Got a call this morning, starting Tuesday

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Congrats & condolences at the same time. If you're getting that shot after being a casual you must have worked your butt off and done a good job.
Right now people have the best shot in years of getting an off the street slot because the inside-to-outside list is nearly depleted in some areas.

The Driver

I drive.
Our temp drivers start May 1st. They are calling back a ton of them around here. I hope they are not stringing you along to get you to work your but off to make the 30 day probational period with no intention of keeping you! (They would never do that....ya, right) If that is their intention, to use you, there is little to no chance that you could make seniority no matter how great a driver you are. I have seen this happen so many times I can not even count the occurrences.

I am hoping this is not the case for you, but you should be forewarned that they string new drivers along like this in the vast majority of cases around here. On the positive side they are actually hiring some new drivers permanently for the first time in 4 years around here. The timing of your call back is just a bit suspect.

Good luck!

I'm very suspicious. Isn't there anyway I could check my hire status or look for some lingo on paperwork that would indicate whether I'm casual or a permanent hire? In other words, do all I really have to go on is the my HR person's word? Seems shady.

The Driver

I drive.
Congrats & condolences at the same time. If you're getting that shot after being a casual you must have worked your butt off and done a good job.
Right now people have the best shot in years of getting an off the street slot because the inside-to-outside list is nearly depleted in some areas.

Thanks. This is exactly what HR said. They said that they were having an impossible time recruiting from a nearby hub to get guys to come work in the city apparently because they knew their time to drive was coming up and didn't want to move 15 miles away to work the same job they'll eventually get.

Maybe I just caught a lucky break.

ManInBrown

Congrats. If HR clearly stated you are being brought back as permanent, then it looks like thats the case. FYI, where I am seasonals start May 1st.

The Driver

I drive.
Congrats. If HR clearly stated you are being brought back as permanent, then it looks like thats the case. FYI, where I am seasonals start May 1st.

Is there a way I can confirm that it's true? For example, would my job title on my paycheck or on upsers.com say something like full-time or permanent or package car driver instead of casual driver?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I could've sworn that my title was "casual driver" on upsers.com when I looked at my profile. Since I haven't got my new employee ID yet or my old one reinstated I can't check yet. Any ideas?

I have many ideas; however, none are related to the topic being discussed.

Why don't you ask your supervisor Monday morning?

Sent using BrownCafe App

ManInBrown

Is there a way I can confirm that it's true? For example, would my job title on my paycheck or on upsers.com say something like full-time or permanent or package car driver instead of casual driver?
There is no job title on your paystub.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Actually on the upper right side the stub does say pkg with the first 3 letters of the town the center is located in followed by a 4 digit number. At least mine does. But it does not say permanent or casual. I wouldn't sweat it. There's nothing you can really do. I know right now its a big deal to you, as it would be to me as well if I were in your shoes. Just check when you go in Monday. Really all you can do

The Driver

I drive.
Actually on the upper right side the stub does say pkg with the center abbreviation. At least mine does. But it does not say permanent or casual. I wouldn't sweat it. There's nothing you can really do. I know right now its a big deal to you, as it would be to me as well if I were in your shoes. Just check when you go in Monday. Really all you can do

Will do. Thanks.

ManInBrown

Just for clarification purposes my stub has a section titled work location.

It starts with a 4 digit number. Is then followed by state abbreviation. Is then followed by the first 3 letters of the town/city center is located. Is then followed by the letters pkg. And then another 4 digit number. It does not say permanent

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Ask your steward and on-car. They'll know if you're a casual or working toward your 30.

twoeddies1

IMG_6598611653133.jpeg

Lwms

That good, too bad you couldn't have planned it so you'd be out for the summer. My knee feels pretty good actually...through the miracle of doing nothing..lol. Had an mri, torn menicus...I'll eventually need surgery but I'll put that off for as long as I can.
Bionic knees are a god send we can run faster and jump farther than before !!!must have been developed by ups management... just wish mine worked

MassWineGuy

Wow, that is really great. I'd have to believe that you did really well during peak and impressed the center manager. True, a lot of folks wait years to become drivers, but that's got nothing to do with you so be sure not to take any undue crap about it from other drivers. It doesn't matter. They're driving and you're driving.

I met the sup I had for peak while I was out and about today. He said the center is very busy, much more than normal for this time of the year. Maybe they'll hire a few people.

Lovethisjob, what part of the country are you in?

Last edited:

MassWineGuy

Some of us take pride in knowing we "earned" our seat at the table. You'll never know what that feels like.

That is the biggest crock of barnyard product I've ever heard. You're going to feel bitter toward the O.P. because UPS hired him as a driver faster than you became a driver? You saying that he cheated his way up the ladder or somehow doesn't deserve the opportunity? I think he knows how lucky he is. Some work years as a loader, some don't. Thems the breaks.

The Driver

I drive.
Wow, that is really great. I'd have to believe that you did really well during peak and impressed the center manager. True, a lot of folks wait years to become drivers, but that's got nothing to do with you so be sure not to take any undue crap about it from other drivers. It doesn't matter. They're driving and you're driving.

I met the sup I had for peak while I was out and about today. He said the center is very busy, much more than normal for this time of the year. Maybe they'll hire a few people.

Lovethisjob, what part of the country are you in?

I'm prepared for a few negative remarks but I'm sure most will be in good humor. I don't take too many things personally when it comes down to it.

I'm in the northeast.

Thanks for the encouragement.