Got the job. I have a few questions now.

memphis12

Hi, I got the job as a permanent package handler and have a few questions. One is about signing up for the Union. Is the union worth it? What does signing with the Union offer? How much money will they take out? Secondly, I'm working the midnight shift. I get to chose between loader and unloader. For someone who's not in good fitness shape at the time, which of the two would it be least tough to adapt to physically starting off? I have to decide on the two topics by tomorrow so any help/tips would be appreciated. Thanks for the help.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Are you planning on making this your career or is it just a job? Are you in a RTW state? If this is just a job and you do not have to join the union I would suggest that you don't. If you are planning on making this your career I suggest that you do.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
If you decide to join the Union, don't join until you gain seniority.
Up to that point, the Union does not represent you but they'll take your money.
Many people who start at UPS don't make seniority.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Join the union if you don't you will just be a scab.

Why don't you tell the OP all of the wonderful benefits a new PT hire in a RTW state would enjoy by joining the Union? Make sure you mention that he will have to pay up to $500 for the "privilege" of joining the Union.

As I said above, if UPS is going to be your career then by all means join the Union. If not, and you have the option, don't.

GolfCart

union ,, UPS will underhand you , and fire you for any reason . I do not know cost of PT , but its worth it !!!! Good Luck !

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
If you can't handle the job early on put your letter in to be part time management, telling others how to do the job while you weren't able to is the UPS mantra.

memphis12

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I do plan on having this job until I get into my real career years down the road, so I do plan on being here for a while, but not as a career. UPS'r I do live in a RTW state, what is the significants of that in this context?

If you live in a right to work state, you are not required to join the union. For a part timer it is really not worth it. They take way too much money out of a small pay check for dues. What a RTW state means "[h=2]What Right to Work Means[/h]
The U.S. right to work legal principle is sometimes confused with that of employment at will or it simply doesn't mean what some think it does. For example, it doesn't mean that all U.S. citizens are entitled to work if they wish. While that's generally true, it's not what right to work means in legalese.
In legalese, right to work more specifically means that otherwise-qualified employees are entitled to work at unionized workplaces, without joining the associated unions or paying regular union dues. But right to work (nonunion) employees might have to pay unions for the portion of dues spent representing them, such as pursuing grievances on their behalf.Right to work employees who are part of a "bargaining unit" have the right to union representation, that is equal to those in the same bargaining unit who've joined the union. A bargaining unit is a group of employees who have similar work duties, share a workplace, and presumably have similar interests when it comes to pay, hours and other working conditions.
In other words, under the right to work principle, workers don't have to join unions or pay regular union dues to land or keep jobs. They may also cancel union membership at any time, without losing their jobs. But they are still entitled to fair and equal union representation while working in bargaining units of unionized workplaces. However, they might have to pay unions for the cost of such representation."

They may call you a scab, but here is my opinion of the Union-it is there to protect the full timers and the lazy part timers. If you work hard and do your job you do not have anything to worry about. I refuse to join the union and give up $20 or more dollars a week to a group of people that are only out to help the drivers/full timers. They used the union 30 years ago to make their lives easy and to make a lot of money, they don't care about the little people that break their backs daily loading the trucks for them.

over9five

Staff member
I refuse to join the union and give up $20 or more dollars a week to a group of people that are only out to help the drivers/full timers. They used the union 30 years ago to make their lives easy and to make a lot of money, they don't care about the little people that break their backs daily loading the trucks for them.

The REAL problem is that those "little people" don't care for themselves. The part-timers could own and run the Union and dictate their own pay just by the simple fact that they overwhelmingly outnumber the full-timers.

Unfortunately, 99.8% of them don't go to Union meetings and are basically non-participants in any Union business.

tardus

If you live in a right to work state, you are not required to join the union. For a part timer it is really not worth it. They take way too much money out of a small pay check for dues. What a RTW state means "[h=2]What Right to Work Means[/h]
The U.S. right to work legal principle is sometimes confused with that of employment at will or it simply doesn't mean what some think it does. For example, it doesn't mean that all U.S. citizens are entitled to work if they wish. While that's generally true, it's not what right to work means in legalese.In legalese, right to work more specifically means that otherwise-qualified employees are entitled to work at unionized workplaces, without joining the associated unions or paying regular union dues. But right to work (nonunion) employees might have to pay unions for the portion of dues spent representing them, such as pursuing grievances on their behalf.Right to work employees who are part of a "bargaining unit" have the right to union representation, that is equal to those in the same bargaining unit who've joined the union. A bargaining unit is a group of employees who have similar work duties, share a workplace, and presumably have similar interests when it comes to pay, hours and other working conditions.In other words, under the right to work principle, workers don't have to join unions or pay regular union dues to land or keep jobs. They may also cancel union membership at any time, without losing their jobs. But they are still entitled to fair and equal union representation while working in bargaining units of unionized workplaces. However, they might have to pay unions for the cost of such representation."They may call you a scab, but here is my opinion of the Union-it is there to protect the full timers and the lazy part timers. If you work hard and do your job you do not have anything to worry about. I refuse to join the union and give up $20 or more dollars a week to a group of people that are only out to help the drivers/full timers. They used the union 30 years ago to make their lives easy and to make a lot of money, they don't care about the little people that break their backs daily loading the trucks for them.
I must counter the gross inaccuracy of the statement that "{the Union] is there to protect the full timers and the lazy part timers. If you work hard and do your job you do not have anything to worry about..." I was a conscientious part timer for 35 years and a hard worker. Like everyone else at UPS, I needed the Union for rules to make the company respect the employees and pay us a decent salary with benefits. I needed the Union when I was FIRED because I refused to continue working standing IN a puddle of HAZARDOUS WASTE and needed to go to the emergency room from the fumes. I needed the union when I was layed-off after working there for 30 years, even though I was the most senior employee in my unit. In needed the union when I was layed-off again for needing to use an FMLA day. I needed the union when I was harassed by supervisors... Anyone who thinks that they don't need the Union because they will be treated well at UPS if they are a hard worker is in for a rude awakening.

memphis12

Thanks for the input. I will be seeing my HR rep later tonight so I will ask him a few questions regarding this based on the rules of my specific location. What I'm thinking is, if it's possible, i'll hold off on joining the union immediately, but plan on joining a little later down the road. Any suggestions on loader/unloader question? Just trying to see which one I'm more likely be able adapt to physically with less struggle starting off since I'm really going to have to be working myself into shape when I start. Thanks again everyone.

UPSGUY72

Thanks for the input. I will be seeing my HR rep later tonight so I will ask him a few questions regarding this based on the rules of my specific location. What I'm thinking is, if it's possible, i'll hold off on joining the union immediately, but plan on joining a little later down the road. Any suggestions on loader/unloader question? Just trying to see which one I'm more likely be able adapt to physically with less struggle starting off since I'm really going to have to be working myself into shape when I start. Thanks again everyone.

They are going to put your where they need you not where you want to work...

If you not going to join the union plan on showing up to work everyday and staying out of trouble.....

Minneapolis

Unloading is a lot more physical demanding than loading but all you have to do is unload packages. Loading has more responsibilities (i.e. Scanning pkgs and looking out for misloads and hazmats.