Got asked to switch to small sort? Should i?

Ant12

Im an 18 year old student planning to go to college and I'm a loader..ive been told loading is one of the more difficult jobs in the building, and I've been loading for a year. A new small sort schedule is being added to my hub, and they need people. My ft sup asked if i was smart and if i would want to go up there. I said "could i try it first, then decide?" then he kinda brushed it off and said he has a lot of other people interested and that he will talk to me about it later. I have a history of catching a lot of bad bags and that may be why they asked me to go up there, and I'm also not on the muscular side lol, still do my best loading though. 9/10 times ill come home sore from loading, and i hear small sort is a lot less physically taxing. So can someone help me make a decision? thanks

Ant12

Key word in small sort is SMALL which also means light. Tough decision.
i know i can't decide :(. i love the loaders i work with too. loading irregs and breaking jams get pretty annoying and i was wondering what other jobs in the hub were like, and now may be the best opportunity

Ant12

Are you planning on taking classes primarily during the early or late part of the day? This will impact what shift you should work on.
well, i was told it would be the small sort twilight (I'm a loader on twilight now) but that sorters come in earlier, and leave earlier than loaders do. I load on the PD that has the most volume in the hub, so we often leave late, up to a half hour after other PD's get done

Overpaid Union Thug

Im an 18 year old student planning to go to college and I'm a loader..ive been told loading is one of the more difficult jobs in the building, and I've been loading for a year. A new small sort schedule is being added to my hub, and they need people. My ft sup asked if i was smart and if i would want to go up there. I said "could i try it first, then decide?" then he kinda brushed it off and said he has a lot of other people interested and that he will talk to me about it later. I have a history of catching a lot of bad bags and that may be why they asked me to go up there, and I'm also not on the muscular side lol, still do my best loading though. 9/10 times ill come home sore from loading, and i hear small sort is a lot less physically taxing. So can someone help me make a decision? thanks

That's a no brainer. Take the job! Unless you are one of those "I'm getting paid to work out" kind of guys. I worked in smalls (as well as many other classifications ) at both UPS and FedEx Ground. Easy money. Smalls can get a little frustrating and tedious at times. Especially during peak. And smalls is where allot of higher seniority female career part-timers work and some of them can be a pain to work with sometimes. When they actually work or even show up. Expect to be sorting and bagging two bins (which is normally a three person job) by yourself because they either are late or continuously disappear from their post to go chit chat with their buddies on up the belt. At worst smalls is still better than loading or unloading trailers though.

Sure

Ant12

That's a no brainer. Take the job! Unless you are one of those "I'm getting paid to work out" kind of guys. I worked in smalls (as well as many other classifications ) at both UPS and FedEx Ground. Easy money. Smalls can get a little frustrating and tedious at times. Especially during peak. And smalls is where allot of higher seniority female career part-timers work and some of them can be a pain to work with sometimes. When they actually work or even show up. Expect to be sorting and bagging two bins (which is normally a three person job) by yourself because they either are late or continuously disappear from their post to go chit chat with their buddies on up the belt. At worst smalls is still better than loading or unloading trailers though.
i think you just convinced me

T

Turdferguson

that's what they want you to do. Flip the script on them and ask.. NAY!! Demand to work irregs! Teach those polo wearing goons who is the boss. You that's who. When you are getting all honeys five years from now because you got that Denzil walk/slide because your whole body is in constant pain, and everybody knows chicks dig scars

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less

Do we work in the same building?

ViewAskew

Go for it, easier work than the load. I worked in my small sort for 9 of my 10 years PT. I worked twilight and scheduled my classes around that shift when I went to school.

You need to stay focused in ss. Easier to mislead/mistoggle bags.

margaritaville

Do it. I use to make fun of smalls and be a fast loader but once i was over there i decided it is much better. Your pride isnt worth an increase risk of injuries long term. Smalls is so easy. However, i noticed it consist of more drama and girls. Still worth it for your body.