Got a job as Package Handler on preload shift, not sure if I should do it...

chicagocubz

I'm hoping you guys can give me some advice.

I'm currently a college student, I'll be transferring to a university in the Fall. I went for my interview today and got the job during the morning shift. Tomorrow morning I'm supposed to go in for a tour of the facility. Now with my current school schedule working 3 AM-9 AM or whenever works fine. However, this summer (starting May 16th) I plan to take an EMT-Basic course. This class runs Monday through Thursday from 8 AM until 12 PM. Obviously this means UPS would conflict with my class schedule.

I don't technically need a job right now. I'm dead set on taking this class. Is it true that you have to work at UPS for 6 months before you're able to request a different shift? Is there really no point in my working at UPS for only a little over a month than? From what I understand my first few checks will be very small due to union fees, so I wouldn't make much at all.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

TechGrrl

Space Cadet
I'm hoping you guys can give me some advice.

I'm currently a college student, I'll be transferring to a university in the Fall. I went for my interview today and got the job during the morning shift. Tomorrow morning I'm supposed to go in for a tour of the facility. Now with my current school schedule working 3 AM-9 AM or whenever works fine. However, this summer (starting May 16th) I plan to take an EMT-Basic course. This class runs Monday through Thursday from 8 AM until 12 PM. Obviously this means UPS would conflict with my class schedule.

I don't technically need a job right now. I'm dead set on taking this class. Is it true that you have to work at UPS for 6 months before you're able to request a different shift? Is there really no point in my working at UPS for only a little over a month than? From what I understand my first few checks will be very small due to union fees, so I wouldn't make much at all.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Based on the information you have given us, there is no reason whatsoever for you to work for UPS for a month and then quit. You WILL wind up working later than the shift hours you are given, due to late inbound arrivals of the packages you are going to load. Since the EMT gig is clearly more important, I would pass on the UPS gig for now.

chicagocubz

Based on the information you have given us, there is no reason whatsoever for you to work for UPS for a month and then quit. You WILL wind up working later than the shift hours you are given, due to late inbound arrivals of the packages you are going to load. Since the EMT gig is clearly more important, I would pass on the UPS gig for now.
Thanks, I didn't realize I could be working later anyway. My shift is supposed to end at 9 AM and I have class at 10 AM, so I guess that means I could have issues with the remainder of this semester, let alone the summer class.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Thanks, I didn't realize I could be working later anyway. My shift is supposed to end at 9 AM and I have class at 10 AM, so I guess that means I could have issues with the remainder of this semester, let alone the summer class.

99% of the time you will be gone by 9am. Also, most supervisors will cut people before 8:45am and leave the high seniority people for the "cleanup".

Not saying this is a good fit for you , the EMT thing would ruin it. UPS will not cave and let you go early every day or some days, say 7:30 or 8am...