Got Bit by Dog Tuesday

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
MGT CONSIDERS EVERY ACCIDENT AVOIDABLE, IF THE DRIVER IN THIS SITUATION WAS WEARING PANTS(AS I WAS TOLD), THE DOG ATTACK NEVER WOULD HAVE HAPPENED.

Why wasn't the driver wearing any pants? No wonder the dog bit him.:wink2:sorry, I couldn't help myself.

UPSGUY72

TRUE STORY.I was bitten by a dog on the sewcond day of my new route. The canine was located in a place of business. Upon further review it was determined that the dog bite waas my fault. I had failed to yell "UPS" upon entering said business and I had failed to beep the horn.( The package car was parked a block away). Now I'm considered a "Most help needed employee". Also, mgt failed to take pictures of the injury and the location of thed incident. Three weeks later they wanted me to reanact the attack as the owner watched. Also it took mgt three weeks to code the stop as dangerous. REMEMBER MGT CONSIDERS EVERY ACCIDENT AVOIDABLE, IF THE DRIVER IN THIS SITUATION WAS WEARING PANTS(AS I WAS TOLD), THE DOG ATTACK NEVER WOULD HAVE HAPPENED.

What are the pants that you get in your area like a shark suit ???? I suppose that if you got bit on you arm they be telling you that you should have been wearing a long sleeve shirt.

Your reasoning makes no sence UPS supplied the shorts that I was wearing. If they wanted us to wear pants all the time to help stop dog bites then they wouldn't issue shorts.

I wasn't wearing pants becasue it was 90 degrees out only an idiot would be wearing pants.

Big Babooba

What are the pants that you get in your area like a shark suit ???? I suppose that if you got bit on you arm they be telling you that you should have been wearing a long sleeve shirt.

Your reasoning makes no sence UPS supplied the shorts that I was wearing. If they wanted us to wear pants all the time to help stop dog bites then they wouldn't issue shorts.

I wasn't wearing pants becasue it was 90 degrees out only an idiot would be wearing pants.
Am I an idiot? I wear pants every day. I have escaped a few dog bite injuries when little ankle biter Fifi clamped onto my pant leg rather than my calf.

fxdwg

Long Time Member
Isn't there a thread about hot ankles and biceps?

This bite looks like it's from a remora or some midget with bad teeth.

DS

Fenderbender
07-28-2010 11:42 PM is when you first reported this shark bite.
A lawyer? I bet it's healed up nicely.I could not go through with it.
Better off go talk to the customer and work out a solution.
jmho

curiousbrain

Whew .. that's some set of chompers that dog had there; how did you manage to get away?

On a more serious note, I don't begrudge you the point of pursuing the allowed legal recourse. However, I would like to paint the other side of the picture as someone who has an adopted dog with ... aggression issues. My dog bit someone once - badly, mind you .. stitches, hospital, etc - and I wound up speaking to lawyers, a judge, animal control, and state police. If it was not for the animal control officer who understood the situation the dog was in (the context was such that he felt threatened - whether that was what the human meant to portray or not was irrelevant in this case), he would have been put in a nine-week "quarantine", which is basically two months and change in a crate, let out once a day. Not knowing the dog in question, it should suffice for me to say that he would have come out of that treatment exponentially worse, probably would've never made it back to me, and all the fun that sounds like.

So, again .. do what you feel is justified, and maybe things are different in your state, but there is a flip side which you deserve to be aware of, is all.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

What we as service providers deserve is the ability to perform our jobs without threat of serious injury by an unsecured dog.

I do like DS's idea of trying to work out an equitable solution with the homeowner.

UPSGUY72

Whew .. that's some set of chompers that dog had there; how did you manage to get away?

On a more serious note, I don't begrudge you the point of pursuing the allowed legal recourse. However, I would like to paint the other side of the picture as someone who has an adopted dog with ... aggression issues. My dog bit someone once - badly, mind you .. stitches, hospital, etc - and I wound up speaking to lawyers, a judge, animal control, and state police. If it was not for the animal control officer who understood the situation the dog was in (the context was such that he felt threatened - whether that was what the human meant to portray or not was irrelevant in this case), he would have been put in a nine-week "quarantine", which is basically two months and change in a crate, let out once a day. Not knowing the dog in question, it should suffice for me to say that he would have come out of that treatment exponentially worse, probably would've never made it back to me, and all the fun that sounds like.

So, again .. do what you feel is justified, and maybe things are different in your state, but there is a flip side which you deserve to be aware of, is all.

The owner was in his driveway with his two dogs running around unleashed. I stop at the end of the driveway and the owner said they are ok. One dog walked up to me non threating and sniffed my leg then proceeded to bite me. Come to find out that there is a sign on the fence on the side of his house that says beware of dog. I have dogs mine don't run loose they are fenced in at all times not because they bite but traffic.

8-24-09 332.jpg
8-24-09 332.jpg

over9five

Staff member
I think any dog owner that allows his dog to bite someone deserves to be sued. Talk about irresponsible pet owners! Sue him the first time, and if there's a second time, that animal should be taken away and put down.

Maybe the owner as well.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
Why would you contact the union? What are they going to do about it? File the injury report, seek medical attention and then submit a claim against the homeowner's insurance policy. Check to be sure the dog has had all of it's shots because if it hasn't you may have to go through a series of rabies shots as it appears the dog bite punctured your skin.

They dont do the series of shots anymore, now its just one shot.

curiousbrain

What we as service providers deserve is the ability to perform our jobs without threat of serious injury by an unsecured dog.

I do like DS's idea of trying to work out an equitable solution with the homeowner.

I think 'deserve' may have been a bad choice of words on my part; implied a particular connotation I didn't mean to express. I think what I was trying to do, successfully or no, was to illustrate what the result of going through all the motions might be on the homeowner. Also, I wasn't trying to imply that no action should be taken - it occurs to me that an equitable solution (whatever that may be) with the homeowner, sans legal action, would be advantageous to both parties, as well.

The owner was in his driveway with his two dogs running around unleashed. I stop at the end of the driveway and the owner said they are ok. One dog walked up to me non threating and sniffed my leg then proceeded to bite me. Come to find out that there is a sign on the fence on the side of his house that says beware of dog. I have dogs mine don't run loose they are fenced in at all times not because they bite but traffic.

If he said they were OK, and then you were bit, that is total nonsense then. Not to say he deserves to be sued, and I'm not sure what the "proper" (subjective) response is, but that is nonsense nonetheless.

Nice dogs (and couch), btw.

rod

Retired 22 years
I think any dog owner that allows his dog to bite someone deserves to be sued. Talk about irresponsible pet owners! Sue him the first time, and if there's a second time, that animal should be taken away and put down.

Maybe the owner as well.

+1