Got stuck in helper DIAD, what did I mess up?

AssistantSanta

In three weeks I've been helping, I haven't had this happen before.

I had two packages to jump. One I could drop off, one had to be signed for. 30 seconds at the door and no answer.

I'm told I just have to do "deliver, front door" on the one I can leave. NonDel, NotIn, 1st attempt, on the signature pkg, then scan the notice form.

I got the scanner ready to scan the notice and as I was filling up the notice, guy comes out.

I hit the pen button, got him to sign, keyed in the name but when I pushed the check button, it beeped and won't close out.
The driver somehow got me out of it without having to go back and have him sign again, but I don't know how.

What did I mess up this time?

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
That's easy. You didn't remove the NI on the sig req pkg. All you have to do is go to the pkg that you did NI on and hit non del again. The diad will ask if you want to cancel the NI.

upsgrunt

When you scan the info notice, it leaves an empty space in the package screen. You cannot stop complete without first deleting that empty space.

AssistantSanta

That's easy. You didn't remove the NI on the sig req pkg. All you have to do is go to the pkg that you did NI on and hit non del again. The diad will ask if you want to cancel the NI.
Thanks. If there were multiple signature packages, do I have to go back and do it for every line item? Does "FD" have to be canceled out too before the DIAD will let the stop finish out?

Say...
#.... FD
#....
s... NI
s... NI
#... NI (those Apple no DR thing)
s... NI
#...

I don't mind getting stuck when I can have the driver fix it in the truck, but I feel like such an idiot when I get stuck with the recipient standing there.

DS

Fenderbender
I think he just forgot to hit the shift key and typed the last name in numerically.

AssistantSanta

I think he just forgot to hit the shift key and typed the last name in numerically.

You don't have to use it, at least not for helper board that I use (DIAD IV)

From this handout they gave to all the helpers at orientation called "Using the DIAD IV", it says, word for word:
"Helpful Hint, the signature clarification screen is defaulted to letters only and this eliminates the need to put the DIAD in the alpha mode."

But...for a reason beyond my understanding, the above doesn't apply when you're typing in name for signed delivery notice.

So, I only use it for putting in apartments labeled A,B,C or D1 and such and when I type in the name for signed notice.

Last edited:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I think Dilli is right in that you did not cancel the NI before getting the signature. You also should have cancelled the DR but this is not what would not let you get the signature.

AssistantSanta

I was able to get the signature.
pen button, enter, got sig, pen button, put in name, enter. It went back to package list. It only started complaining after I hit the check mark button.