Government Contract?

bbsam

Staff member
Several months ago it was learned that UPS was awarded a contract with the Federal Government over Fedex. I figured that certainly the route that goes on the Army Arsenal here would drop off significantly, but it hasn't at all. Anyone have any ideas?

Several months ago it was learned that UPS was awarded a contract with the Federal Government over Fedex. I figured that certainly the route that goes on the Army Arsenal here would drop off significantly, but it hasn't at all. Anyone have any ideas?

If we got the contract wouldn't the route have more volume?

edd_tv

Cardboard picker upper
we have a big office for the V A that is serviced out of our bldg. something like 100 nda coming in daily and another 125-150 going out in the afternoon, all nda that supposedly came from usps and fedex

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
Ive noticed a lot of those NDA's on my route. Almost all are from the V.A. and are generally medecine. They also come as savers and 2 days, I have also noticed new packages from the U.S. Treasury Department. With the news that we got the J.C. Pennys account back as well, this is all good news for us at UPS. Been talking with my brother who drives for FedEx Ground, and he says that the volume in his building is way down. Maybe those at FedEx could better ellaborate.

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
There was a pretty big GSA contract awarded to UPS recently. I think it's $400 million a year in business. It's supposed to save the gov a billion dollars over then next 5 years.

TUT

There was a pretty big GSA contract awarded to UPS recently. I think it's $400 million a year in business. It's supposed to save the gov a billion dollars over then next 5 years.

It's hard to believe they can save any money. When Fedex or UPS contract with the gov't many times you are in the 70-80% discount range which is pretty much unheard of everywhere else. Prior to UPS getting this business the Gov't was getting an amazing discount. So really how much more can they save? Probably just politics on that savings number. However I don't know what Gov't medical rates have been with the carriers, probably going from Priority Overnight to UPS Lite as part of the new Gov't medical plan, stuff will come already expired. lol

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
Hell yes. The more the better. Figure on $100,000. (Just sold a route for that much:happy2:)

A hundred K investment for a drivers job seem like a pretty high price to pay for a business/job that supposedly pays less than a normal FedEx or UPS driver makes? What is the approximate gross a route brings in per year?