Got rid of ORIAN

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
We were on stage one, and that is all i can tell you. It factored in mileage. Yes you are still free to make decisions and run the route the "right" way...

It is a decent system for new people yes. But just like EDD, I imagine Stop counts will go up again because UPS will say that we dont have to think.

And the loading system for this sucks... You will be delivering in the morning and have to crawl over boxes to get to your 8000 shelf. Then the next stop will be in 4000, then the next in 1000.... So you are constantly looking for stuff in the morning and cant get into a good rhythm. If they can somehow fix the loading method, it would be and alright system. Better than EDD anyday!

So lemme get this straight, we won't follow methods for bringing our next stops to the front of the truck in our selection area? Crawl over boxes, sounds like a real good way to get injured. Wasting time looking for boxes all around the truck just because the DIAD said too, sounds like wasted time. This system sounds better and better every day I check this thread. All this to take the driver out of the equasion, yet who's still driving?

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
We were on stage one, and that is all i can tell you. It factored in mileage. Yes you are still free to make decisions and run the route the "right" way...

It is a decent system for new people yes. But just like EDD, I imagine Stop counts will go up again because UPS will say that we dont have to think.

And the loading system for this sucks... You will be delivering in the morning and have to crawl over boxes to get to your 8000 shelf. Then the next stop will be in 4000, then the next in 1000.... So you are constantly looking for stuff in the morning and cant get into a good rhythm. If they can somehow fix the loading method, it would be and alright system. Better than EDD anyday!

There is no way in hell I am going to be crawling over boxes to my 8000 shelf just so that I can meet a quota and look good on an ORIAN report.

This is going to be a lot of fun. I cant wait for the first warning letters to pop up for "excessive sorting" or "failure to maintain a smooth routine". We have been taught for years to pull our next few stops forward into a 30-60" selection area and then avoid re-handling them. Now ORIAN comes along and we are supposed to throw all that out the window and continuously shuffle and re-organize the packages every time ORIAN "changes its mind" about what our next stop should be? What idiot comes up with this stuff, and why are we paying him a salary?

menotyou

bella amicizia

EDD is an idiot. There is no way in hell I would crawl anywhere for UPS.

Last edited:

menotyou

bella amicizia
You don't have our dispatcher. You can't give that guy away with a ham sandwich. I don't care how many times you go upstairs and sit down with him, he will screw it up. It is so bad, no one wants him to touch their DOL. We will just learn where they are as is and get use to it. Much better here when loaders knew your route better than you did.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
EDD, with a properly set-up DOL, has made me a more efficient driver. I am averaging 15-20 more stops and getting done at the same time while following the methods.

Would you be as efficient climbing over bulk to get to section 7000? This system might be helpful in a rural area but my first 50 or 60 stops are on one retail street. That's not gonna change.

Dragon

Package Center Manager

Lets be honest everyone, not to many people go out the door with the truck slam full as described above....most you can walk thru before leaving the building.

BrownGuy

Would you be as efficient climbing over bulk to get to section 7000? This system might be helpful in a rural area but my first 50 or 60 stops are on one retail street. That's not gonna change.

What everyone has to keep in mind is, this will not work with everyone. You have drivers that this will help, and you have drivers that it will not help. But...does that mean that it shouldn't be done? If this was your business and it had a proven potential to save you money would you not do it? Keep in mind you are dealing with people here. You have competent people (drivers and management alike). You have incompetent people (drivers and management alike). You have people who just want to screw everyone as much as possible (drivers and management alike). All you can do is set forth a sound plan and hope that everyone does the right thing. But what you get can be quite different depending on where you are, who you are, and who your bosses are. This is just the plain truth about management. Like it or not.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Lets be honest everyone, not to many people go out the door with the truck slam full as described above....most you can walk thru before leaving the building.

What world do you live in? Our dispatch supes live by the mantra "a full truck is a happy truck."

softshoe

Lets be honest everyone, TO MANY PEOPLE go out the door with the truck slam full....most of you CAN'T walk thru before leaving the building.

BrownGuy

What world do you live in? Our dispatch supes live by the mantra "a full truck is a happy truck."

Your dispatch sups live by the mantra they are told to live by. They are told what their stops per car should be, and the have to deliver (no pun intedended). I wish that drivers could be on the business end of the conversations if they don't. Remember folks, this Is a business, not a campfire Kumbaya.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n

Seriously, you really need to look around at any center with half way decent volume and density. I can honestly tell you I can count the number of drivers in 700's in the 20's half of those are blown out. The rest are in 1000's or larger and more then 75% are blown out each day. Lets not forget about the 6 van routes in our center alone. Yes let's be honest, trucks that leave here not blown out are the exception.

This doesn't include of course when dispatch pulls funky fresh splits, realizing 5mins before start time they can't cram 5lbs of **** in a 4lb bucket.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Your dispatch sups live by the mantra they are told to live by. They are told what their stops per car should be, and the have to deliver (no pun intedended). I wish that drivers could be on the business end of the conversations if they don't. Remember folks, this Is a business, not a campfire Kumbaya.

Just keep paying that weekly check, my business is booming. You guys can worry about what all managment crossfire and crap that goes on, I just deliver the cardboard, you deliver me my greenbacks.

Re-Raise

I wish that drivers could be on the business end of the conversations if they don't. Remember folks, this Is a business, not a campfire Kumbaya.

Boo hoo. We had a center manager tell us one morning after they cut a route that " it is just as hard on the dispatch sup when we cut routes as it is on you guys "

Are you kidding me? We repeat that gem weekly at least in my center.

Just keep saying yes sir on the conference calls skippy.

browniehound

Not replace it. Augment it.

It will show you a way to deliver that reduces miles and time. If you can do better, you should.

Yes, the way you deliver a section will vary. Just like you don't follow EDD 100%, either will it.

As it was explained to me, it will not hop all around the car. That would be stupid. But it will adjust depending on the stops in the car that day.

It will see things you can't. You will see things it can't.

If you follow it 80% and reduce miles, that's a good thing.

Something like 10 centers have done that. Every one improved significantly. (That doesn't mean that every driver did, but every center as a whole)

Pretzel, I think you wrote a key phrase that some drivers will refuse to listen to. "It will show you things you don't see" and I agree 100%. I don't know how many times after covering a route for 10 years another driver would say "well I that part this way" and it was something i didnt see but worked better than the way i had been doing it.

If Orion can give me that then I think it will be succesful. If I have to follow what it is says all the time then I think it will fail.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
To me the million dollar question is this:
Upsguy72 tells us this system was implemented and subsequently eliminated in his facility as a failure.
PretzelMan contends that he was privy to the stats and this system showed gains in reducing miles and paid days, as well as an increasing the average SPOHR.
If this is the case, why would ORIAN be eliminated at this location then?
Am I the only one that finds this to be odd?

pretzel_man

To me the million dollar question is this:
Upsguy72 tells us this system was implemented and subsequently eliminated in his facility as a failure.
PretzelMan contends that he was privy to the stats and this system showed gains in reducing miles and paid days, as well as an increasing the average SPOHR.
If this is the case, why would ORIAN be eliminated at this location then?
Am I the only one that finds this to be odd?

I have been out of town all week, and it seems that not much has changed.....

They planned all along to only put it in for a limited amount of time. It was only a test system. They were testing if the idea worked and if there was any gain.

So, the question will be... If they finish the system and put it back, why? It will be because it saves money.....

pretzel_man

Pretzel, I think you wrote a key phrase that some drivers will refuse to listen to. "It will show you things you don't see" and I agree 100%. I don't know how many times after covering a route for 10 years another driver would say "well I that part this way" and it was something i didnt see but worked better than the way i had been doing it.

If Orion can give me that then I think it will be succesful. If I have to follow what it is says all the time then I think it will fail.

I agree 100%. I hope those running the show don't try and make it fit 100% of the time... The key is to save time and miles.

Many have said and I agree.... A good system with a poor implementation is a poor result.

From what they showed me, it seems like a good system. I hope we have a good implementation.