as once an employee goes over a time... other beni's kick in, so what happens? Everyone becomes PT. Perhaps the law one day will say if you hire an employee, no matter hours... they are all equal in terms of what perks they receive. Or another blanketing law called "In the spirit of the law", so every future creative loophole gets shot down, when it easily goes against the spirit of the law it is bending.

I believe there was a law that Bush passed to "protect the middle-class" because of what Enron did. I believe your company used that new law to state they could not guarantee funding of your pension, so in lieu of that... They dropped a better pension for a lesser one, total win for your company, blame the law, move on. Same type of thing and it happens under both parties as we can see here. Both laws and parties in this case tried to help/protect the working class, but business twisted it another way to give them an out and blame the law. That is what I'm seeing, you almost don't even want any new laws because it gives the companies a reason to re-review their policies, correct them to their advantage and yes then blame the new law, the opposite of the spirit of that law.

vantexan

Right, laws that try to help, then get twisted by business to make them worse than what was previously had (which was crap and really needed addressing), twist it totally out of the spirit of the plan, right back into another loophole. Companies have been abusing the part time loopholes for at least a decade now, as once an employee goes over a time... other beni's kick in, so what happens? Everyone becomes PT. Perhaps the law one day will say if you hire an employee, no matter hours... they are all equal in terms of what perks they receive. Or another blanketing law called "In the spirit of the law", so every future creative loophole gets shot down, when it easily goes against the spirit of the law it is bending.

I believe there was a law that Bush passed to "protect the middle-class" because of what Enron did. I believe your company used that new law to state they could not guarantee funding of your pension, so in lieu of that... They dropped a better pension for a lesser one, total win for your company, blame the law, move on. Same type of thing and it happens under both parties as we can see here. Both laws and parties in this case tried to help/protect the working class, but business twisted it another way to give them an out and blame the law. That is what I'm seeing, you almost don't even want any new laws because it gives the companies a reason to re-review their policies, correct them to their advantage and yes then blame the new law, the opposite of the spirit of that law.

Companies have been using lawyers and lobbyists forever to find loopholes and get favorable legislation. FedEx more so than most. How do I know that? Because they're the company that bought naming rights and other perks with the Washington Redskins stadium. No doubt they are wining and dining Congressmen in luxury boxes. Along with flying them around.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Companies have been using lawyers and lobbyists forever to find loopholes and get favorable legislation. FedEx more so than most. How do I know that? Because they're the company that bought naming rights and other perks with the Washington Redskins stadium. No doubt they are wining and dining Congressmen in luxury boxes. Along with flying them around.

FedEx Airlines is a tremendously costly enterprise. It's amazing that while we're perpetually "broke", Fred still finds hundreds of millions of dollars every year to finance a private executive jet airline for politicians. It's very difficult to trace the movement of private jets, which works in the favor of Fred and his political pals. So, if Congressman X wants to take his girlfriend to Aspen and leave the wife at home with the kids, there will be no record of it, and all the Congressman has to "pay" is a nominal fee, which Fred probably takes care of for them. It's well-known that FedEx lobbyists accompany these politicians on such flights. Wonder why?

!Retired!

This is no different than the other 24 stadiums that have a company's name on it. Does it help with sales? I wouldn't know......I'm just a courier.

vantexan

FedEx Airlines is a tremendously costly enterprise. It's amazing that while we're perpetually "broke", Fred still finds hundreds of millions of dollars every year to finance a private executive jet airline for politicians. It's very difficult to trace the movement of private jets, which works in the favor of Fred and his political pals. So, if Congressman X wants to take his girlfriend to Aspen and leave the wife at home with the kids, there will be no record of it, and all the Congressman has to "pay" is a nominal fee, which Fred probably takes care of for them. It's well-known that FedEx lobbyists accompany these politicians on such flights. Wonder why?

They still have to file flight plans. Those jets aren't just doing their own thing. And Congressmen can get in big trouble taking gifts or services. There has to be an official reason to take a trip and if Congressmen take too many "fact finding" trips there are watchdog groups that will alert the press. Of course if a "Congressional aid" accompanying the politician happens to be his girlfriend there's not much chance it'll be found out unless he's stupid about it like Gary Hart.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
That was back in 1998. FedEx was a different company back then.

Very much so. However, for a company that is broke, we still have the FedEx Cup, NASCAR and probably college football bowl sponsorship again this year. ROI? Not sure if it pencils-out. My point was (and always is) that FedEx is out to screw us whenever possible, whether through legislation advantageous to FedEx, lousy self-insurance plans, or reduced hours, market levels, and convoluted top-out pay schemes.

They scam us whenever they can, which is often. Hey, how come they kicked you out as LTFedExer? I miss your old avatar.

Very much so. However, for a company that is broke, we still have the FedEx Cup, NASCAR and probably college football bowl sponsorship again this year. ROI? Not sure if it pencils-out. My point was (and always is) that FedEx is out to screw us whenever possible, whether through legislation advantageous to FedEx, lousy self-insurance plans, or reduced hours, market levels, and convoluted top-out pay schemes.

They scam us whenever they can, which is often. Hey, how come they kicked you out as LTFedExer? I miss your old avatar.

fat fred should give that all up? So your family can eat?.Wouldnt you much rater watch football and Nascar? then eat some quality food??...lol

vantexan

That was back in 1998. FedEx was a different company back then.

No, it wasn't. It went through a union scare back then so they came up with serious raises for topped out after more than 4 years without a raise. It then proceeded to make certain they'd never go through a union problem again. FedEx Ground wasn't something they came up with a few years ago. They bought Rodeway back in the early 90's and have been taking away from Express employees ever since to use the money to build that infrastructure. Meanwhile they were telling us if we stick with them we'd have a great future. Now that they have everything in place you can see what they think of our future. We were used, pure and simple. Fred S wasn't a good guy who lost his way. He was and is a tough SOB who saw a huge payoff coming if they could get favorable legislation from Congress. Do you really believe they bought the naming rights to a stadium in Washington because it might help increase sales?

purplesky

Yes Republican supporters are dumb enough to follow along for sure.

I have come to the UGLY realization that 99% of UPS Teamsters in my very large hub are basically Republicans. YES MY WELL PAID UNION COWORKERS MOSTLY SUPPORT THE RIGHT WING POLITICAL MACHINE THAT IS TRYING TO DESTROY THEM.:wink2: Its ****ing amazing to me that these idiots support the Republican corporate capitalist machine that is trying to make all states RIGHT TO WORK and destroy the chance for American workers to bargain for a living wage.

THE DUMBEST GROUP OF WORKERS I HAVE TALKED WITH HAS TO BE THE OVER THE ROAD TRUCKERS THAT DRIVE FOR CRAP COMPANIES THAT PAY THEM PEANUTS TO STAY OUT ON THE ROAD FOR WEEKS AT A TIME AND SLEEP IN A NASTY TRUCK. THESE IDIOTS LISTEN TO REDEYE RADIO AND WATCH FOX NEWS AND THEY DONT EVEN REALIZE THAT THE POLITICAL MACHINE THEY SUPPORT IS HOLDING DOWN THEIR CHANCES TO EVER MAKE A LIVING WAGE. ITS PRETTY SICK.

There are some things I agree with on the Republican side BUT HOW THE HELL CAN ANYBODY SUPPORT A POLITICAL MACHINE THAT IS TRYING TO HURT YOU ON A PERSONAL LEVEL?

purplesky

Great post.:smart: This is Corporate greed in a nutshell. Spin the spirit of the law and blame Obama and the Fox news sheep will follow.

!Retired!

Who said FedEx is broke? The reason theygive us for smaller/no raises is always the same. 'We didn't make as much as we thought we would, so the raises will be smaller/no raises this year.

They didn't kick out LTFedExer. I forgot my password and had a tough time trying to reset it. But, I changed my avatar just for you :)
No, it wasn't. It went through a union scare back then so they came up with serious raises for topped out after more than 4 years without a raise. It then proceeded to make certain they'd never go through a union problem again. FedEx Ground wasn't something they came up with a few years ago. They bought Rodeway back in the early 90's and have been taking away from Express employees ever since to use the money to build that infrastructure. Meanwhile they were telling us if we stick with them we'd have a great future. Now that they have everything in place you can see what they think of our future. We were used, pure and simple. Fred S wasn't a good guy who lost his way. He was and is a tough SOB who saw a huge payoff coming if they could get favorable legislation from Congress. Do you really believe they bought the naming rights to a stadium in Washington because it might help increase sales?
The 'new' stadium in Washington was named FedEX Field in 1999. I'm not sure what happened with the raises before that (I started in 2000) or with Roadway/Caliber (purchased by FedEx in 1998). I do know I haven't gone 4 years with no raise since starting. A simple Google search would have helped you with your facts.