Government forced healthcare?

Should our government force health care on unwilling citizens?

• Yes

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • No

Votes: 16 84.2%
  • Yes for children, but not for adults

Votes: 2 10.5%

• Total voters

over9five

Staff member
Should our government be able to force unwilling citizens to have chemo and radiation against their will?

The mother in this story has taken her son and gone into hiding after a judge ordered cancer treatment against their will and their religious beliefs.
If they catch them, will it be ok for our government to tie him down in order to get him to take the treatment?
Chemo and radiation are extremely painful. Why is it ok to force radiation on an unwilling citizen, but waterboarding a terrorist is torture?

Poll question is: Should our government be able to force healthcare?

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
In this case, the boy should get treatment. This is a case of child abuse on the part of the mother. She is denying medical treatment to him that will save his life.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
In this case, the boy should get treatment. This is a case of child abuse on the part of the mother. She is denying medical treatment to him that will save his life.

This is torture.
The government has declared that chemo , which is the method of using poisons as a cure, is the only option. Sounds like big business medical firms have brain-washed everyone. There are other options out there.

av8torntn

I think the last thing we should be doing is giving up more of our freedoms. The parents and the child should be allowed the freedom to seek whatever treatments they desire. I do not believe that it takes a village to raise a child only two parents.

over9five

Staff member
I think it's insane that our government is hunting these people down like criminals, and will chain this boy to a table and force these treatments on him.

A family decision regarding their own health-care options has been made, but our government feels they know better and are going to use force to get its way.

But water-boarding terrorists is unhumane...

wkmac

It funny how some, even many of those in gov't who would hold up Roe V Wade as if godspeak in that the gov't has no say between a woman and her doctor. I wonder why the gov't doesn't hold itself to the same standard in this case as well?

I may or may not agree with the choices made by this parent or any parent but as a parent, sometimes there are risks no matter which way you go and quite often no definitive direction either. IMO, the gov't dictating that this boy should be forced to a specific medical treatment is just more of a type forced monopoly upon society in general. This has been typical gov't in all to many other areas as well.

Whether Baba's comment that "chemo is a poison used as cure" was made in jest or not, from my POV it's still true even though it has had success. Regardless, it's still destructive on the body and we also know that with vaccines, there is a certain % that will have bad reactions with bad consequences and yet gov't is able to forc....manipulate the public in following that medical monopoly.

I appreciate the many fine comments being made and no matter which way the boy and his mother go regarding treatment, I hope and pray not only for the boy but as a father of 4 kids, the son of a father whose had cancer and the son-n-law of a mother whom cancer took, that this boy beats it because for everyone that does survive, it's more promising for the rest of us. It also the very reason I pray for Ted Kennedy everyday even though I detest his politics!

jmo

diesel96

To those all wrapped up in politics and religion, and allow these two elements to dominate your thinking process when it comes to greatly lessoning the survival chances of your child, IMO are un-fit parents.

I know she's being a mama bear and just trying to protect her son the best way she knows how but in this case she is hurting his chances at survival when there is a proven method that works at getting rid of his cancer.

The child has Hodgkins lymphoma, a highly curable form of cancer when treated with chemo and radiation. But the teen and his parents rejected chemo after a single treatment, with the boy's mother saying that putting toxic substances in the body violates the family's religious convictions

The Gov't shouldn't care if your an adult and you choose the medical/alternative path to wittle away with a slow aganizing debilatating slow death. But the Gov't should have every right to uphold the standards to insure the health, welfare, and education of America's children from unfit parents. Sorry, but IMO, and in my world, parents don't play GOD when it comes to saving a child's life.

Another ex :You may love your child so much and yet allow them to eat themselves to death or contribute to their health complications later in life, simply cause you want to pamper the child from hunger pains, and in this case over norture, IMO is an unfit parent and needs counseling.....and IMO, the Gov't should mandate revitalizing phyiscal fitness and proper diet programs back in schools (public and private), to slim America's fatass children and reduce healthcare risks/cost in the future.....

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
To those all wrapped up in politics and religion, and allow these two elements to dominate your thinking process when it comes to greatly lessoning the survival chances of your child, IMO are un-fit parents.

Well put, I'm glad somebody agrees with me. If an adult wants to not seek treatment, then fine. There are a lot of parents in this world that do a poor job of making important decisions, and this is a life or death one. This is a child who can be cured and will not die. Cancer is nothing to play around with, survival depends on soon it is diagnosed and treated. If one of my sons was diagnosed with cancer, there is no way I would start treating it with some cactus juice from the medicine man and wait for him to get better. I would immediately seek out the best doctors I could find and remortgage my house if I had to to save his life. I watched my father bleed to death internally from cancer that was diagnosed too late. He refused the morphine to ease his pain. That is not the way to die, believe me.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
http://www.billybest.net/BillysStory.htm

Please read this story.
It goes along with many posts here that have deemed the mother as an unfit parent, for the Best parents were also called unfit, but the gov't did not get involved.
There are methods to fight cancer that do not involve putting more poisons into your body.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Well put, I'm glad somebody agrees with me. If an adult wants to not seek treatment, then fine. There are a lot of parents in this world that do a poor job of making important decisions, and this is a life or death one. This is a child who can be cured and will not die. Cancer is nothing to play around with, survival depends on soon it is diagnosed and treated. If one of my sons was diagnosed with cancer, there is no way I would start treating it with some cactus juice from the medicine man and wait for him to get better. I would immediately seek out the best doctors I could find and remortgage my house if I had to to save his life. I watched my father bleed to death internally from cancer that was diagnosed too late. He refused the morphine to ease his pain. That is not the way to die, believe me.

I know she's being a mama bear and just trying to protect her son the best way she knows how but in this case she is hurting his chances at survival when there is a proven method that works at getting rid of his cancer.

The child has Hodgkins lymphoma, a highly curable form of cancer when treated with chemo and radiation. But the teen and his parents rejected chemo after a single treatment, with the boy's mother saying that putting toxic substances in the body violates the family's religious convictions

The Gov't shouldn't care if your an adult and you choose the medical/alternative path to wittle away with a slow aganizing debilatating slow death. But the Gov't should have every right to uphold the standards to insure the health, welfare, and education of America's children from unfit parents. Sorry, but IMO, and in my world, parents don't play GOD when it comes to saving a child's life.

Another ex :You may love your child so much and yet allow them to eat themselves to death or contribute to their health complications later in life, simply cause you want to pamper the child from hunger pains, and in this case over norture, IMO is an unfit parent and needs counseling.....and IMO, the Gov't should mandate revitalizing phyiscal fitness and proper diet programs back in schools (public and private), to slim America's fatass children and reduce healthcare risks/cost in the future.....

Please read this story.
It goes along with many posts here that have deemed the mother as an unfit parent, for the Best parents were also called unfit, but the gov't did not get involved.
There are methods to fight cancer that do not involve putting more poisons into your body.
All of these are very interesting points to ponder. I pray to God that I am never faced with making such a choice, but if I am, that He will give me the wisdom to choose what is right.

tourists24

IMO are un-fit parents.

Sorry, but IMO, and in my world, parents don't play GOD when it comes to saving a child's life.
So the parent cant play GOD, but the government can? Who's to say who is unfit and who is not,,,, you? (IMO?),,,,, the government?

I know the points in this case may not be what you like, but I think this is giving the government (GOD) too much say. What happens next time if it's your child and you want to do what you think is right, but the government says "No you WILL do it this way". Sad story but why do you or the government get to judge which parents are fit or unfit? There is a place for social services, but be careful where you draw your lines....

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
So the parent cant play GOD, but the government can? Who's to say who is unfit and who is not,,,, you? (IMO?),,,,, the government?

I know the points in this case may not be what you like, but I think this is giving the government (GOD) too much say. What happens next time if it's your child and you want to do what you think is right, but the government says "No you WILL do it this way". Sad story but why do you or the government get to judge which parents are fit or unfit? There is a place for social services, but be careful where you draw your lines....

And yet another good point.

fethrs

I have no right posting this, I am not a parent, but some people are unfit to be one and they don't have the brains to make the right choices for their own kids.
What happens? The kids suffer because the parent(s) can't even make a right or good decision. Sometimes God/the gvt, know more than the parents do and the kids at least have a chance at a life.

Babagounj

Strength through joy

Please read this story.

In Billy Best's case , the child make the choice.
And today he is quite alive & healthy.

tieguy

Banned
I think the last thing we should be doing is giving up more of our freedoms. The parents and the child should be allowed the freedom to seek whatever treatments they desire. I do not believe that it takes a village to raise a child only two parents.

think about what you're saying here. The child is a child and not able to think for thierselves. The parents should not be able to make a decision that allows that child to die when the medical knowledge is there to save his life.

We who are conservatives believe that all life is precious and all life should be saved. We can not deviate from that belief in this or any case if we are to be consistent.

Its not that government is necessarily intruding into our lives though they are in this case. Its that the parents are making a medical decision they are not qualified to make. someone with rational thought has to speak for the child.

There would be other examples where poor parenting decisions could result in damage to the child. We have an obligation to look out for that childs well being and to hold the parents accountable for its rearing.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I have no right posting this, I am not a parent, but some people are unfit to be one and they don't have the brains to make the right choices for their own kids.
What happens? The kids suffer because the parent(s) can't even make a right or good decision. Sometimes God/the gvt, know more than the parents do and the kids at least have a chance at a life.
Who's to say? There's more to this than meets the eye.

diesel96

Please read this story.

In Billy Best's case , the child make the choice.
And today he is quite alive & healthy.

Very inspirational story, however, this made national headlines because of it's miraculous outcome. Would you take that chance on one of your own ? But I do pray one day a natural cure evolves and the drug companies don't shoot it down......

I know this isn't the answer you want to hear, but scientists, scientific data and the medical community have a say in a child's treatment, not the Reverend, Preacher or Pastor......but the medical community can't enforce overseers so that's where social services steps in.

Your child, is not a piece of property. Outside of the mothers womb it's a human being/ citizen, protected by rights in this country. You don't own or do as you please with a child thats deemed morally and unlawfully wrong. Were dealing with a child here, this isn't a social, libertarian or religious issue. Parents are responsible for the well being of their children otherwise Janet Reno will pay you a visit....

You have every right to post on this topic. All one has to do is turn on the local news or watch an episode of "Cops" and see all the disturb trashy people (and parents) who live and breed amongst us.

tourists24

Very inspirational story, however, this made national headlines because of it's miraculous outcome. Would you take that chance on one of your own ?

Your child, is not a piece of property. Outside of the mothers womb it's a human being/ citizen, protected by rights in this country. You don't own or do as you please with a child thats deemed morally and unlawfully wrong.
Yet you are willing to let the government own your child? I guess it does take a village

Were dealing with a child here, this isn't a social, libertarian or religious issue. Parents are responsible for the well being of their children otherwise Janet Reno will pay you a visit....

You have every right to post on this topic. All one has to do is turn on the local news or watch an episode of "Cops" and see all the disturb trashy people (and parents) who live and breed amongst us.

Again, since society doesnt meet your specifications on being morally right and wrong, you want the government to be GOD. Parents have to be able to make these kind of decisions. Its not anyone trying to force religion on you, it's called freedom. A parent may not own their child like property, but they sure do more than government.