Government Contract?

bbsam

Staff member
A hundred K investment for a drivers job seem like a pretty high price to pay for a business/job that supposedly pays less than a normal FedEx or UPS driver makes? What is the approximate gross a route brings in per year?
Slightly over $100,000. Consider it like this. What's a college education cost? 100K? Now what if while paying that off you can still clear $30,000 for 5 years. Know any college students bringing in that money with the investment on the business for the future? Truly not for everyone, but I've found it profitable.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
I dont see how this arraingment attracts people, 30000 dollars for the time and headache is not much. When you figure in that you will still need to provide insurance for yourself and vehicle I just dont see the upside. At UPS a top scale driver can make over 80000 dollars and have benefits. But maybe thats why FedEx loves it because it does not attract the smart people, you know the ones that would be smart enough to join forces with other I.C.'s to better negotiate terms for themselves.

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
My nephew is a FDX Express driver and mentioned that they lost the VA account recently. I've never seen him so happy. He says most all are signature required and almost all need three attempts to get it off.

He also mentioned if you stop and their not home and leave info notice, you can almost be assured they will be screaming for a re-attempt the same day.

I've already notice this happening to me.

fxdwg

Long Time Member
Slightly over $100,000. Consider it like this. What's a college education cost? 100K? Now what if while paying that off you can still clear $30,000 for 5 years. Know any college students bringing in that money with the investment on the business for the future? Truly not for everyone, but I've found it profitable.

I think we should all dictate that our children attend and graduate college!!! (I do and don't want to argue with anyone on BC about details)

fxdwg

Long Time Member
Again... MY post is what I think and what I'll do.
My kids are all in college and hopefully will do better than I.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I agree 100% on the need for a college education in today's world. I have a couple of suggestions for those who have children nearing that point in their lives. First of all, check out your local community colleges. Most will have an arrangement (we call it 2+2) with a local 4 yr college in which all of the credits will transfer directly from the CC. CC's are much, much cheaper and are a good transition for those students who may not have done as well in HS as they would have liked. It is also a cheaper way to find out if college is right for them. I would not recommend a CC for very strong students as it would not benefit them. Secondly, make sure that your children pay for a portion of their education. This gives them a reason to do well. When my son went away for his 1st year at SUNY IT (Utica, NY) his mother and I split the bill between us. He decided he would rather party than go to class. He has since graduated from our local CC and will be going FT to SUNY Plattsburgh in the fall on his own dime. It's amazing how much more serious he has been since he has been paying the bill.

Back to the OP--the only new volume we have seen from this are the VA meds, which are all A8.

hudson

The GSA contract is a slow roll out...Last I heard it was it has been delayed due to some billing issues. We will eventually get everyone moved over to UPS, but it is going to take some time.

bbsam

Staff member
The GSA contract is a slow roll out...Last I heard it was it has been delayed due to some billing issues. We will eventually get everyone moved over to UPS, but it is going to take some time.
Could ya hurry up a bit? I have to run the arsenal route again in a couple months and the less military lingo I have to read the better. TACOM-AMSTA-LC-M? What kind of address is that?!:happy-very: