Gotta Vent

browniehound

What I want to know is how much over-allowed is "acceptable" to management. Because we don't deliver packages in a vaccum, and obviously can't run scratch every day. All it takes is one traffice delay and your good numbers are history.

I have a few questions. How much does running a misload off your route affect your numbers? I remember a misload I was told to deliver on the "way in". The misload was in the next town over but near the border of another town in a completely different center. It took me about 30 minutes to deliver it and get back on trace. Should I catch hell for being at least 30 minutes over? I have more questions but this post is already too long, sorry.

trickpony1

cachsux-
I tried to give you reputation points for the post regarding the weakness in comprehension of some people but the computer wouldn't let me....so I'll say it here........

Couldn't have said it better myself!
You go!

Griff

Is there actually anyone out there running three hours under?

There is 5-10 drivers in my center that run 3 hours under regularly. I've heard a few times of people coming in 4 hours under as well. All the running and corner-cutting in the world won't get you that much under scratch, but guess what guys...the numbers are right!

badpal

There is 5-10 drivers in my center that run 3 hours under regularly. I've heard a few times of people coming in 4 hours under as well. All the running and corner-cutting in the world won't get you that much under scratch, but guess what guys...the numbers are right!
They must have thier wives delivering residentials out of her surburban. I think your center needs a time study.

Megansman

What exactly goes into the numbers? I've run heavy routes with huge pick ups (like 1100 pieces) and bonused plenty, but similar routes don't pay as well... does anyone have a clue?

wily_old_vet

What exactly goes into the numbers? I've run heavy routes with huge pick ups (like 1100 pieces) and bonused plenty, but similar routes don't pay as well... does anyone have a clue?

Miles to and from route, miles on route, dr stops in each defined area, signature stops in each defined area, cod's collected, call tags completed, pickup stops in each defined area, on call air stops, total delivery pkgs, total pickup pkgs, total on call air pkgs, total nda pkgs picked up, total high value pkgs picked up and dropped off at high value station. Each defined delivery area has a different allowance for dr pkgs and signature pkgs. When a time study is done everything is counted to make these allowances such as opening bulkhead door, opening rear door, steps to and from the delivery, elevator wait time. This is why you can have two routes run similar stops, pkgs and miles and still have way different planned days.

over9five

Staff member
"What exactly goes into the numbers?"

That's like asking what goes into hotdogs.... Or what the mystery meat at the caf was... No one really knows.

I would agree with stops, miles, pieces, but there is also the secret squirrel mystery allowance which is made up of some of the following:

1. Whether or not the dispatcher had chili last night.

2. What day of the week it is.

3. Percentage of chipmunks on your route.

4. Sexual orientation of your center manager.

Overpaid Union Thug

Does entering the unit code for stops that are off your route make a difference? Sometimes I get stops added that are on the other side of town because the route doesn't have enough work to plan. I'll call the center and ask for the unit codes for the stops. It supposedly helps. I was told that if you enter an address that isn't in your diad but you don't enter the unit code for that area then your "numbers" will be jacked up. Anyone have experience with this?

over9five

Staff member
I think some of you care a little too much about their numbers. It's a rookie thing. After you get some years in, you'll realize that the numbers are simply a game for management. Don't play their games! Do your job the best you can everyday, and never look at the OR.

As soon as they know they can't intimidate you with the OR is the day they stop trying to. Plenty of other young rookies they can intimidate.

Overpaid Union Thug

I think some of you care a little too much about their numbers. It's a rookie thing. After you get some years in, you'll realize that the numbers are simply a game for management. Don't play their games! Do your job the best you can everyday, and never look at the OR.

As soon as they know they can't intimidate you with the OR is the day they stop trying to. Plenty of other young rookies they can intimidate.

I look at the OR because I'm a relatively new driver and I'm interested in how the crap works. LOL. If I think I've had a good day or a bad day I'll look at it. I won't look at it the next morning if I had an average day. I like to look because it amazes me how when I think I've had a good day sometimes it'll show that I ran over and sometimes when I think I've had a bad day it shows I ran under! It is a good source of amuzement right before start time.

wily_old_vet

Does entering the unit code for stops that are off your route make a difference? Sometimes I get stops added that are on the other side of town because the route doesn't have enough work to plan. I'll call the center and ask for the unit codes for the stops. It supposedly helps. I was told that if you enter an address that isn't in your diad but you don't enter the unit code for that area then your "numbers" will be jacked up. Anyone have experience with this?

Generally when you run deliveries in a defined area that has more to from miles than your route you will get killed on allowances. Like 9.5 says don't worry about it, it is their problem not yours if you run way over because you ran a misroute.

sendagain

The numbers get crunched down with each contract; how often I saw the allowances go down after getting a raise, I can't begin to recall. Fact is, almost nobody works for incentive pay anymore. It's basically just a job that pays by the hour now, and those are hard worked hours.

SignatureRequired

This must vary from building to building. In CT...i never hear about paid over/under. I cover 20 routes in my center...i work at the same pace on each of them. I take my breaks, when i finish i go home. If somebody doesnt like it...they can go and do the route themselves. Ill go home and do crunches all day...get my abs ready for the summer.