Got a letter in the mail tonight from Teamcare about COBRA?

k21202225

Hi, I joined to ask this question after calling National HR number. I'm a driver of 15 years, and am still employed with UPS, not planning on leaving anytime soon but just got a letter from Teamcare saying the following:
"If you do not elect COBRA continuation coverage, your coverage will end of 9/27/2015, ect. ect."
Basically saying my insurance is dropped as of 9/27/2015, yet my daughter has gotten her RX's filled since and they were still covered everything is still covered as normal, and this is my first time hearing this.

I took FMLA (approved) leave due to a family emergency from 9/22-10/5, would this have something t do with it? I have no idea who initiated this considering national HR told me they have nothing to do with it, and it still shows active.

Any help/comments would be great. (Sorry if I posted in the wrong forum, or anything btw)

Inthegame

Hi, I joined to ask this question after calling National HR number. I'm a driver of 15 years, and am still employed with UPS, not planning on leaving anytime soon but just got a letter from Teamcare saying the following:
"If you do not elect COBRA continuation coverage, your coverage will end of 9/27/2015, ect. ect."
Basically saying my insurance is dropped as of 9/27/2015, yet my daughter has gotten her RX's filled since and they were still covered everything is still covered as normal, and this is my first time hearing this.

I took FMLA (approved) leave due to a family emergency from 9/22-10/5, would this have something t do with it? I have no idea who initiated this considering national HR told me they have nothing to do with it, and it still shows active.

Any help/comments would be great. (Sorry if I posted in the wrong forum, or anything btw)
Have you called TeamCare? I'd agree with your concern as the COBRA letter only goes out if your coverage has been interrupted. You are covered under FMLA, but it appears someone screwed up. Call TeamCare, talk to your center manager and call your BA. Tomorrow.

trickpony1

Here's some options:

1)Call your BA, explain the situation to him, have him call your local HR dept and get it straightened out.

2)Call HRSC and find out why they think your benefits aren't covered any more....then call your BA.

Be aware that HRSC is a third party contractor (they aren't even UPS employees) and some people think they couldn't care less about anything.

Last edited:

trickpony1

Have you called TeamCare? I'd agree with your concern as the COBRA letter only goes out if your coverage has been interrupted. You are covered under FMLA, but it appears someone screwed up. Call TeamCare, talk to your center manager and call your BA. Tomorrow.

I agree with all of this.

PT Crazy

In the Central we have had part timers that had a week off as a request off. They got this same letter. YOu have to have one punch per week or vacation. They had to fart around with HR to get it all squared away.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!

Sounds like they coded you wrong for your FMLA.

You said you were back to work on 10-06 and HR says you are active and you have had benefits paid since then.

Your coverage was re-installed when you returned.

If you had no medical bills for the time you took FMLA, I wouldn't worry about anything.

You're covered now since you are back to work and there is no penalty for a lapse in coverage.

If you had medical bills for the time you were off, you need to call HR back and make them understand that you were off for approved FMLA and to make sure they send Teamcare the payment because bills will be coming.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
The only problem I see so far with the advice given is, as a package car driver in November, when is he supposed to have the time available that will be necessary to negotiate the significant hurdles of dealing with TeamCare by phone.
Poor fella, what an unnecessary nightmare.

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
I had a similar problem . I was out on disability and got a notice of Cobra about 1 week that coincided with my return. The Doctor's visit for my approval would not have been covered. I had my manager take care of the correction.

upschuck

If HC wasn't paid, your other benefits probably weren't either, contact your manager soon to get that taken care of.

Chemo

Happens all the time. Your payroll department/clerk coded you wrong. Your health benefits & pension weren't paid. This has happened to me about 10 times in 27 years when I go on vacation. About a month later I get the Cobra letter. Whoever handles your payroll in your center is the first person who should fix it. You'll have to follow up with any doctors you saw while your insurance wasn't active, because they will start mailing you bills once the claim is denied. Get with your payroll clerk or center manager. Good Luck.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
If HC wasn't paid, your other benefits probably weren't either, contact your manager soon to get that taken care of.

Where I am, missing a week shouldn't affect the pension.

Only need 1801 hours to get a full years credit.

You can miss almost 7 full weeks and still get the full years credit.

Now this could affect a lower seniority guy who is laid off for weeks at a time. But I believe the OP has around 15 years.

He may still be able to take 6 more weeks off unpaid and still have a full year credit for his pension, at least in the Central.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I have suggested repeatedly to our BA that we should raise it to at least 1500, preferably 1800, but he insists that the low minimum has no bearing on our current pension woes.
UPS pays into your fund by the hour and mine by the week. When I hit the clock Monday morning 400+ goes into the fund.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
And some people swear....

It's 1250 hours.

-Bug-

Central Region Supplement

Article 14 Section 1

(4) Full-time employees will receive one (1) year of Credited Service for each 1801 paid hours in Covered Employment in a calendar year beginning on or after January 1, 2008. Employees will receive partial years of Credited Service in monthly increments (i.e., one month if employee worked 150 or more hours in Covered Employment in that month). For purposes of earning service credit for the service pensions only, full-time employees will receive one week of service credit if he/she has one hour of service in Covered Employment.