Got hired as a Sorter, first day I was a loader

Realm

Hi all. I had my orientation (watched safety videos) and was told that I'm going to be loading a truck for an hour and half then they will send me home which he did. When I got hired,I got hired as a Sorter as the HR Supervisor had told me and on the ups website that has the application and document info says that I'm a Sorter PM. I was also told the supervisor that was supposed to be there for the orientation wasn't there and someone else was doing it instead.

My question is if I got hired as a Sorter, is it normal that they had me load a truck by stacking boxes instead of training me for sort?

I have previous experience as a sorter at Amazon.com

Realm

Wouldn't that be just Amazon. Why did you leave?
It would be more like Amazon.com INC. (What's the difference lol)

Too far from home, it got very bad in the winter when it came to driving for over an hour back and forth. UPS is only 5 mins away.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
First off, welcome to big brown. So on your first day you watched videos then loaded a trailer. One thing you have to learn about UPS is at times you will have to help out in other areas. You have yet to be trained on the sort so they had you help out where they needed a body. Don't read too much into your first day but get used to helping out where needed and working as directed.

Realm

First off, welcome to big brown. So on your first day you watched videos then loaded a trailer. One thing you have to learn about UPS is at times you will have to help out in other areas. You have yet to be trained on the sort so they had you help out where they needed a body. Don't read too much into your first day but get used to helping out where needed and working as directed.

Thank you for your response! I don't mind helping elsewhere which I think would be a benefit in the long run to understand how they all work. I thought that they had changed the position that was offered to me without telling me. Which would probably mess up the extra dollar I would get per hour that I was promised.

Z

ZQXC

Don't read too much into your first day but get used to helping out where needed and working as directed.

I don't mind helping elsewhere which I think would be a benefit in the long run to understand how they all work.

As a part time worker at ups, you will quickly learn that you are a body. "We need some more bodies in the unload."

However, if you stick around long enough to become a driver you will be promoted to ass. " Do we have enough asses for all the seats today?"

Ass pays a lot more.:)

Realm

As a part time worker at ups, you will quickly learn that you are a body. "We need some more bodies in the unload."

However, if you stick around long enough to become a driver you will be promoted to ass. " Do we have enough asses for all the seats today?"

Ass pays a lot more.:)

Oh that's not even the half of it. Promises

You will work where you are assigned to work at. Just because you're a sorter, doesn't mean they won't make you load a truck, unload a truck, or split a belt. You work in a warehouse remember that. Realistically, The only you will remain at the work station that you want is if you prove to your sup that you are worthy enough.

MendozaJ

I was hired as a preloader, but didn't actually preload for over a month, just bouncing around wherever a body was needed (or sent home). New hires drop out frequently, so you won't be given an assignment until you can prove you are willing to hack it.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Hi all. I had my orientation (watched safety videos) and was told that I'm going to be loading a truck for an hour and half then they will send me home which he did. When I got hired,I got hired as a Sorter as the HR Supervisor had told me and on the ups website that has the application and document info says that I'm a Sorter PM. I was also told the supervisor that was supposed to be there for the orientation wasn't there and someone else was doing it instead.

My question is if I got hired as a Sorter, is it normal that they had me load a truck by stacking boxes instead of training me for sort?

I have previous experience as a sorter at Amazon.com
You work where they tell you to work....enjoy loading trailers...I hear it's tons of fun!

rod

Retired 22 years
Just work as directed and MAKE SURE YOU KEEP TRACK OF THE HOURS YOU ARE WORKING. Get a little note book and write down when you start and finish each day. It will come in handy the first time they screw up your pay.