GPS in the future?

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
I don't think they will give us gaps for the simple reason it would be something g the driver would control. PAS and Orion are cumbersome and require massive support staff to implement and maintain. This justifies the existence of many mid-level mgt staff. Give a driver a $100 tom tom and off he goes.

UPSGUY72

They will not have a GPS in the cars for two reasons. The first cost associated with fixing them when they break or get damaged and the most important one. They become a distraction to the drivers thus a safety issue.

Marne Vet

To me figuring out where you're going isn't the hard part about going out blind. It's delivery points. Give me a map on a rural route and I'll do just fine. Make me hunt for the correct delivery location at 100 business stops and it'll get ugly fast.

Exactly. On a trip in the city with commercial and residential stops, getting to the area and getting started is easy. Knowing where all the delivery points are, who to see for signatures (yes, some places make you go to one person), or how the truck is set-up for a particular trip is what slows people down. EDD is a joke. Especially when the truck is blown-out. If it's in a running loop you might have one area on the 1000 shelf today, and tomorrow it might be on the 2000 shelf. I do foresee a day when GPS is implemented directly onboard the package cars, integrated with our DIADs, and even have some sort of microchip type stickers on the packages themselves that know EXACTLY where the packages are inside the vehicles cutting down on having to dig for them. Who knows, but the current system still sucks. I've driven before EDD, DIADs, and cameras, and have gone out a few times forgetting to download EDD, and didn't have a problem. All I saw EDD give me was more work and more paperwork to worry about getting placed on.

wayfair

swollen member
I've driven before EDD, DIADs, and cameras, and have gone out a few times forgetting to download EDD, and didn't have a problem. All I saw EDD give me was more work and more paperwork to worry about getting placed on.

we had a few times in our building where the system was down in the AM and couldn't d load EDD... the look of horror on the faces from the newer drivers was priceless... the only thing I worried about was hoping the preloader got the stuff in at least the right section, since they don't have area knowledge anymore

Marne Vet

we had a few times in our building where the system was down in the AM and couldn't d load EDD... the look of horror on the faces from the newer drivers was priceless... the only thing I worried about was hoping the preloader got the stuff in at least the right section, since they don't have area knowledge anymore

I love when a guy gets a truck and the camera is broken and throws a fit. A lot of us just laugh and tell them to back-up to docks the old fashioned way. When you hit it you know you're on it! haha

govols019

You smell that?
Oh, how I hated the backup camera when they first put them in the trucks. Now, I'd shoot you if you tried to take it out.

BrownChoice

The thing is, the upcoming generation lives and depends on technology, they know nothing else.. I do not hold that against them... It is funny though to watch old timers piss and moan, " back in the day all I had was a clipboard!!"

Well OldTimer, we're not back in the day anymore....

As for myself, Im kinda in between so I don't have some of the problems the young bucks do.. Plus I have a great work ethic, which also seems to be fading away on the young ones....

S

selfcancelsignal

They will not have a GPS in the cars for two reasons. The first cost associated with fixing them when they break or get damaged and the most important one. They become a distraction to the drivers thus a safety issue.
I'd rather have better heating & cooling & a solid tuneage setup than GPS. LMAO.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Anybody that NEEDS gps to run a route should stick to delivering pizzas.

For the most part, Cach, I agree. But, for my last couple years, they would pull all my easy end-of-day residentials and give them to trips near me in appeasement to the gods of stops per car. Then, I would get bits and pieces all over town to finish my day. I am not ashamed to say that if I had something on a street I had never heard of or been on in 25 years, I would go right to my phone to find it.:surprised:

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
With the company trying to simplify the driver job, does anyone on BC think they will implement gps in package cars in the future?

It seems that could take care of the problem of going out on routes cold, but havent thought of how they would implement it with all the data and now ORION..

Thoughts?

Next time you clock in (assuming you're a package car driver or someone who uses a DIAD), go to the communication screen and hit the #8 (even though it isn't a menu option) and realize that UPS knows where you are down to 7 GPS decimal points at any given time.

At this point realize that what you fear or anticipate to be the future, has already happened.

They will most certainly expand GPS technology for reason much bigger than drivers in the blind.
UPS, along with the USPS, will most likely sell their findings to the rest of the industry.

Last edited:

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Next time you clock in (assuming you're a package car driver or someone who uses a DIAD), go to the communication screen and hit the #8 (even though it isn't a menu option) and realize that UPS knows where you are down to 7 GPS decimal points at any given time.

At this point realize that what you fear or anticipate to be the future, has already happened.

They will most certainly expand GPS technology.
UPS, along with the USPS, will most likely sell their findings to the rest of the industry.

That's been there for a long time. I actually compared it once to a USGS benchmark on my route once and it was right on the money.